IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

I am now beginning to wonder whether he made such an impression coming into the side because he was the most rounded midfielder we have had since Barry and McCarthy were at their best.

He does always look forward and he wants play the right way. He is very good on the half turn, which is an admirable trait in midfielders, but whilst he is technically good his passing decisions aren't great and his shooting is crap. He is a petulant and rash tackler, he doesn't really compete that much in the air and he is useless at tracking runners for set pieces.

I do think there is a very good player there, especially once he is fully settled but I think the price would definitely have to be right as I think our priority should be for a more dominant midfielder ahead of him.

Sadly for me he is going to frustrate if we buy him.  Great on his day but is lacking the strength mentally. 

20 hours ago, StevO said:

I’m at the point where it might be worth trying him with Schneiderlin in midfield, not because Gana is doing anything wrong just to try a player alongside who might bring something else out in his game. At this point anything is worth a try isn’t it?

I get what you mean but I would really worry about those two together. 

• 3 weeks later...

I watched some of his Youtube videos of all his touches in games for Valencia and its like watching a different player. He played like a Spanish Lampard but quicker. He even made a couple of long breaks down the left wing and beat men for pace. Basically the goal he scored against Wolves, making runs into the box and smashing the ball as hard as he could. 

He also looked a lot less bulky and a lot quicker and more agile but he isnt a holding midfielder. He should be doing what Davies has been doing for the last couple of games. He should also be laying off the pies or the weights, whichever one it is that has caused him to fill out and slow him down.

14 hours ago, Bailey said:

I watched some of his Youtube videos of all his touches in games for Valencia and its like watching a different player. He played like a Spanish Lampard but quicker. He even made a couple of long breaks down the left wing and beat men for pace. Basically the goal he scored against Wolves, making runs into the box and smashing the ball as hard as he could. 

He also looked a lot less bulky and a lot quicker and more agile but he isnt a holding midfielder. He should be doing what Davies has been doing for the last couple of games. He should also be laying off the pies or the weights, whichever one it is that has caused him to fill out and slow him down.

Maybe he has just filled out with his age, according to his wiki he was around 21-22 when he played for Valencia.

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i laughed at the pies comment, he's spent his whole life on the iberian peninsula and he's being told to eat less pies.  LOL.  you lot are the only ones that eat those horrid things.

I beg your pardon you can't beat a good pie you heathen😉

35 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i laughed at the pies comment, he's spent his whole life on the iberian peninsula and he's being told to eat less pies.  LOL.  you lot are the only ones that eat those horrid things.

I'm not a pie eater, pastry gives me heartburn, but you have some awful stuff over there MJB, corn dogs, those hot dog things that roll around on heated rollers all day, aerosol cheese 😱😱😱😱

25 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

I'm not a pie eater, pastry gives me heartburn, but you have some awful stuff over there MJB, corn dogs, those hot dog things that roll around on heated rollers all day, aerosol cheese 😱😱😱😱

where did i say american food was better?  i said he's been in spain and portugal, not sure if any englishman (or american for that matter) will think their food is better than portuguese or spanish food.  i surely don't.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

where did i say american food was better?  i said he's been in spain and portugal, not sure if any englishman (or american for that matter) will think their food is better than portuguese or spanish food.  i surely don't.

American food is better!! I love a good pie, but give me In & Out burger over anything 😍

9 hours ago, StevO said:

American food is better!! I love a good pie, but give me In & Out burger over anything 😍

Had a Google they do look good! We had Shake Shack in New York which was really good compared to many I've had over here, they do have them in London now but I'd imagine it's not the same 

One of the nastiest things I ate over there was grits! Frog spawn porridge concoction 😫

57 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Had a Google they do look good! We had Shake Shack in New York which was really good compared to many I've had over here, they do have them in London now but I'd imagine it's not the same 

One of the nastiest things I ate over there was grits! Frog spawn porridge concoction 😫

Haha, grits are best when other stuff is in them.  For instance shrimp and grits it’s grits, shrimps, cheese, green onions, and usually some spices so it has a little heat.  Very simple and delicious.

im with you though, grits on their own are gross

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

You didn't, I was just balancing the books a little 😀

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/02/2019 at 14:45, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

It’s being reported on local radio today that Barcelona are expecting to sell him in the summer and are just waiting for us to open negotiations, also says Andre is believed to be happy here and wants to stay

What matters is whether we’re happy with him here and want him to stay. Right now, I’m in two minds. 

I thought it was noticeable in the 2nd half that the movement around him is holding him back. He beat his man a number of times, looked up and no-one had made themselves available, then he had to hold on the ball for too long and got into trouble. He always wants to get his head up and the ball forward but you can only do that if your teammates are on the same wavelength.

On 16/03/2019 at 00:31, Bailey said:

I thought it was noticeable in the 2nd half that the movement around him is holding him back. He beat his man a number of times, looked up and no-one had made themselves available, then he had to hold on the ball for too long and got into trouble. He always wants to get his head up and the ball forward but you can only do that if your teammates are on the same wavelength.

Some of the dick heads we have playing for us aren't even in the same stratosphere.