IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

12 hours ago, Matt said:

True, but how many of them are about and how many can do the job of DCL and score 15-20 goals a season?

DCL had 1/3 of a season (don’t care that the stats say he had 38 games, he didn’t start 2 thirds of them) and it’s no coincidence that him starting up top towards the end of the season, as well as Bernard on the left, made a massive impact to our play. He is a 15 a season striker in my opinion, he just needs to have a continued run to get the goals and we already know how he occupies defenders making space for the other 3-4 behind him

I want DCL to succeed more than any player at the club currently. I hope this is his breakout season but it’s going to be the difference between Europe or not in my eyes. Lots of pressure on him! 

4 hours ago, Btay said:

I want DCL to succeed more than any player at the club currently. I hope this is his breakout season but it’s going to be the difference between Europe or not in my eyes. Lots of pressure on him! 

I was a big critic of his because of his finishing but, now that we actually have quality behind the striker, his main role is more about work ethic and being a pain in the arse to defenders which he is excellent at. As soon as the 3 behind him trust that he’s going to win a ball in the air and gamble on where it may land, the sooner he’ll be racking up assists too

9 hours ago, Matt said:

I was a big critic of his because of his finishing but, now that we actually have quality behind the striker, his main role is more about work ethic and being a pain in the arse to defenders which he is excellent at. As soon as the 3 behind him trust that he’s going to win a ball in the air and gamble on where it may land, the sooner he’ll be racking up assists too

I'm hoping Bernard steps it up a gear in front of goal next year, he puts in the effort but just wasn't comfortable in his shooting. He alone should be getting 5 more goals. Plus whoever replaces Gana should add an extra 5 too. Stats wise Sigurdssen does well but we need a player to get them goals and add to the overall play as well. Richarlison is probs the closest, just needs to get more consistent and not put his head down. 

The first three of the above have more questions to answer than DCL who got a decent output 6 goals and 5 assists over half a season. Over a full season we should be expecting him to contribute towards 20 goals, it's the midfield that needs to step up. Sigurdssen and Gana/or his replacement both need to contribute more to the forward play and Bernard and Gana/his replacement need to start getting more goals/assists. Should be prioritising upgrades for them over DCL. Had the manager picked him from the off and he got 10 goals and 10 assists we probably wouldn't even be discussing. 

Wow... talk about a longbow...  6 goals and 2 assists (in a half) is a decent return, but 13 goals and 6 assists (in a full) is not good enough? From midfield? Involved in 35% of our Goals...  

I think we should be looking to bring in long-term successors to both positions, given there age.  I'm also on board with cashing in now, if the money's right and replacements are ready. 

However...  Ignoring your hate boner for Gana, trying to suggest that Gylfi is not performing is bonkers.

1 hour ago, DownUnderToff said:

Wow... talk about a longbow...  6 goals and 2 assists (in a half) is a decent return, but 13 goals and 6 assists (in a full) is not good enough? From midfield? Involved in 35% of our Goals...  

I think we should be looking to bring in long-term successors to both positions, given there age.  I'm also on board with cashing in now, if the money's right and replacements are ready. 

However...  Ignoring your hate boner for Gana, trying to suggest that Gylfi is not performing is bonkers.

His stats are good, or better out would be his goal stats exceed expectations, but over 90 minutes he doesn't do enough. He doesn't get on the ball enough to influence the game, and no, 6 assists isn't enough considering that's his main job and he takes half the freekicks and corners. 

DCL has played 3640 minutes in the league for us over the past two seasons and chipped in with 10 goals and 13 assists. Sigurdssen in 5379 has managed 17 goals and 10 assists. One goal/assist every 199 minutes for Sigurdssen compared to 158 for DCL. He's not performing as well as DCL stats wise and he's not involved in the general play as much either. DCL is a constant pain with his running and challenging, Sigurdssen doesn't give the opposition as hard a time and can go completely unnoticed if he doesn't score or assist. 

DCL needs to score goals everything else he does will not keep him in the team if he doesn’t do what strikers are paid to do and that is score goals, Brands and Silva will be scouting the world looking for a striker who scores goals and because DCL isn’t doing the business that search is becoming more intense. 

Having a striker who can regularly give you  15 plus goals in the league each season could be the difference between success and failure in terms of top six and above, he’s getting his chances to prove himself he has to start delivering. 

You could use Lukaku as a point that proves that clubs and there managers only view strikers who can score as successful and only want strikers who can score regardless if there lazy sulky slightly over weight or what ever else you care to throw at him, so I’m the same as probably 99% of clubs and there managers if your striker isn’t scoring he’s getting dropped because that’s what wins games and that’s what he was put there for. 

But Lukaku has been dropped for the second half of the season, for exactly that.

Where DCL has been picked constantly, for exactly that.

I agree with peteO about DCL. He is in the team as the experienced premier league staff can see past the goal stats.

But I also agree with Palfy that we should be looking for an established 15+ goal striker to reinforce our team. This shouldn’t be detrimental to DCL, as it should add competition and motivate him to raise his game. Going to be interesting to see this u fold.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

DCL needs to score goals everything else he does will not keep him in the team if he doesn’t do what strikers are paid to do and that is score goals, Brands and Silva will be scouting the world looking for a striker who scores goals and because DCL isn’t doing the business that search is becoming more intense. 

Having a striker who can regularly give you  15 plus goals in the league each season could be the difference between success and failure in terms of top six and above, he’s getting his chances to prove himself he has to start delivering. 

You could use Lukaku as a point that proves that clubs and there managers only view strikers who can score as successful and only want strikers who can score regardless if there lazy sulky slightly over weight or what ever else you care to throw at him, so I’m the same as probably 99% of clubs and there managers if your striker isn’t scoring he’s getting dropped because that’s what wins games and that’s what he was put there for. 

It depends on what role you want from the striker Mourinho strikers tended to score few goals but expected the midfield to get them. As do Liverpool atm. Firminio's best season he only got 15 goals (and 8 assists), the other three years he managed 12/8, 11/11, 10/8. His movement is more important to the team than his scoring. The midfield need to take on more responsibility, Bernard and Gana only got 1 goal and 6 assists between them. Those two positions in most sides would be contributing 10 goals  and 10 assists. 

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

It depends on what role you want from the striker Mourinho strikers tended to score few goals but expected the midfield to get them. As do Liverpool atm. Firminio's best season he only got 15 goals (and 8 assists), the other three years he managed 12/8, 11/11, 10/8. His movement is more important to the team than his scoring. The midfield need to take on more responsibility, Bernard and Gana only got 1 goal and 6 assists between them. Those two positions in most sides would be contributing 10 goals  and 10 assists. 

I agree with this.  Hopefully we utilize DCL and his strengths and play to them as a team with gylfi Bernard richarlison Andre all chipping in some goals.  Coleman and digne should each have around 4-5 as well.  Center backs should all have a couple too from set pieces.  Wholistic approach is what we should aim for

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

Agree with all of that except the Gana comment, as you still don’t get that it isn’t his role (no, don’t start again please). 

The difference between now and when we had Lukaku is supporting presence who can score. Therefore, the forwards main role isn’t to be a striker, it’s to be a CF. When we had Lukaku, we didn’t have the attacking talent so his primary job was just shooting and scoring (which he did very well).

DCL allows a collective team scoring goals, and now we can afford to do that because we have talent behind him that can finish. This wasn’t the case during Lukakus time with us, which is why I was vehemently supportive despite his flaws.

the team has evolved, the tactics too. The front mans job has therefore changed and there’s not many better than DCL at winning the ball, hustling defenders, creating space, that will be available (even if they are, they’ll be massively overpriced)

6 hours ago, Shukes said:

But Lukaku has been dropped for the second half of the season, for exactly that.

Where DCL has been picked constantly, for exactly that.

I agree with peteO about DCL. He is in the team as the experienced premier league staff can see past the goal stats.

But I also agree with Palfy that we should be looking for an established 15+ goal striker to reinforce our team. This shouldn’t be detrimental to DCL, as it should add competition and motivate him to raise his game. Going to be interesting to see this u fold.

But Lukaku is still going to go to one of the top clubs in Europe for an estimated 80M why do you think that is?

If Silva didn’t have a concern about whether a C/F or striker scored goals or not, he would let Ellis Simms go out on loan to develop more, but he hasn’t he has elevated him to the 1st team quite simply because he scored 40 something goals last season, now that tells he’s prepared to throw a kid in because 1) He can’t find a striker 2) he obviously has concerns over DCLs lack of finishing 3) he knows how important it is for front man to contribute with goals and 4) and without taking anything away from the lad, Silva thinks he’s good enough and maybe a better option than what we’ve got. 

59 minutes ago, Matt said:

Agree with all of that except the Gana comment, as you still don’t get that it isn’t his role (no, don’t start again please). 

If it's not Gana's then it's Gomes'. Gana is the one the manager named (after the Cardiff) as should be doing more going forward. 

Gana does the role Kante was asked to do this season at Chelsea. A struggling Kante adjusting to a new role got 4 goals and 4 assists. McArthur got 3/7 at Crystal Palace. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

But Lukaku is still going to go to one of the top clubs in Europe for an estimated 80M why do you think that is?

Because a lower league than the premier can utilise him.

Or have I missed that City are buying him? 

You may not agree, but the premier league is generally classed as the pinnacle. You practise in other leagues and then move to the premier league to take the biggest challenge.

Rom thought he could move into a ready made champions league winner. It didn’t work.

42 minutes ago, Shukes said:

You may not agree, but the premier league is generally classed as the pinnacle. You practise in other leagues and then move to the premier league to take the biggest challenge.

Rom thought he could move into a ready made champions league winner. It didn’t work.

They were 6th and sprung up to second with him. He scored 16 goals and got 7 assists which is good for a Mourinho striker. Their midfield and recruitment in general let them down the following season, especially Pogba. Leading to Mourinho getting the sack. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

You need to tell Messi that he’d love to know he’s still practicing before he comes here. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

You need to tell Messi that he’d love to know he’s still practicing before he comes here. 

Silly comparison and you know it. If you class Lukaku as anywhere near the same level as Messi, then that explains your ga.... err other player ratings.

All begins to make sense 😉