IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

5 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I don’t know how to put it on the site but there is a good article on brands today on the echo site explaining the transfers for the summer. Good article and exciting 

This one?

https://www.google.ch/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marcel-brands-confirms-evertons-summer-16064299.amp

1 minute ago, Matt said:

some key points

- as of april 2nd their transfer targets are already set (breath of fresh air this point is)

- bring in players aged 20-25

- brands and silva have to agree on the player to get the green light

- new targets speak to Silva because they have to have a good relationship with the manager (not sure if other managers did this but this is a nice touch)

18 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

some key points

- as of april 2nd their transfer targets are already set (breath of fresh air this point is)

- new targets speak to Silva because they have to have a good relationship with the manager (not sure if other managers did this but this is a nice touch)

We said the same when Walsh started. I’ll wait for proof before I get excited 

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

some key points

That’s all just pretty standard. Anything other than that and we should be worried. Nothing to see here. 

3 hours ago, StevO said:

That’s all just pretty standard. Anything other than that and we should be worried. Nothing to see here. 

Not at all.  Walsh bought players over 25, it was clear even when Martinez was here that the signings weren’t lined up and once one fell through there were often times barely even a backup.

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Not at all.  Walsh bought players over 25, it was clear even when Martinez was here that the signings weren’t lined up and once one fell through there were often times barely even a backup.

No Mark, you’re wrong, every club does this. There will always be a plan to buy younger players, and there will always be three, four or even five back ups. We will still buy players over 25 if they are of the right quality. None of this is groundbreaking stuff, it’s what every single football club in the world does. From little clubs through to City. Everyone wants young players who are improving and everyone has back up plans. I know you like to be positive and have a lot of faith in Brands, but this is just the norm. 

When Martinez was here and his first choice fell through, we didn’t have the financial muscle to just jump to the next one. Before Moshiri we very often tried to buy players in the last week of the transfer window to save on wages. There was still a back up plan. 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

No Mark, you’re wrong, every club does this. There will always be a plan to buy younger players, and there will always be three, four or even five back ups. We will still buy players over 25 if they are of the right quality. None of this is groundbreaking stuff, it’s what every single football club in the world does. From little clubs through to City. Everyone wants young players who are improving and everyone has back up plans. I know you like to be positive and have a lot of faith in Brands, but this is just the norm. 

When Martinez was here and his first choice fell through, we didn’t have the financial muscle to just jump to the next one. Before Moshiri we very often tried to buy players in the last week of the transfer window to save on wages. There was still a back up plan. 

He said in the interview we will only buy 20-25 because we have to sell players.  Unless he was misquoted I’ll take the man at his word.

52 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He said in the interview we will only buy 20-25 because we have to sell players.  Unless he was misquoted I’ll take the man at his word.

You don’t think of a player who is 27 is available and good quality he won’t take them?

im not doubting him, what he said is all fine, but it’s not different from anything any other club is doing. 

Martinez signed Geri, Rom, McCarthy, all young and talented. 

Under the all so hated Walsh we signed Pickford, Keane, Sandro, Klassen, again young and talented. 

Clubs always want to buy good young players, but then we still signed Gylfi at 27, because he was a good player and ready to go into the first team with immediate effect. 

What they are doing is not groundbreaking, they are doing what is expected at every club. It’s just normal, it’s nice to be excited I’m sure, but this isn’t anything new. 

18 minutes ago, StevO said:

You don’t think of a player who is 27 is available and good quality he won’t take them?

im not doubting him, what he said is all fine, but it’s not different from anything any other club is doing. 

Under the all so hated Walsh we signed Pickford, Keane, Sandro, Klassen, again young and talented. 

Clubs always want to buy good young players, but then we still signed Gylfi at 27, because he was a good player and ready to go into the first team with immediate effect. 

What they are doing is not groundbreaking, they are doing what is expected at every club. It’s just normal, it’s nice to be excited I’m sure, but this isn’t anything new. 

He signed Mina Richarlison digne all under 25.  So yes I do believe him.  I never said any of this was ground breaking, I summarized his interview with key points and never used that phrase.  Many teams use this approach in other leagues I’m well aware.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Problem with that 27 year old is that he's in his prime so unless he's been underperforming you pay what he's worth and there's a good chance his value will decrease. And this is exactly the model Brands does not want.

There needs to be a balance of young talent and players that can make an immediate impact. For the latter group, age is irrelevant (see Barry as the best example). You take a a hit on resale value if a player gets you further up the table and a trophy. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I’m sure if say Griezeman became available and fancied a move to Everton Brands would so no, sorry, no sell on value. He will still take a great player if they are over 25, it would be naive not to. 

I'm sure he would because he would be out of our budget, costing probably around 100 million. 

Also find his quote on top 6 underplayed players very interesting. Sounds like we should expect 1 or 2 from those clubs to come here. Quick somebody make a list of all top 6 first team players aged 20-25 who could use more playing time. Oh wait, i'll do it - here it is for speculation:

City: G Jesus, Zinchenko, Foden (Danilo-27)

Utd: Bailly, A Pereira, Dalot, McTominay

Arsenal: Maitland-Niles, Holding, Iwobi, Mavropanos

Chelsea: Loftus-Cheek, Christensen, Emerson, Ampadu, Zouma, Bakayoko, Kenedy, Abraham, Batshuayi, Hudson-Odoi (never going to happen)

Spurs: Winks, Dier, Walker-Peters, Foyth

Doesn't have to be from the PL, like Digne. So here's a few more:

PSG: Paredes (24), Lo Celso (22), Rabiot (24).

Barcelona: Denis Suarez (25), Munir (23).

Real Madrid: Marcos Llorente (24), Javi Sanchez and Jesus Vallejo (both 22).

Bayern Munich: Tollisso (24).

No idea about why they didn't play much, just checked the stats.

Ok, I was a bit off with my names. Lo Celso has been on loan to Betis and big teams are circling around him. Rabiot seems to be heading to Real Madrid. Tollisso tore his ACL at the beginning of the season. Paredes only recently joined PSG.

So never mind...

I think the fact he has cake out and said these comments is more of a plus than the actual comments.

SteveO is right, it’s a common model, and if the right player becomes available, at the right price, then age won’t come into account.

But the fact that he is making a point of putting his model out there speaks volumes. He is realising the involvement fans have in this club. We want to be part of it and we want to hear what our plans are. 

Brands is the right guy for us.

10 hours ago, Shukes said:

I think the fact he has cake out and said these comments is more of a plus than the actual comments.

SteveO is right, it’s a common model, and if the right player becomes available, at the right price, then age won’t come into account.

But the fact that he is making a point of putting his model out there speaks volumes. He is realising the involvement fans have in this club. We want to be part of it and we want to hear what our plans are. 

Brands is the right guy for us.

Do you really think him putting a spread on at Finch Farm with a few battenbergs and chocolate truffles is going to convince top players to sign for us ?

9 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Do you really think him putting a spread on at Finch Farm with a few battenbergs and chocolate truffles is going to convince top players to sign for us ?

I give up haha. I’m always in too much of a rush.

• 1 month later...

If you believe the rumours he could be looking at about ten players. We've been at some point linked with at least N'Dombele, Toussart, Mendy, Terrier and Fekir from Lyon and Soumaoro, Menes, Soumare, Leao and Pepe from Lille.