IGNORED

Lucas Digne

14 hours ago, RuffRob said:

In a couple of weeks time it will be two games a week - so loads of football to be played in the next couple of months - I would feel much better in the though of Baines potentially being available for selection in two or three weeks time if he was needed. I personal though he maybe retired a year or two early anyhow as still performing at a very good level last season - but I can understand him not wanting to play second fiddle all season and not wanting to go to any other club  :) respect!! I am pretty sure he would step up if Ancelotti said he could do with him over Xmas and into the New Year. 

This!

Retired too early. But coming back in might be a step too far for him. I would love it though. 

53 minutes ago, Matt said:

If we could have him on a rolling monthly contract I’d be ecstatic, but it’s highly unlikely. Gods help us when Delph gets thrown in there 

I think you have to give contracts to each transfer window. So he could sign on until the end of December, then he could sign on until the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I think you have to give contracts to each transfer window. So he could sign on until the end of December, then he could sign on until the end of the season. 

He’s a free agent, we could sign him tomorrow on whatever contract we want. He’d just need a squad number per transfer window to be registered. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

If we could have him on a rolling monthly contract I’d be ecstatic, but it’s highly unlikely. Gods help us when Delph gets thrown in there 

It's fucking imperative that doesn't happen when we've got fuck all coming from the right back spot either. Can you just imagine how pedestrian we'd be with full-backs of Delph and Godfrey? Walter Smith would be happy though.

I am nervous of a young Nils having to play two premier league games a week for a sustained period. Its quite a big ask of the lad to perform consistently with that amount of football. Fingers crossed he steps up to he mark.  

I would think at least two months by what is being said, but lets maybe assume nearer three, given the way these things go.  Think we have to expect to see Delph being rolled out at left back on some occasions unless alternative LB arrangements can be made. After Nils, who else could be put in as left back? 

He'd need to be registered in the squad so wouldn't be able to play unless we got permission from the league under the emergency rules. 

He's not gonna be fit enough to play straight away and by the time he is Digne would be back. 

Nkounkou is good enough for playing the bottom half teams assuming we have possession. Against the better teams I'd rather a senior play out of position or one of the other kids as Nkounkou much like Digne is better at attacking than defending.

Can we shift between 4 at the back and 3 CHs from match to match?  Wouldn’t 3-3-3-1 work against some teams, while 4-2-3-1 would be better option against others?  December is crowded with fixtures, so there has to be some rotation, so maybe one formation fits some players better than another.  Is it too difficult to switch formations intermittently?

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Carlo says Iwobi can play left wing back. 😳

He’s got very good feet, so wouldn’t be against him doing similar to the first half at Fulham, only this time cutting in to shoot too. Richarlison is going to be putting in an extra shift for the foreseeable too

2 hours ago, Matt said:

That would make no sense whatsoever. What’s the point in agents? We’ve seen rolling contracts in the past too

It’s not a coincidence that contacts always expire on 31st June and 31st December, and IFAB giving authorisation for clubs to extend contracts for a few months when the seasons were extended in the summer. 

It gives players a level of protection. If you signed a player in August on a two month contract, then don’t renew they can’t work until January as they can’t sign for another club. Hence why contracts end when windows open.

10 minutes ago, StevO said:

It’s not a coincidence that contacts always expire on 31st June and 31st December, and IFAB giving authorisation for clubs to extend contracts for a few months when the seasons were extended in the summer. 

It gives players a level of protection. If you signed a player in August on a two month contract, then don’t renew they can’t work until January as they can’t sign for another club. Hence why contracts end when windows open.

Yeah, for convenience and protection. But if the player knows it’s a rolling contract, then what can the authorities do? So far as I can find, it’s the player who has to agree, everything else is admin (albeit a bit more complex)

1 hour ago, Matt said:

He’s got very good feet, so wouldn’t be against him doing similar to the first half at Fulham, only this time cutting in to shoot too. Richarlison is going to be putting in an extra shift for the foreseeable too

It just won't help when all the two players on the left hand side will want to do is come inside. It will be a lot easier to defend against. 

Plus I wouldn’t like to bank on him Iwobi playing left wing back until I have seen him against a half decent side. 

48 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yeah, for convenience and protection. But if the player knows it’s a rolling contract, then what can the authorities do? So far as I can find, it’s the player who has to agree, everything else is admin (albeit a bit more complex)

If it’s in the rules it’s the rules, so the authorities can reject the player being registered I guess. 

19 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It just won't help when all the two players on the left hand side will want to do is come inside. It will be a lot easier to defend against. 

Plus I wouldn’t like to bank on him Iwobi playing left wing back until I have seen him against a half decent side. 

I agree, and I think Neils might do a better job of being a wingback. Just giving Iwobi credit for the job he did and understand the thinking 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.football365.com/news/transfer-gossip-arsenal-maxi-gomez-man-city-lucas-digne-david-alaba-man-utd

EVERTON WARY OF CITY INTEREST IN DIGNE
Lucas Digne has a deal with Everton until 2023 but the Toffees are already planning to offer the left-back new terms to fend off interest from Manchester City.

That is the claim of the The Times, which reports Pep Guardiola has identified Digne as one of the primary targets to fill what has been a problem position for City.

Guardiola’s interest has been enough to prompt Everton into renewal talks in the hope that a pay-rise will persuade the 27-year-old to ignore City and remain at Goodison long-term.