IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

59 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Red for all tackles like that or only the ones that cause an injury? 

For me a tactical foul is part of the game, and something we've been missing in our side. 

For me red for all tackles like that, because they can all potentially cause serious injuries, otherwise you’re going to have players playing Russian roulette with other players careers. 
Yes tactical fouls are part of the game, but they shouldn’t be free hits, so let the player weigh up his decisions and if he feels that taking a player out which could potentially cause injury is tactically worth a red card then that’s the decision they make, knowing they will more than likely get a red card may stop other players from going through the same as Gomes. 

If you want to gamble with a players career then be prepared for the punishment. 

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

I agree, albeit I might be one of the only ones!

Gomes is actually one of the worst for it too. He will hunt a player down and he will give someone a kick if they are getting away from him and he can't catch up. 

Son was absolutely trying to bring him down but the tackle was low and whilst there is an argument to say such a deliberate foul could be a red card offence, it isn't.  

Add me to the list. It wasn’t studs up I to the back of an ankle for me, I saw it as a tackle from behind that hooks his foot... a trip. A yellow card any day. 

I think the fact that it was deliberate could constitute a red. But I would be fuming if that was an Everton player receiving a red.....if there was no injury.

I would accept it with the injury as respect and sympathy for the injured player.

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

For me red for all tackles like that, because they can all potentially cause serious injuries, otherwise you’re going to have players playing Russian roulette with other players careers. 
Yes tactical fouls are part of the game, but they shouldn’t be free hits, so let the player weigh up his decisions and if he feels that taking a player out which could potentially cause injury is tactically worth a red card then that’s the decision they make, knowing they will more than likely get a red card may stop other players from going through the same as Gomes. 

Think if you went down that route we'd end up banning tackling altogether. As with Gomes' it's a freak landing that's caused it. 

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I agree with most of what your saying, though I’m swinging more on a yellow for it.

I think a red for any tackle like that, takes a massive amount t of contact out of the sport and is a huge step towards touch football.

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

The kick itself done very little damage. It's intended to bring him down not break his ankle. You see similar tackles in most games just Gomes has been very unlucky in this case. 

So you’re advocating that people should be kicking out at people with no intention to win the ball just to stop the man, Pete we’ve moved on from the 60s and 70s mate. 
I’d rather see your Ronaldo’s of the world than your Bremner’s, but like I said if a player feels he needs to bring a man down with no attempt at winning the ball then fine, but they should be aware that by doing so they risk injuring the player, so should be red carded. 
If Son had just miss timed his tackle or you could see a genuine attempt to win the ball then fair enough just give a foul, but none of that occurred he played the man from behind got to be a red card for me, even though it may not be in the FIFAs rules it needs to be. 

11 hours ago, pete0 said:

I hadn't seen that before however I can't help but think the rule has been misinterpretated. The challenge itself hasn't caused serious injury, it's the fall that has. For me there is a break in causation at that point. 

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

Red for all tackles like that or only the ones that cause an injury? 

For me a tactical foul is part of the game, and something we've been missing in our side. 

Agreed.

7 hours ago, Shukes said:

Add me to the list. It wasn’t studs up I to the back of an ankle for me, I saw it as a tackle from behind that hooks his foot... a trip. A yellow card any day. 

I think the fact that it was deliberate could constitute a red. But I would be fuming if that was an Everton player receiving a red.....if there was no injury.

I would accept it with the injury as respect and sympathy for the injured player.

Completely agree.

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

Think if you went down that route we'd end up banning tackling altogether. As with Gomes' it's a freak landing that's caused it. 

Exactly. If the rule is interpreted as the ref has if you go in for an aerial challenge, mistime it slightly (to make it a foul) and the bloke lands funny and breaks a bone that would make it a red card. 

What about if you give a nudge to a player off the side of the pitch and he slides into the hoardings and breaks an arm then they too should be sent off. It's completely wrong IMO.

5 hours ago, DavisJD said:

A foul, that lead to a serious injury, should be a red.

It'sthat simple for me, yellow or not for the foul. 

Example, you pull a player's shirt back to stop a fast break, in turn the player trips on his own feet, and knocks himself out head into the turf.

Red card.

Goodluck on the recovery Andrè.

That would stop the game in its tracks. There would be no tackling at all. 

14 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I hadn't seen that before however I can't help but think the rule has been misinterpretated. The challenge itself hasn't caused serious injury, it's the fall that has. For me there is a break in causation at that point. 

Agreed.

Completely agree.

Exactly. If the rule is interpreted as the ref has if you go in for an aerial challenge, mistime it slightly (to make it a foul) and the bloke lands funny and breaks a bone that would make it a red card. 

What about if you give a nudge to a player off the side of the pitch and he slides into the hoardings and breaks an arm then they too should be sent off. It's completely wrong IMO.

That would stop the game in its tracks. There would be no tackling at all. 

Depends on what you determine is tackling, I wouldn’t call what Son did as a tackle. 

1 hour ago, Sibdane said:

The question is does Son even have yellow for that challenge since his red card was rescinded?

It's still listed on the PL stats as a red so no way to tell at the mo but I think if a straight red is rescinded the default decision is no card so I'd guess he'll get away with nothing.

13 minutes ago, MikeO said:

It's still listed on the PL stats as a red so no way to tell at the mo but I think if a straight red is rescinded the default decision is no card so I'd guess he'll get away with nothing.

I'll be livid if he gets absolutely nothing, but I have no doubt that will be the case. 

22 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Taking the man out with no intention to win the ball, I call it a tackle when a player try’s to take the ball from another player. 
And you calling what he did a tackle Is very strange?

That’s what is commonly called a tactical tackle though. Happens all the time, and as I’ve said, I’ve seen plenty on here saying they think someone should’ve done one of these tactical cheating, err, tackles, when we’ve conceded. I hate them personally but it is part of the game sadly, this one just ended up going horribly wrong.

Personally think the other guy is more responsible than Son, for me that was a clear dangerous tackle, but I’m not watching that replay again to refresh my memory 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

That’s what is commonly called a tactical tackle though. Happens all the time, and as I’ve said, I’ve seen plenty on here saying they think someone should’ve done one of these tactical cheating, err, tackles, when we’ve conceded. I hate them personally but it is part of the game sadly, this one just ended up going horribly wrong.

Personally think the other guy is more responsible than Son, for me that was a clear dangerous tackle, but I’m not watching that replay again to refresh my memory 

I think it’s called a tactical foul not a tactical tackle, and I agree you won’t stop them, but there should be an appropriate punishment to try and protect players, you get a yellow card for kicking the ball away. 

18 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I think it’s called a tactical foul not a tactical tackle, and I agree you won’t stop them, but there should be an appropriate punishment to try and protect players, you get a yellow card for kicking the ball away. 

How many injuries are caused from them? Gomes is just terribly unlucky on this occasion. 

If anything I'd blame the referee for being too lenient so the spurs players were kicking more and more. Even the commentator said about Eriksen it's about time Spurs got a yellow. 

Coleman's was another due to the ref having no control on the game. 

The norm for a cynical foul like this is a yellow. 
This one was unlucky, there probably was a bit of afters from Son after he thought he’d been elbowed, but he’ll make that same challenge 100 times in his career and there won’t be an injury. This one is a freak event and it’s horrible. It’s compounded by Aurier coming in, if he doesn’t get in there I don’t think the injury is half as bad. 

At the end of the day it’s done, no one can take it back. Son’s red card has gone and that won’t change either. Gomes has taken a terrible injury, we can only hope he comes back the same player. 

30 minutes ago, StevO said:

The norm for a cynical foul like this is a yellow. 
This one was unlucky, there probably was a bit of afters from Son after he thought he’d been elbowed, but he’ll make that same challenge 100 times in his career and there won’t be an injury. This one is a freak event and it’s horrible. It’s compounded by Aurier coming in, if he doesn’t get in there I don’t think the injury is half as bad. 

At the end of the day it’s done, no one can take it back. Son’s red card has gone and that won’t change either. Gomes has taken a terrible injury, we can only hope he comes back the same player. 

What's annoying is how Son's the one getting all the pity from the media. Was out in the car listening to the build up for their game tonight and all the talk was about how he was going to get over it, then they made a big deal about him being the one to lead the team out for the warm-up.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Taking the man out with no intention to win the ball, I call it a tackle when a player try’s to take the ball from another player. 
And you calling what he did a tackle Is very strange?

Looking at the FA rules I guess it would be determined as one of a tackle / challenge / trip. Incidentally it mentions nothing about intending to win the ball. 

I would call it one of the above. 

I find all of this a bit sanctimonious. Gomes is easily the worst player on our team for making these challenges. Not trying to win the ball but to bring the player down. He has even been seen stamping on opponents out of revenge. 

52 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Looking at the FA rules I guess it would be determined as one of a tackle / challenge / trip. Incidentally it mentions nothing about intending to win the ball. 

I would call it one of the above. 

I find all of this a bit sanctimonious. Gomes is easily the worst player on our team for making these challenges. Not trying to win the ball but to bring the player down. He has even been seen stamping on opponents out of revenge. 

And he got a three game for it.