IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

That he’s a quality, quality player who’s having a rough patch along with the rest of the team in a crowded schedule.

He’s a step above any player we’ve had in decades. 

I thought the same and still think ability wise he's another level..  I'm concerned the drop is not tiredness though. 

Been bitten before like this with schneiderlein and Barkley. 

40 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I thought the same and still think ability wise he's another level..  I'm concerned the drop is not tiredness though. 

Been bitten before like this with schneiderlein and Barkley. 

He reminds me of top form Schneiderlin to be honest, so I understand the concern. But it’s hard to judge anyone individually over the last couple of months 

In the last few games I have noticed how often he has been picking the ball up deep of the CBs and then controlling the game. In the first halves of games he has been always moving, always demanding the ball. 

When he has stopped doing that, mainly in the 2nd half, we have lost that hold on the match, we lose possession too readily and the game becomes scrappy. He is also getting more passes under pressure, not being as accurate and his own game nosedives. 

When he first came on today he was again very static, but once he warmed up properly he was demanding the ball all the time and he dominated the game the way Gana, Davies and Siggy should all have done before him.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to think we’ve seen him at his very best, and hay his average game.... just isn’t very good. Is this why he isn’t getting a chance at Barca? 

His passing is atrocious. It’s not the hard balls either, it’s the simple ten yard passes that he can’t seem to hit a player with. 

Mots easy to play a 40 yard ball into a player with space, they have a few seconds to get into position to receive a ball, but to play a short ball you have to be an accurate passer, and he just isn’t. 

Im afraid he just isn’t the answer to or dilemma. Dacoure, would be a much better option. Tough and dynamic.

5 hours ago, Finn balor said:

He’s come in for a bit of stick the last few games .i think mainly because of how well he started. The lad is a quality footballer, he’s had a dip that’s all. He will come good again lads 

We could say this about Barkley....  Sadly some players just don't have the strong mindset to allow their talent to prosper. 

He just doesnt look anything like the player he can be. 

16 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I watched Barkley for four years I’ve seen Gomes had 4 average games by his standard 

Average?   I think a few fans are trying to gloss over how bad he actually is when he isn'tt playing well.... he literally can't pass the ball.  It's like watching a golfer with the yips or a dart thrower struggling to release the dart.

I haven't seen one of his shots threaten the goal yet. 

Yes ive seen him have 3 or 4 games where he looks like a rolls Royce... class. Sadly I've seen him resemble a robin reliant too. 

He mentioned that he struggled mentally at Barca. I thought a new team would do him good.   Sadly I think it's more deep rooted. 

I am now beginning to wonder whether he made such an impression coming into the side because he was the most rounded midfielder we have had since Barry and McCarthy were at their best.

He does always look forward and he wants play the right way. He is very good on the half turn, which is an admirable trait in midfielders, but whilst he is technically good his passing decisions aren't great and his shooting is crap. He is a petulant and rash tackler, he doesn't really compete that much in the air and he is useless at tracking runners for set pieces.

I do think there is a very good player there, especially once he is fully settled but I think the price would definitely have to be right as I think our priority should be for a more dominant midfielder ahead of him.

14 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’m at the point where it might be worth trying him with Schneiderlin in midfield, not because Gana is doing anything wrong just to try a player alongside who might bring something else out in his game. At this point anything is worth a try isn’t it?

Not Schniederlin though , I've seem enough of him jogging around aimlessly, we would have the most toothless midfield ever.