IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

11 hours ago, Finn balor said:

the pleasing thing is brands has connections to the top teams and will continue to do so. It’s also pleasing to hear Gomes was out of our price range on a permanent deal, and we had a budget on Mina that we never budged on 

Where did he say Gomez was out of our price range and we had a budget on Mina Finn?

9 minutes ago, Paddock said:

Where did he say Gomez was out of our price range and we had a budget on Mina Finn?

He does say in his recent interviews that there was a price we wanted to pay for Mina and we didn't want to go above it, so took a risk and held out.

And I'm sure he says Barcelona only wanted to sell Gomes, the transfer would be too expensive so he held out for a loan.

Thing with these interviews, annoyingly, is you have to read several sources to get the full interview. Each source seems to just cherry pick different quotes etc.

2 hours ago, Newty82 said:

He does say in his recent interviews that there was a price we wanted to pay for Mina and we didn't want to go above it, so took a risk and held out.

And I'm sure he says Barcelona only wanted to sell Gomes, the transfer would be too expensive so he held out for a loan.

Thing with these interviews, annoyingly, is you have to read several sources to get the full interview. Each source seems to just cherry pick different quotes etc.

Ah ok- I listened to that 3 times thinking I kept missing it :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think the problem for us now is that itonically the squad is pretty good - there aren’t massive gaps to fill like before (not long ago there was no pace, no left footed players etc).  Brands has done a spectacular rebuilding.

So to make the team better means upgrading players that are already good.

For example, a player that is better than Pidgeon Boy is a £80-100m player at a top club.  It’s going to be difficult to get them and means quality gets demoted to the bench.

That “next tier” of player will be hard to obtain imo.

20 minutes ago, jofanon said:

I think the problem for us now is that itonically the squad is pretty good - there aren’t massive gaps to fill like before (not long ago there was no pace, no left footed players etc).  Brands has done a spectacular rebuilding.

So to make the team better means upgrading players that are already good.

For example, a player that is better than Pidgeon Boy is a £80-100m player at a top club.  It’s going to be difficult to get them and means quality gets demoted to the bench.

That “next tier” of player will be hard to obtain imo.

For me we've gone from being an almost bottom 8 squad to a top 6 squad in one window......

That takes some doing. 

We had ageing legs, players like jags and Baines approaching their last appearances. A midfield void of balance and no width to looking like a proper outfit who the top 4 won't fancy playing. 

I'm excited about the next transfer window. 

3 hours ago, hafnia said:

For me we've gone from being an almost bottom 8 squad to a top 6 squad in one window......

That takes some doing. 

We had ageing legs, players like jags and Baines approaching their last appearances. A midfield void of balance and no width to looking like a proper outfit who the top 4 won't fancy playing. 

I'm excited about the next transfer window. 

What realistically would you upgrade though?  

It’s exciting to think that we have vlasic and Henry to come in the summer. I agree it’s a right back and a striker but I think that can wait till the summer. The lad at palace is just the type of player we should be targeting. For a forward I like batyshia, Traore. That would give us Cenk, Charlie and one other. Getting Gomes in jan is the priority