Marcel Brands (DoF)

Louis

8 hours ago, StevO said:

As you’ve been a backer of his what has made you change your mind? That’s what doesn’t make any sense. 

I think a lot of people didn't quite grasp the size of the shitstorm we were in off the pitch. When Koeman came in, I remember saying its 5 years minimum to undo the damage the fat twat did in 6 months, its been pretty much the same story off the pitch too recovering from Walsh. Its a lack of patience to a degree, but I think it's more that expectations that should've been reasonable haven't been met, but would've been in a much better state if the foundations hadn't been completely fucked over in those 2 short years before Brands came. 

yeah same things shukes said, more diamond in the roughs since that's what he's known for.  to be honest chelsea has a woman who wasn't in football as their DOF running their stuff, so as far as Brands "handling the day to day" i don't really give shit, chelsea prove you can put any Exec there and get the job done.  i care about the football, and he had nothing to do with our biggest signings, they were all down to the managers.  Godfrey and Branthwaite initially look great but time will tell i'm not ready to say success story yet.  The outgoings have been less than stellar.  i was hoping he was going to be able to pull his agent strings and connection strings to get rid of people but it seems we are hamstrung every window with people who won't leave.  at other clubs they force them out, cancel contracts, make them train in a park.  look i get that it can be inhumane, but at the millions of pounds they are making, they might need that little extra push to get gone.  we have too many "nice guys'.

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

For me, I was expecting to see a few hidden gems come i to the team due to his extensive network. 
I would also be expecting a DoF to recognise where our weaknesses are and work to fixing them.

For whatever reasons, maybe not his fault... I don't feel we have addressed these issues. Now don’t get me wrong.... I felt we were moving in the right direction and my opinion has been swayed greatly by our form for the last ten matches.

But as of today...Brands may as well be Dave down the road for me. I’m not seeing anything different.

You don’t think he has recognised the weaknesses and is working to fix them?

Arent we only one point behind last seasons total with about a quarter of the season left to play? That’s progress for me. And he is definitely part of it. 

30 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah same things shukes said, more diamond in the roughs since that's what he's known for.  to be honest chelsea has a woman who wasn't in football as their DOF running their stuff, so as far as Brands "handling the day to day" i don't really give shit, chelsea prove you can put any Exec there and get the job done.  i care about the football, and he had nothing to do with our biggest signings, they were all down to the managers.  Godfrey and Branthwaite initially look great but time will tell i'm not ready to say success story yet.  The outgoings have been less than stellar.  i was hoping he was going to be able to pull his agent strings and connection strings to get rid of people but it seems we are hamstrung every window with people who won't leave.  at other clubs they force them out, cancel contracts, make them train in a park.  look i get that it can be inhumane, but at the millions of pounds they are making, they might need that little extra push to get gone.  we have too many "nice guys'.

Absolutely no grasp on reality. Your expectations are not realistic.  If it was all so easy everyone would do it. 

17 minutes ago, StevO said:

You don’t think he has recognised the weaknesses and is working to fix them?

Arent we only one point behind last seasons total with about a quarter of the season left to play? That’s progress for me. And he is definitely part of it. 

Rodriguez, Doucoure, Allan, and Digne easily outweigh the bad but Brands and Ancelotti could have done more.

Squad wise you tend to have two for every position plus an extra centre mid, striker, and either a creative player or centre back.

Yet we started the season with no back up right back, left back, or right mid (technically did have a right mid but let him go leaving us short). Also could have done with an experienced centre half and striker too (although the latter has been addressed in the January).

This is the main reason we've seen Godfrey and Holgate playing full back for a fair few games and even had Coleman cameo as a right mid. That's on Brands and Ancelotti.

Naming Gbamin in the 25 squad, who was never gonna be fit, over Bolasie and Besic was a poor decision. Letting Walcott go was baffling with no other right sided winger.

One of Gomes or Sigurdsson should have been moved on and replaced with a player more suited to Ancelotti's tactics. 

Personally I would have opted to transfer Bernard whilst he still had some value and had Bolasie around as third choice for a year. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Rodriguez, Doucoure, Allan, and Digne easily outweigh the bad but Brands and Ancelotti could have done more.

Squad wise you tend to have two for every position plus an extra centre mid, striker, and either a creative player or centre back.

Yet we started the season with no back up right back, left back, or right mid (technically did have a right mid but let him go leaving us short). Also could have done with an experienced centre half and striker too (although the latter has been addressed in the January).

This is the main reason we've seen Godfrey and Holgate playing full back for a fair few games and even had Coleman cameo as a right mid. That's on Brands and Ancelotti.

Naming Gbamin in the 25 squad, who was never gonna be fit, over Bolasie and Besic was a poor decision. Letting Walcott go was baffling with no other right sided winger.

One of Gomes or Sigurdsson should have been moved on and replaced with a player more suited to Ancelotti's tactics. 

Personally I would have opted to transfer Bernard whilst he still had some value and had Bolasie around as third choice for a year. 

I agree Pete, they could have done more.

We started the season with Kenny and Nkounkou as back up right back and left back. Just turned out they weren’t good enough. 
Completely agree we should have kept Walcott, he could have made more impact than Iwobi and Bernard. 

I hope is next 3 years are an upgrade on his last 3, I’m personally underwhelmed by what he’s done in the last 3, most of the old guards dead wood will be history at the end of the season, so what happens next will be on him, and he can start with offloading Delph because he was an embarrassing signing though I dare say he will be another who he can’t move and will see out his contract. 

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I hope is next 3 years are an upgrade on his last 3, I’m personally underwhelmed by what he’s done in the last 3, most of the old guards dead wood will be history at the end of the season, so what happens next will be on him, and he can start with offloading Delph because he was an embarrassing signing though I dare say he will be another who he can’t move and will see out his contract. 

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

here here

Plenty to debate here but for the most part I agree. The biggest thing for me is only one expensive miss. We had far too many of those with Walsh. We can miss on prospects all day, and we will, but when we spend 20m+ we need someone guaranteed to make the squad better.

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2021/4/21/22285944/marcel-brands-signs-new-everton-contract-latest-grading-all-his-everton-signings-transfer-window

2 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Plenty to debate here but for the most part I agree. The biggest thing for me is only one expensive miss. We had far too many of those with Walsh. We can miss on prospects all day, and we will, but when we spend 20m+ we need someone guaranteed to make the squad better.

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2021/4/21/22285944/marcel-brands-signs-new-everton-contract-latest-grading-all-his-everton-signings-transfer-window

Who are you talking about there?

I’m a little underwhelmed by his first contract time.

Bit then I remember we now have Allan, Doucoure, Godfrey and James... and think, that’s a real solid team in the making. A few more parts could really change our fortunes.

Maybe next year haha.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I’m a little underwhelmed by his first contract time.

Bit then I remember we now have Allan, Doucoure, Godfrey and James... and think, that’s a real solid team in the making. A few more parts could really change our fortunes.

Maybe next year haha.

Don't forget Delph, he's as solid as a small piece of eighth inch balsa wood; mobile as a large lump of concrete at the same time as well. That's versatility for you.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marcel-brands-everton-summer-contracts-20460755

"James Rodriguez, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Bernard, Seamus Coleman, Jonjoe Kenny, Fabian Delph and Cenk Tosun are all out of contract in 2022 but Brands will hope to have moved several on in advance."

The only one of those players you would want to keep beyond 2022 is James. I guess a case could be made for Kenny but he clearly isn't in Carlo's plans.

I do think they will all need to be replaced though and I think James will be 31 at the end of that contract so will need replacing too.

Brands has a lot of work on his hands these next couple of seasons!

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marcel-brands-everton-summer-contracts-20460755

"James Rodriguez, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Bernard, Seamus Coleman, Jonjoe Kenny, Fabian Delph and Cenk Tosun are all out of contract in 2022 but Brands will hope to have moved several on in advance."

The only one of those players you would want to keep beyond 2022 is James. I guess a case could be made for Kenny but he clearly isn't in Carlo's plans.

I do think they will all need to be replaced though and I think James will be 31 at the end of that contract so will need replacing too.

Brands has a lot of work on his hands these next couple of seasons!

Marca are reporting we are trying to sort out a new contract with James already. Might just be paper talk, but hopefully with him not really having any pace to lose he can stay at a good level for a few seasons. I’d love to see him really be a big part of a successful few seasons. Our Robinho if you will, but more like Aguero I hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

He’s not been great at actually selling players, been alright at getting the ones we don’t want loaned out.  I’m not his biggest fan so we will see what he does this summer.  There must be sales, we are in financial problems with FFP and stupid spending and COVID so let’s see how good this guy really is.  

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

The thing is, you can't sell what no one wants to buy. If we can all see that we've got a load of shit players then I'm certain other clubs know they're shit as well.

We're saddled with a lot of this crap until their contracts run down. This is why I'm horrified at the prospect of Gylfi getting a new contract - what on earth would possess someone to extend his time here when we're so close to the end of that nightmare?!

It’s his fault for buying them.  Bernard Delph iwobi Gomes Mina gbamin are whoppers on his CV.  I doubt we can move all of them but we need to.  That’s on marcel full stop. I’m not holding Gylfi or tosun against him because he didn’t buy them.  That lot I mentioned was over 100m pounds.  And we thought Walsh was bad!  Brands ain’t been much better

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

It’s his fault for buying them.  Bernard Delph iwobi Gomes Mina gbamin are whoppers on his CV.  I doubt we can move all of them but we need to.  That’s on marcel full stop. I’m not holding Gylfi or tosun against him because he didn’t buy them.  That lot I mentioned was over 100m pounds.  And we thought Walsh was bad!  Brands ain’t been much better

It is, he hasn't been faultless (not least because we're still failing to address the pace issue), but I'd have had Bernard, Gomes, Mina (not after seeing him up close mind!) here myself. They just haven't worked out, and I'm not sure he could have foreseen Gbamin's problems. That's just been unlucky.

It is a big summer window for him though, he needs there to be more success stories than failures, both in terms of who comes in and who potentially leaves.

26 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He’s not been great at actually selling players, been alright at getting the ones we don’t want loaned out.  I’m not his biggest fan so we will see what he does this summer.  There must be sales, we are in financial problems with FFP and stupid spending and COVID so let’s see how good this guy really is.  

For possibly the 1,000th time, you need a buyer to sell anything. 
Then if you’re lucky enough to find someone who will take Besic, Bolasie and the like, how do you convince them to give up the biggest contract they will ever get in their life? 

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It is, he hasn't been faultless (not least because we're still failing to address the pace issue), but I'd have had Bernard, Gomes, Mina (not after seeing him up close mind!) here myself. They just haven't worked out, and I'm not sure he could have foreseen Gbamin's problems. That's just been unlucky.

It is a big summer window for him though, he needs there to be more success stories than failures, both in terms of who comes in and who potentially leaves.

Thank god there is a bit of sense about this. 

11 minutes ago, StevO said:

Then if you’re lucky enough to find someone who will take Besic, Bolasie and the like, how do you convince them to give up the biggest contract they will ever get in their life? 

you didn't even read, i don't hold besic and bolasie against him, HE DIDN"T BUY THEM.  he did buy the dross i mentioned and he is accountable for that.  this is what i'm talking about.  you don't have to worry about selling players IF YOU BUY THE RIGHT ONES.  he didn't.  the ones he bought that are solely on him really only godfrey, kean, digne, and doucoure can be credited to him.  richarlison (silva) james and allan due to Carlo.  Digne was good for 1, maybe 2 years, he's been average or worse since the new contract (mayhaps we should have sold when linked with City) honestly he's like league average player i'm not sure he's even something to put in the win column for marcel.  king just been average, niels we haven't seen anything.  kean had a rough year, has been on loan, wants out and we'll make money on him.  so count godfrey doucoure kean, 3 players?  come on.  like i said walsh had a better track record than that and he's treated like a pariah around here.    

48 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

The thing is, you can't sell what no one wants to buy. If we can all see that we've got a load of shit players then I'm certain other clubs know they're shit as well.

We're saddled with a lot of this crap until their contracts run down. This is why I'm horrified at the prospect of Gylfi getting a new contract - what on earth would possess someone to extend his time here when we're so close to the end of that nightmare?!

We could try ebay, you can sell and buy all sorts of crap on there.

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

We could try ebay, you can sell and buy all sorts of crap on there.

Remember in ebay's early days there was a guy on a TV programme, don't remember which one, who tested whether you could get "money for old rope" on there so put it to the test. He sold it but fucked up on the delivery costs so ended up losing money.

Aha, found in on youtube.:P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bATG6XowDbA&t=26m49s

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Aren’t Besic Bolasie and Gylfi’s contracts up at the end of the season so that should save 200 plus grand a week, then he needs to sell some of the players he’s responsible for bringing into the club Delph Iwobi Bernard Mina and possibly Gomes Richarlison and Digne if he can get the right money, because they may talk a good game and how they love the club and supporters but all 3 have been expensive passengers this season, and if they carry on in this vein they won’t be missed, so I expect him to shift 3-4 players this summer on top of the players who’s contracts will expire. 
Like anyone in any job you are responsible for cleaning up your own mess no excuses. 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

you didn't even read, i don't hold besic and bolasie against him, HE DIDN"T BUY THEM.  he did buy the dross i mentioned and he is accountable for that.  this is what i'm talking about.  you don't have to worry about selling players IF YOU BUY THE RIGHT ONES.  he didn't.  the ones he bought that are solely on him really only godfrey, kean, digne, and doucoure can be credited to him.  richarlison (silva) james and allan due to Carlo.  Digne was good for 1, maybe 2 years, he's been average or worse since the new contract (mayhaps we should have sold when linked with City) honestly he's like league average player i'm not sure he's even something to put in the win column for marcel.  king just been average, niels we haven't seen anything.  kean had a rough year, has been on loan, wants out and we'll make money on him.  so count godfrey doucoure kean, 3 players?  come on.  like i said walsh had a better track record than that and he's treated like a pariah around here.    

“He’s not been great at actually selling players” was your very first sentence. Maybe you didn’t read your own post?

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Aren’t Besic Bolasie and Gylfi’s contracts up at the end of the season so that should save 200 plus grand a week, then he needs to sell some of the players he’s responsible for bringing into the club Delph Iwobi Bernard Mina and possibly Gomes Richarlison and Digne if he can get the right money, because they may talk a good game and how they love the club and supporters but all 3 have been expensive passengers this season, and if they carry on in this vein they won’t be missed, so I expect him to shift 3-4 players this summer on top of the players who’s contracts will expire. 
Like anyone in any job you are responsible for cleaning up your own mess no excuses. 

Absolutely, it would be great to sell some of these players. But if we know they aren’t good enough then so do the other clubs out there. If we do find buyers then will the players take a pay cut? History tells us they won’t very often do that. Hence why they run down their contracts. 
Yes, he is responsible for cleaning up his own mess, but it’s not always possible is it?

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Okay Digne for starters is a victim of his own high standards. Also, richarlison has no interest in linking with him so it’s a wonder he has still gotten 9 assists for the season. 

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

The DofF thing isn’t working for us at least Walsh had an excuse owner and chairman interference, I really don’t think he’s doing a good job at sourcing players, his success to failure rate is very poor imo. 

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I would be pretty sure Delph, Iwobi, Gomes, Gbamin and Mina arent up for sale. Bernard probably only has been since January and he almost left then anyway. 

That has got to be one of the strangest ways to have a pop at him. 

9 minutes ago, Btay said:

Okay Digne for starters is a victim of his own high standards. Also, richarlison has no interest in linking with him so it’s a wonder he has still gotten 9 assists for the season. 

The only victims of Digne’s shit show are the club and it’s supporters he’s no victim he’s still picking up 100% of his wages for very little return, I would say the best LB I’ve seen this season is Godfrey hardly anything got past him when he played there. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The only victims of Digne’s shit show are the club and it’s supporters he’s no victim he’s still picking up 100% of his wages for very little return, I would say the best LB I’ve seen this season is Godfrey hardly anything got past him when he played there. 

Only Cresswell as a defender has more assists and he’s played an extra 400 minutes ( 20% more ) than Digne but yeah let’s fuck him off. 

3 minutes ago, Btay said:

Only Cresswell as a defender has more assists and he’s played an extra 400 minutes ( 20% more ) than Digne but yeah let’s fuck him off. 

At least we agree.  

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Bernard Delph iwobi Gomes Mina gbamin are whoppers on his CV.  

I'll take Iwobi and Delph but not having the others. Bernard played in a world cup final for Brazil (they got battered but still), Gomes everybody loved to bits in his early days here, silky smooth, but he's fallen off maybe due to injury. Mina has had some great games for us, I'd still not write him off and Gbamin? On what planet is he regarded as a "whopper" of a signing for getting injured? Brands obviously not looking deep enough into his crystal ball the numpty, all his fault.

1 minute ago, Btay said:

Just hope we have a left footed Tony Hibbert coming through the ranks to keep you happy mate 😂

If they had fight and passion to put everything on the line like Hibbert did I’d take a two left footed Hibbert in more than one position 😂

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'll take Iwobi and Delph but not having the others. Bernard played in a world cup final for Brazil (they got battered but still), Gomes everybody loved to bits in his early days here, silky smooth, but he's fallen off maybe due to injury. Mina has had some great games for us, I'd still not write him off and Gbamin? On what planet is he regarded as a "whopper" of a signing for getting injured? Brands obviosly not looking deep enough into his crystal ball the numpty, all his fault.

The sad thing is it does happen mate that some players will have a good or better than average first season, then never show that level of performance again. It happened to Schneiderlin and seems to be happening to Gomes and Digne for what ever reason. 
Then it’s down to the manager if he wants to persist with them or show them the door.  

14 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The sad thing is it does happen mate that some players will have a good or better than average first season, then never show that level of performance again. It happened to Schneiderlin and seems to be happening to Gomes and Digne for what ever reason. 
Then it’s down to the manager if he wants to persist with them or show them the door.  

Fair enough but we're in the Brands thread, so a signing looking great he's done his job; if he then tails off can you blame Marcel? Blame elsewhere for me, he's out of the loop by then.

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Fair enough but we're in the Brands thread, so a signing looking great he's done his job; if he then tails off can you blame Marcel? Blame elsewhere for me, he's out of the loop by then.

I’ll accept that argument that makes perfectly good sense.  

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Gylfi’s contract has another year to run by the way, it doesn’t run out this summer sadly. 

On recent performances we need to leave it until the end of next season to renew, of we want to, he  either puts in a decent performance or is anonymous and becomes the ultimate finger pointer. Being realistic, he’s not the player to help us break into the top 4 unless we’re going to get two penalties every game.

20 hours ago, MikeO said:

Remember in ebay's early days there was a guy on a TV programme, don't remember which one, who tested whether you could get "money for old rope" on there so put it to the test. He sold it but fucked up on the delivery costs so ended up losing money.

Aha, found in on youtube.:P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bATG6XowDbA&t=26m49s

Haha, sadly we'd make a massive loss on several players after paying ebay's fees.