IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Gomes' signing actually gives me more hope for Davies.

While his signing will almost certainly see Davies play less, he is an ideal person for Davies to watch and learn from. I hope he takes the opportunity to do just that.

I'm sure Silva will be making sure he does. From the articles I have read I think Silva wants to mold him, and as you say Gomes is the perfect role model.

10 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Probably a little bit unfair. I don't think he'll be throwing himself into challenge after challenge, but I thought he looked willing to chase and put his foot in when needed.

His stats say he attempted 1 tackle which he didn't win and 1 aerial battle which he didn't win but I saw a lot of occasions in the air where he turned his back and didn't even challenge.

He isn'tt in there to do the dirty stuff, Gana tackles enough for 5 people at times and Siggy inst shy of a challenge either but on first sight I doubt we will see him in many 50/50s.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

How long was he out? How many minutes has he played? 

Lets the give lad a chance before making any judgements, positive or negative and also trust Marco and Marcel’s expertise 

When new evidence comes to light I might need to change my opinion but on first sight he just doesn't look that type of player regardless of being out or his injury. Look at Seamus and McCarthy, they come back and flew into tackles because that's how they play, that is their mentality. It doesnt make him a bad player in any stretch and as I said it isnt why he is in the team but its something I noticed during the game.

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

His stats say he attempted 1 tackle which he didn't win and 1 aerial battle which he didn't win but I saw a lot of occasions in the air where he turned his back and didn't even challenge.

He isn'ttt in there to do the dirty stuff, Gana tackles enough for 5 people at times and Siggy inst shy of a challenge either but on first sight I doubt we will see him in many 50/50s.

When new evidence comes to light I might need to change my opinion but on first sight he just doesn't look that type of player regardless of being out or his injury. Look at Seamus and McCarthy, they come back and flew into tackles because that's how they play, that is their mentality. It doesnt make him a bad player in any stretch and as I said it isnt why he is in the team but its something I noticed during the game.

I think he’ll be more of a hustler than someone flying into challenges. That’s fine by me because, as you said, that side of the game is the job for others. 

I think he’ll have more about him than Schneiderlin, though, and will make more than token tackles like him. 

34 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He isn'ttt in there to do the dirty stuff, Gana tackles enough for 5 people at times and Siggy inst shy of a challenge either but on first sight I doubt we will see him in many 50/50s.

I thought I saw him get in peoples face at the start and force them to play back. 

Like it’s been said before, he need some time. I’m excited to see him play after 5 or so games. 

21 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think he’ll have more about him than Schneiderlin, though, and will make more than token tackles like him

Decent players don't need to make tackles though Mark, their positional sense means they know where the ball's going to be before the opposition do; a high tackling stat shows how poor a player you are. If you have a high interception rate as well which would seem to suggest good positional sense it means you're....something or other...and can only pass backwards or to the opposition. High tackle stat + high interception stat = worst player in the shirt. Ever.

Simple.

21 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Decent players don't need to make tackles though Mark, their positional sense means they know where the ball's going to be before the opposition do; a high tackling stat shows how poor a player you are. If you have a high interception rate as well which would seem to suggest good positional sense it means you're....something or other...and can only pass backwards or to the opposition. High tackle stat + high interception stat = worst player in the shirt. Ever.

Simple.

Think that was his point mate 

30 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Simple.

😂😂😂😂

36 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Simple.

That must mean Schneiderlin is a worldwide then!

Pickford is shite, if he was any good he would stop players shooting as they would know he would save it, they only shoot because he’s in the wrong position!

34 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Simple.

I do love this "good players don't tackle bollocks".....

Biggest load of pretentious shite I've ever fuckin heard.  

I played against a proper touch footballer once. (Team called the thatch tavern) He was at a level where he didn't need to tackle cos their team had the ball 80% of the time and he was the man the person who won the ball passed it to.

The reason they had the ball so much was cos he passed it almost the second he got it.... not 30 yards, not even 20 yards.  5/10 yard passes, he would  and I was the DM assigned to hit him hard.  (He was at Everton as a youth I believe). 

I didn't get anywhere near him till the last 5 minutes and hacked him down when he decided to run with it. 

Point of the story.... tackling good players is hard.     Intercepting good players passes is hard. 

If you can tackle, have a high tackle success rate and dont get penalised often then it's a skill.... a big skill. 

4 hours ago, London Blue said:

We have to sign him, whatever it takes.

I watch Barcelona occasionally, but don’t know enough about their full squad, players on loan, etc.  I wonder whether Gomes is a strong candidate to replace Busquets (who’s 30) a couple years from now.  

If yes, maybe that’s bad news/good news - bad in that they are unlikely to sell him, but good in that they might loan him to us a second year.

Any Barça experts out there?

2 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I watch Barcelona occasionally, but don’t know enough about their full squad, players on loan, etc.  I wonder whether Gomes is a strong candidate to replace Busquets (who’s 30) a couple years from now.  

If yes, maybe that’s bad news/good news - bad in that they are unlikely to sell him, but good in that they might loan him to us a second year.

Any Barça experts out there?

They were desperate to get rid of him this summer. They only wanted to sell him but we dug our heels in for a loan deal.