IGNORED

Yerry Mina

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

SAF didn't think so. Also they kept Johnny Evans over him. There's a reason he's playing in Spain and not here, easier league. Mina looked good but it's very worrying if he can't get a game in Barcas back four. Even Masherano managed to play centre half for them. 

Pique asked to leave. He was only 21 and was behind the awesome Ferdinand and Vidic. He wanted to go back home to Barcelona. SAF has history for seeing the human in the player, it's why he will always be one of the best.

The rest is history. 

7 hours ago, c1982 said:

Let me get this right... we shouldn’t sign Mina because he can’t get in the Barcelona team ahead of Pique and Pique’s shite?

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Haha I’m sure his World Cup winners medal, his league titles and his champions leagues will never help him get over Evans and O’Shae keeping him out of the United Team when he was a kid. 

Spain is hardly renowned for producing defenders. Aspas is a 20 goal a season striker over there couldn't get a sniffing here. 

Amazing that we harshly judge players for not making it in the EPL but doing well in other leagues, yet I don’t see too many English players tearing it up abroad. 

Every league plays differently, just as every player plays differently. 

Pete, I’m really starting to question what you’re actually seeing when you watch football. 

46 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Spain is hardly renowned for producing defenders. Aspas is a 20 goal a season striker over there couldn't get a sniffing here. 

Your logic is sensational tonight... so Aspas was shite in the Premiership but class in La Liga so Spanish defenders must be worse than English ones... so why do Spanish teams keep dominating the Europa League and Champions League?

Maybe that shite striker Harry Kane should go to La Liga - he may actually score a couple against the awful defenders.

49 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Pete, I’m really starting to question what you’re actually seeing when you watch football. 

I struggle to watch Spanish football it's that poor. English, Italian and German leagues are much better. 

21 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Your logic is sensational tonight... so Aspas was shite in the Premiership but class in La Liga so Spanish defenders must be worse than English ones... so why do Spanish teams keep dominating the Europa League and Champions League?

Maybe that shite striker Harry Kane should go to La Liga - he may actually score a couple against the awful defenders.

Less competitive league do the players are more fresh. Their league is basically just practice matches so they can focus on the champions league. 

6 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I struggle to watch Spanish football it's that poor. English, Italian and German leagues are much better. 

A Spanish team has won the last 5 champions leagues! And two of them were all Spanish affairs. Not sure how you’ve got to that? 

Based on the later theory you have Turkish and Scottish teams should also be Champions league contenders.

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

Less competitive league do the players are more fresh. Their league is basically just practice matches so they can focus on the champions league. 

So Sevilla, who finished 7th in La Liga last season beat Man U and drew twice with Liverpool who both finished higher than 7th in the Premier League...

In my opinion the Spanish League currently has some of the best defenders in the world - I’d go as far to say that Godin is the best centre back in world football.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

So Sevilla, who finished 7th in La Liga last season beat Man U and drew twice with Liverpool who both finished higher than 7th in the Premier League...

In my opinion the Spanish League currently has some of the best defenders in the world - I’d go as far to say that Godin is the best centre back in world football.

They soley focused on the cup. Look at their results after the United game. Got beat by Leganes the equivalent of Leeds /Shef Wed (if you base a side on transfermarkt values). 

Far too many basing the Spanish on a cup competition. Wouldn't rate English teams based on their FA Cup run? 

41 minutes ago, pete0 said:

They soley focused on the cup. Look at their results after the United game. Got beat by Leganes the equivalent of Leeds /Shef Wed (if you base a side on transfermarkt values). 

Far too many basing the Spanish on a cup competition. Wouldn't rate English teams based on their FA Cup run? 

As did Utd and Liverpool around that time? At least they are better than Wigan who beat City eh.

Using transfermarkt to value a squad is a new one on me as a reliable source of how good a player is. Diego Rico is moving from Leganes to Bournemouth for over £10mil and yet he is worth £2.25m on there! 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

So how else do you objectively compare teams if not with the matches where they play each other?

Transfermarkt values are complete hogwash. They are basically updated when someone feels like it. I could show countless ridiculous values. Some players' values might not have been updated for a year. But there are other issues even if those values were accurate. First they consider potential. But potential has nothing to do with how good the team is *now*. So a 30+ year old, much better player could be valued less than a potential 20-year old. On top of that, PL prices are obviously inflated. Very few clubs outside of  PL can pay the same kind of sums for PL players as the clubs pay for intra-league transfers.

Single games are a bit of lottery but Spanish teams have done better over a number of years. Number of games is significant when you consider UEFA coefficients are calculated from something like seven teams over five years. Coefficients for the top leagues are calculated over tens of matches. Can't be bothered to count but much more than 38 matches anyways.

1 hour ago, Makis said:

So how else do you objectively compare teams if not with the matches where they play each other?

Over a season in a competitive league, which La Liga is not. Just look at how many goals barca and Madrid score every year. That league is pish, especially the defending. 

21 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Over a season in a competitive league, which La Liga is not. Just look at how many goals barca and Madrid score every year. That league is pish, especially the defending. 

Just look at how many goals City scored. If it was that bad Madrid wouldnt have won the CL 3 times in a row or Athletico Madrid win the EL.

There are 3 great teams in that league, several good, and a few rubbish ones, which is more or less like this league.  

2 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

The difference is that the gulf between the top teams and the bottom in La Liga is far greater than the Premier League.

Newly promoted teams are quite capable of upsetting a title contender in the Premier League. That just doesn't happen in Spain as the bottom half teams just roll over to have their tummies tickled.

I'm tempted to show you wrong but how many times does that actually happen in the PL? How many matches and against who did City lose last season? Barca lost to Levante and drew against Las Palmas, Getafe, Celta Vigo (twice), Real Madrid, Sevilla, Valencia and Atletico Madrid. That's one loss and nine draws.

City lost twice and drew four times so they lost less points than Barca.

42 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

City had an outstanding season, some of that can be credited to Pep Guardiola. Barca are having financial difficulties and I think in future they will struggle to be the force they once were of the last 10 years.

My point is, over the course of the past few seasons, the standard of the bottom half of La Liga has been substantially worse than that of the Premier League.

Of the teams you point out that Barca dropped points to, they are pretty much all recognised big teams. Apart from Getafe and Las Palmas they are certainly not bottom half teams and also rans. Athletico, Real, Sevilla and Valencia are regulars to European football.

Yet spent just under 250m on two players alone last season...wish I had that sort of financial difficulty.