IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

5 hours ago, Matt said:

True, but that’s not the problem it once was. Besides, the alternative is spend at least 4 times what we’d lose position wise on a player(s) - not including everything that comes with that -  that might not improve us at all. It makes more sense to me to give everyone their chance during the season and go for another, well planned, recruitment drive in the summer rather than over pay on a gamble mid season. 

I agree with your concept of giving the youngsters a chance, I also would like to see DCL given the job for the rest of the year (and more time for lookman) I don’t agree that money issues are magically all gone and we can finish anywhere and the money doesn’t matter.  Similarly your ideas on player recruitment that we don’t need to maximize sell on value due to having rich moshiri I don’t agree with.  It’s a business and buy low sell high and smart buys and finishing high in the league are still important to other top sides (see spurs arsenal Bayern Man U) and they are to us as well.  

5 hours ago, nogs said:

We lose millions in every overpriced flop we bring in

Agreed, thank God we got rid of Steve Walsh.  Brands has been more frugal.

5 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

This isn'ttt the time for panic buys and I don't think Brands works that way anyway.

Agreed on both accounts.

9 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I agree with your concept of giving the youngsters a chance, I also would like to see DCL given the job for the rest of the year (and more time for lookman) I don’t agree that money issues are magically all gone and we can finish anywhere and the money doesn’t matter.  Similarly your ideas on player recruitment that we don’t need to maximize sell on value due to having rich moshiri I don’t agree with.  It’s a business and buy low sell high and smart buys and finishing high in the league are still important to other top sides (see spurs arsenal Bayern Man U) and they are to us as well.  

Agreed, thank God we got rid of Steve Walsh.  Brands has been more frugal.

Agreed on both accounts.

Didn’t say the money side is irrelevant (did I?), I’m saying it’s not the issue it once was and long term finances are the key, meaning short term loses are acceptable if it helps secure long term wealth and success 

It’s a sad state of modern football though when even the fans want clubs to be ran as a business. 

I understand it’s the reality of the modern game, but doesn’t make it any less saddening.

Many clubs rely on the business side more than the clubs fortunes, which Unfortunately don’t run hand in hand. I remember reading about perennial mid table clubs like Southampton and how the owners don’t really care about where the club are going, only about the cash flow. 

I never thought we would end up here as well. Sad days indeed.

On the money side, we still don't have the muscle (or the European football) to be competing at the very top end of the transfer market, which is clearly where Moshiri wants us to be (and so does every fan). But almost out of frustration at not being able to grab the kind of players the top 6 in the PL want or the big CL teams, we've been lured into spending what still amounts to big money on players who simply are not in that top bracket. Either that or we've  paif over the odds to get, ie Sigurdsson and Richarlison. 

I'd like to see two or three under the radar signings in January at most, a few million each on youngsters that Brands has identified as having big potential but are yet to be attracting the real top clubs. Over the past four years or so we have missed out on some real talent in the sub-£20m, u23 market while spunking silly money on shite like Bolasie and Schneiderlin. We're suffering from that approach week in, week out because our first team squad still doesn't fit a coherent way of playing. It's like name and price tag came before strategy and actually building a football team. I want to see an end to that once and for all, I want to see shrewd signings for hungry young talent that can be coached to play a certain way and fit a long term football vision. 

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

See Man Utd buying Van Persie to win the league, no sell on value. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Ferguson didn't exactly leave the club in a good spot, though. They are still trying to get back because for the last few seasons he wasn't interested in the long run anymore.

And Manchester United can afford to throw 30 million away on a short-term solution.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Yeah we need to have the long term vision always because due to FFP we simply can’t throw money at issues.  We have to build slow and steady while the commercial grows to match it.  

As much as we need long term vision we still have to look after the short term. They are equally important. 

5 hours ago, StevO said:

That's not a fair comparison though. Man Utd were already the biggest club in the country and could attract/afford virtually whoever they liked. Same with a certain kid called Rooney. With the best will in the world we just cannot attract the very best players at the moment, we have to be thinking two steps ahead at players we can improve

12 hours ago, Makis said:

Ferguson didn't exactly leave the club in a good spot, though. They are still trying to get back because for the last few seasons he wasn't interested in the long run anymore.

And Manchester United can afford to throw 30 million away on a short-term solution.

Thats a bit of a myth isnt it? 

They won the league, the best keeper in world football, a squad full of talented players, 4 front line goal scorers in Berbatov, Rooney, RVP and Hernandez, and he had young players on the periphery waiting to make their mark (Keane, Zaha, Lingard, King). 

On 30/12/2018 at 22:25, Aidan said:

I'd rather wait until the summer in order to sign the targets that we want than risk signing a flop in January just to gain a few more points for this season.

Everybody calls for patience but when it gets down to it want's everything to happen all at once. We've introduced Digne, Mina, Zouma, Gomes, Bernard and Richarlison into the squad in the summer, they've played upwards of only 15 or so games so far this season. Lets allow this squad to gel, do some proper scouting, not panic and buy properly in the summer.

Of course, I'd be happy with a signing this Jan, but it has to be a meticulous one.

I'm confident we can achieve 7th with the current squad we have - and if we don't, then we regroup and go into next season with a strengthened squad and a proper pre-season.

I take it back for Christ sake sign anyone and everyone all right now.

He's got work on his hands...

First point of call... meet Silva and try and establish if he knows what he is trying to do.  Seems to be throwing darts at the moment just hoping to land a bullseye. 

Second point of call get rid of a few players

If we could get a profit on pickford then sell.... he's lacking in between his ears. The supposed money would be too good not too. He should have thrown his cap on vardys shot.

Walcott... got to go.  Poor.  Coleman or Kenny not good enough... need a proper technical striker. 

We need two strikers as Cenk and niasse are not good enough and I’m not convinced about DCL. Pickford is still young in goalkeepers terms his career has been accelerated on the hype of the England team. He needs a GOOD experienced keeper to push him. We should have bought hart or we should be in for Heaton at burnley

11 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

We need two strikers as Cenk and niasse are not good enough and I’m not convinced about DCL. Pickford is still young in goalkeepers terms his career has been accelerated on the hype of the England team. He needs a GOOD experienced keeper to push him. We should have bought hart or we should be in for Heaton at burnley

Yes, we need a back-up keeper who is good enough to stand in for Pickford, because Pickford needs to be dropped when he's not performing, which has been too often of late.

17 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Heaton maybe, Hart definitely not, have you seen him the last two seasons? ( Can only assume you had a heavy night last night🙀😜)

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

He's got work on his hands...

First point of call... meet Silva and try and establish if he knows what he is trying to do.  Seems to be throwing darts at the moment just hoping to land a bullseye. 

Second point of call get rid of a few players

If we could get a profit on pickford then sell.... he's lacking in between his ears. The supposed money would be too good not too. He should have thrown his cap on vardys shot.

Walcott... got to go.  Poor.  Coleman or Kenny not good enough... need a proper technical striker. 

I've been critical of Pickford, but it's way too soon to be calling for him to be sold. He's still young and GKs get better with age. He's been one of our best players and we probably won't get a better keeper than him. 

2 hours ago, sibdane said:

I've been critical of Pickford, but it's way too soon to be calling for him to be sold. He's still young and GKs get better with age. He's been one of our best players and we probably won't get a better keeper than him. 

I'm not sure...

Couple of moments today where he turned a non threatening situation in to a red alert cos of his decisions.

Schmichael had one thing to do and was smart about it. 

15 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I'm not sure...

Couple of moments today where he turned a non threatening situation in to a red alert cos of his decisions.

Schmichael had one thing to do and was smart about it. 

Schmichael is experienced though and has years on Pickford.

Like others have said, he has saved us more points than he's cost us. He just needs to get his head straight. 

56 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Schmichael is experienced though and has years on Pickford.

Like others have said, he has saved us more points than he's cost us. He just needs to get his head straight. 

Someone who seems go be itk on Twitter mentioned pickfords increasing arrogance around the club... pinch of st of course but for me seems plausible.