IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

We need a box to box players. We don’t have one at the moment.

Gana is given that role but isn’t creative enough for it.

People say Gomes is one, but he isn’t, nowhere near a box to box. He prefers to sit and spray. He makes the occasional run forward, but so does Keane. Generally he likes to receive the ball from defence and link up play.... and he’s very good at it.

We need an energetic box to box player that can create as well. Not saying Delph is this player, just that we need one.

Interesting issues here.

I think of Gomes as pretty close to box-to-box, so don’t agree he’s “nowhere near” that.  Doesn’t he prefer to move forward, rather than just sit and spray?  Doesn’t he get forward more than “occasionally”?  Don’t we want more shotblasts from him, somewhat similar to Sigurdsson? Yes, he is very good at linking up play, his single most important, though far from his only, strength.

My view of Gomes leads me to think we need a true, mostly sitting DM, to protect the CHs as Digne and Coleman rush forward.  Your take on Gomes’s play seems to lead to our need for a box-to-box partner — Gana, Delph(?), McCarthy, Davies, or a new player.  But it strikes me that if Gomes’s regular partner is a b-t-b player, then either (1) Gomes will have to be something more of a traditional DM, or (2) our FBs will have to get forward much less frequently.

Admittedly, there may well be considerably more variation and fluidity to the positioning and play of both our nominal DMs — Gomes and ... somebody.

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

let's hope man, i would love to move him and Niasse on, and get a top rate striker with DCL the deputy.  

Take those two and toss in Sandro, and we have invested 55M or so in outlay and 300k-ish a week in striker wages for 5 or 6 goals per season

7 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Interesting issues here.

I think of Gomes as pretty close to box-to-box, so don’t agree he’s “nowhere near” that.  Doesn’t he prefer to move forward, rather than just sit and spray?  Doesn’t he get forward more than “occasionally”?  Don’t we want more shotblasts from him, somewhat similar to Sigurdsson? Yes, he is very good at linking up play, his single most important, though far from his only, strength.

My view of Gomes leads me to think we need a true, mostly sitting DM, to protect the CHs as Digne and Coleman rush forward.  Your take on Gomes’s play seems to lead to our need for a box-to-box partner — Gana, Delph(?), McCarthy, Davies, or a new player.  But it strikes me that if Gomes’s regular partner is a b-t-b player, then either (1) Gomes will have to be something more of a traditional DM, or (2) our FBs will have to get forward much less frequently.

Admittedly, there may well be considerably more variation and fluidity to the positioning and play of both our nominal DMs — Gomes and ... somebody.

Yes I see him completely different to that. I see him as a link up player rather than a box to box.

I suppose it depends on your classification of a BtB as well. Mine is the typical... receive the ball, then bust a guy to get to the last third, where they then become an offensive player. I see Gomes as a player who would prefer to send a 30 yard pass to get the ball there.

One interesting thing would be... how does PeteO see him? As if he is a BtB, then is he creative enough? 

I went there didn’t i haha.

26 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Yes I see him completely different to that. I see him as a link up player rather than a box to box.

I suppose it depends on your classification of a BtB as well. Mine is the typical... receive the ball, then bust a guy to get to the last third, where they then become an offensive player. I see Gomes as a player who would prefer to send a 30 yard pass to get the ball there.

One interesting thing would be... how does PeteO see him? As if he is a BtB, then is he creative enough? 

I don’t see him as box to box can’t believe I’m agreeing with you I might have to have a rethink. 

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

The video the other week showed him to be more box to box at his old club. Linking up attacks and getting in the box. 

Can't think of a game he played that role for us though. He's been more the sitter, in an Arteta mould but more capable of beating his man to drive the ball forward. Gana was the box to box, he tended to be further forward smh recieved the ball more often around the edge of the box. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

The video the other week showed him to be more box to box at his old club. Linking up attacks and getting in the box. 

Can't think of a game he played that role for us though. He's been more the sitter, in an Arteta mould but more capable of beating his man to drive the ball forward. Gana was the box to box, he tended to be further forward smh recieved the ball more often around the edge of the box. 

Completely agree with all of that... the reason I asked your thoughts to be honest.

Yes the highlights at Barca showed him to be a more offensive player, or box to box.

I wonder if it’s his preferred role here, or just situational for the team orders. Will be interesting to see him develop his position now he’s permanent.

I do agree with Elston though, that we need to see him take more shots etc, and see what he has up there.

IN: Lossl, Gomes, Delph
OUT: Vlasic, Galloway, Robinson
LOAN IN: 
LOAN OUT: Kenny, Sandro, Adedoyin, Dowell, JVirginia, Garbutt, Tarashaj, Bowler
YOUTH: Sebastian Kristensen
YOUTH pro deals: Ryan Astley, Kyle John, Anthony Gordon, Ellis Simms, Joe Anderson, Einar Iversen, Nicolas Hansen, Kieran Phillips, Korede Adedoyin, Mackenzie Hunt
CONTRACT EXT: Davies, Foulds, Ouzounidis, Baines, Mampala, Bowler

OFFICIALLY RELEASED: Jags(SheffieldUtd), A Williams, Lavery(Linfield), Hewelt(Meidz Legnica), JHilton(Blackburn), Charsley, Mathis(Rodez), Kiersey(Walsall), Bramall, Renshaw

Out of contract: Sambou

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

it seems the guardian is the only newspaper that actually thinks of us in a positive light more than a negative light.  most rags are talking down to us.  nice to see something different for a change.

Do you use 'rag' as a derogatory for newspaper on your side of the Atlantic? If not, love that you are using it here!!

Poor Marcel! He's had another strong summer so far but it's remarkable how much work is left to be done.

We could still be looking at 10-12 out and 3-5 in...

Out: Pennington Martina McCarthy Bolasie Niasse Besic Mirallas Lookman Onyekuru Morgan Cenk Gana

In: RB cover, CB, Gana replacement, AM, ST

Wtf are we doing with 3 senior gk's? Surely Stek is leaving? How hasn't that happened yet...

2 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Poor Marcel! He's had another strong summer so far but it's remarkable how much work is left to be done.

We could still be looking at 10-12 out and 3-5 in...

Out: Pennington Martina McCarthy Bolasie Niasse Besic Mirallas Lookman Onyekuru Morgan Cenk Gana

In: RB cover, CB, Gana replacement, AM, ST

Wtf are we doing with 3 senior gk's? Surely Stek is leaving? How hasn't that happened yet...

3 keepers is because stek leaves next year.  Lossl was available on a free and is a solid PL keeper who was available.  he thought this was the better long term plan having 3 for one year and then keeping the younger backup in Lossl and we get rid of Stek.  Again he was on a free, keepers that are young (for a keeper) and willing to be a backup that are PL quality and available on a free are far and few.  i believe we had to pay for Stek when we got him.  This is how i read the move.

something to note, here is who's contract ends at the end of this year, some big names and money here if we can't sell them and have to loan them this year.  Niasse, Mirallas, Baines, McCarthy, Martina, Stek.

I'm slightly concerned that there now seems a chance that we won't bring a striker in. It's the most important signing for me. We will never push top 6 without a recognised quality striker. Look at the teams above us and what they have up top is different gravy to us. Elsewhere, there's some sort of comparison. 

7 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

I'm slightly concerned that there now seems a chance that we won't bring a striker in. It's the most important signing for me. We will never push top 6 without a recognised quality striker. Look at the teams above us and what they have up top is different gravy to us. Elsewhere, there's some sort of comparison. 

City, Liverpool and spurs yes.

Arsenal yes - but I honestly think player for player behind the 2 uptop we are better - convincingly.

UTD and Chelsea...?