IGNORED

Blue Bill's shiny new stadium at the docks...

Lowensda

The Guardian ran an article about the UNESCO status of the docklands and whether it's at risk.

There are grand plans for a new ferry terminal, a “house of art, music and culture”, a new football stadium for Everton, and an athletes’ village for the city’s 2022 Commonwealth Games bid. But the only elements to have received detailed planning permission are a couple of private rented sector towers: the Lexington and the Hive.

There is scant reason for optimism, given that Peel – primarily an operator of docks and airports – was the developer of Salford’s MediaCityUK, the winner of the 2011 Carbuncle Cup for the ugliest building project in the country. “It’s a subjective thing,” says Ashworth. “The designs don’t necessarily have to please me – they just have to look different.”

The sprawling masterplan has been granted an unusually long planning permission period, until 2042. So, given the lull in the market, there is still time to make it better – if the council steps up and heeds Unesco’s warnings. But the Labour mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, has a hunger for growth and investment – and a disdain for outsider meddling, which doesn’t inspire much hope for radical improvement.

“Not one person who comes to visit our city comes to see the Unesco certificate on my wall,” he says. “They come to see a vibrant, dynamic city, not one that’s preserved in aspic. I’m a pragmatic person. I believe we can cherish our heritage and come up with great iconic modern buildings, too.”

• 3 weeks later...