Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, London Blue said:

No midfielder could function well in the shit show that was our midfield last season.

With no success or energy in getting the ball back or retention, nobody could flourish. 

With a better midfield, more options to pass to and and a solid defence he will be given the platform to shine. He will play better football with better players around him.

Like a quarterback in american football the better receivers and passing options he he has the better he can be.

He played with Gana when he was doing 8 tackles a game and struggled ... He played with busquets and xavi and struggled.

Again.... I'm not being negative. Just really struggling with the narrative that his levels are dependent on fitness or personnel.  It's nonsense.... It would be great if there was a magic wand to wave by signing better players.

He can dominate games against the likes of Man United or Liverpool when lacking fitness or a good partner but look complete shite against Aston Villa with good partners.

I just hope he finds his form but for me he's just one of those players who will amaze and frustrate

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Niasse is the embodiment of Ronaldo.  

He was our best player by a country mile Sunday. I’d even go as far as saying at times he was the best player on the pitch. Ridiculously hard to get the ball off.  Massive, Massive talent 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

You say he hasn't shown anything but Ancelotti picked him every week over the others so he at least showed more than them. 

I can't see how he will still be that man when the others come in but he has it in him to raise his game and I still expect he will play a fair amount of time. 

Ancellotti had the choice of:- Siggy, Delph, Davies or Gomes.  2 ruled themselves out by being injured or complete shite 

Gomes is a gamble player... You may just get a performance from him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, London Blue said:

I'll end with this, you yourself said in previous posts that he played really well the first season, when he had Gana helping him out.

Now he has Allan and co so I believe he will again show his quality.

I have said that he can resemble Kaka..... I also said that he can resemble horse cack.  

Yes it's possible to be be both.... See Schneiderlein, Gylfi, Lukaku etc

I actually questioned whether we should buy him....  I actually made comments in the Leicester game that only Gana stopped us getting mauled cos Gomes gave the ball away so often.  His levels have nothing to do with fitness or personnel 

He is probably as talented as Arteta  - but it is going to take some seriously good management to get those levels from him.  I for one hope he does because we have seen how good he can be....  And that is elite level.  Sadly we've seen him look Sunday league level too. That's the problem. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2019 at 12:49, Hafnia said:

Gomes is stinking the place out... ffs

 

On 01/01/2019 at 12:49, markjazzbassist said:

Gana just saved us again.  Gomes looks rough again today.

 

On 01/01/2019 at 12:56, Hafnia said:

Gomes fragility showing.... seems to let mistakes bother him. 

 

On 01/01/2019 at 12:55, badaids said:

What the hell is up with Gomes today. Messing everything thing up.

 

On 05/01/2019 at 17:00, Hafnia said:

It seems many on here including myself have been quick to get excited over gomes

 

On 05/01/2019 at 20:39, Hafnia said:

I thought the same and still think ability wise he's another level..  I'm concerned the drop is not tiredness though. 

Been bitten before like this with schneiderlein and Barkley. 

 

On 19/01/2019 at 17:16, Hafnia said:

Not worth what's been quoted. Mentally flawed. Sad but true.  Hes like Barkley as I said weeks ago....  fuck all to do with tiredness.  That lot played 120 minutes midweek. 

 

On 20/01/2019 at 20:25, MikeO said:

He wasn't average yesterday though I wish he had been, it would've been a huge step up from what I saw.

 

On 13/01/2019 at 15:14, Hafnia said:

I want to see more from Gomes. Don't think it's all about marking if I'm honest.  Something isn't right and I fear it's his mental.approach

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Selecting only a handful of posts isn’t helping your argument Haf, nor is insisting that it’s only his mentality that’s holding him back. I bet the positive comments are about 50-1 and it is a combination of mentality, injuries and the team/players around him/the club being in disarray that contribute to his hot and cold nature. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Palfy said:

There is no doubt in my mind that he has an exceptional talent we’ve all witnessed it, his first Derby will stick out for me as master class in midfield he was the best player on the pitch, sadly we haven’t been getting that anymore before or after the injury. 
As a person I love him, he’s a genuinely humble caring human being, As a footballer I respect him, but I also worry for him because we are bringing in some huge talent in the midfield, some are concerned about his mentality I hope he comes out fighting for his place and gives Ancelotti a dilemma on his starting eleven, because he has a lot of convincing to do imo. 

That I think sums it up perfectly for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt said:

Selecting only a handful of posts isn’t helping your argument Haf, nor is insisting that it’s only his mentality that’s holding him back. I bet the positive comments are about 50-1 and it is a combination of mentality, injuries and the team/players around him/the club being in disarray that contribute to his hot and cold nature. 

Matt.... The point that was made was that I said he played well when Gana was helping him out in the first season. The quotes from the Leicester game are there to prove that wasn't the case.   Gana was playing.

Its not about whether I have made positive posts or not.... That is my other point ... He can look like kaka or cack.

What we want to believe and what is actually factual are 2 different things.  I want to believe that he will be great with better players and being fit but the fact is that his poor performances are not consistent with those factors. 

The lads been through a lot, emotionally at Barca and physically at Everton.  He's a model pro and his talent is up there but I'm against this whole rewriting of history in order to in some way blame other factors for his poor performances. That has to come from himself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Palfy said:

There is no doubt in my mind that he has an exceptional talent we’ve all witnessed it, his first Derby will stick out for me as master class in midfield he was the best player on the pitch, sadly we haven’t been getting that anymore before or after the injury. 
As a person I love him, he’s a genuinely humble caring human being, As a footballer I respect him, but I also worry for him because we are bringing in some huge talent in the midfield, some are concerned about his mentality I hope he comes out fighting for his place and gives Ancelotti a dilemma on his starting eleven, because he has a lot of convincing to do imo. 

Exactly my point.  This whole sugar coating certain players and offering excuses has got to stop.  

Bolassie showed us something yesterday that Walcott hasn't in a long time... It was great to see a player written off as having some fight in him.  This is how our club needs to be to move forward

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Matt.... The point that was made was that I said he played well when Gana was helping him out in the first season. The quotes from the Leicester game are there to prove that wasn't the case.   Gana was playing.

Its not about whether I have made positive posts or not.... That is my other point ... He can look like kaka or cack.

What we want to believe and what is actually factual are 2 different things.  I want to believe that he will be great with better players and being fit but the fact is that his poor performances are not consistent with those factors. 

The lads been through a lot, emotionally at Barca and physically at Everton.  He's a model pro and his talent is up there but I'm against this whole rewriting of history in order to in some way blame other factors for his poor performances. That has to come from himself. 

It was to reaffirm your opinion of the player hasn’t changed in the last two years. We know that.
But what for? It’s not going to change anyone else’s positive view on him because you think he’s not been good for a long time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No one is trying to rewrite history. No one has said he’s been brilliant all the time. No one is saying he isn’t a confidence player (think most actually acknowledge that) which reflects the mentality thing. But it is more a balance / combination of things rather than predominantly mental. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StevO said:

It was to reaffirm your opinion of the player hasn’t changed in the last two years. We know that.
But what for? It’s not going to change anyone else’s positive view on him because you think he’s not been good for a long time. 

No. It was to correct the statement by london that I stated he was good with Gana.... Which somehow was supposed to contradict my assertion that his good and bad performances have no consistench with playing partners or fitness ....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

No. It was to correct the statement by london that I stated he was good with Gana.... Which somehow was supposed to contradict my assertion that his good and bad performances have no consistench with playing partners or fitness ....

 

To reaffirm your opinion. That’s what I said. 
Im sure LB doesn’t need you to correct his opinion. Many people think he played well with Gana, you probably won’t change that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Matt said:

No one is trying to rewrite history. No one has said he’s been brilliant all the time. No one is saying he isn’t a confidence player (think most actually acknowledge that) which reflects the mentality thing. But it is more a balance / combination of things rather than predominantly mental. 

But that's the whole point of this debate and critique of the player....  If someone said XY or Z could only play in a certain system then people would look for evidence to confirm or suggest otherwise 

My point is I've seen his 2 or 3 better performances when coming back from injury of having just signed.  I've also seen these with better players 

I've also said that in poor games you can tell by his demeanour that he isn't right... There's no confidence

That's the evidence to back up the opinion whereas I'm being told I had previously said otherwise. Which I again proved wasn't the case 

Listen... I love the bloke. I really really want him to do well, do much so that I've analysed his good Vs bad games to see if anything tells us why..... And can't other than his confidence/mentality

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StevO said:

To reaffirm your opinion. That’s what I said. 
Im sure LB doesn’t need you to correct his opinion. Many people think he played well with Gana, you probably won’t change that. 

He played great with Gana.... He also played shite with gana.   This is my point Steve ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to give some absolute clarity on this.....  

I'm not talking about a football player who has the odd 9/10 game and the odd 6/10 game. That's normal. 

I'm talking about a player who can look like one of the best in the world or a total imposter....  Never before have I seen these levels of difference. 

The games where he plays great Vs shite have absolutely nothing in the to draw a conclusion from..... He's played awesome against great teams and shite Vs poor teams. Great when unfit and shite when fit.   

I'm happy for someone to tell me what it is that makes him have his great games Vs shite because I've looked at everything bar the weather

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree in that there has been no pattern to his good or bad play. It could be playing with anyone, in any formation against any particular type of team. 

Having said that I think he particularly struggles in a 442 but then again he was superb against Sheffield Utd. 

Allegedly the fans at Goodison park were the issue for some awful team performances... Then we had lockdown games, then that argument was shattered.

It's time the players took responsibility

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Exactly my point.  This whole sugar coating certain players and offering excuses has got to stop.  

Bolassie showed us something yesterday that Walcott hasn't in a long time... It was great to see a player written off as having some fight in him.  This is how our club needs to be to move forward

Bolassie showed it in the first friendly as well. I have a lot more respect for him than I do for a guy like Iwobi who, while probably possessing more ability, seems scared to pull the trigger and is afraid of making a mistake. Bolassie will go at a defense and often cause them problems. That mentality is what I want in a winger. I realize we aren’t dumping Iwobi (nor should we at this point) but I wouldn’t be upset if we kept Bolassie over Walcott. Doesn’t seem sensible or necessary to me to keep both. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Just to give some absolute clarity on this.....  

I'm not talking about a football player who has the odd 9/10 game and the odd 6/10 game. That's normal. 

I'm talking about a player who can look like one of the best in the world or a total imposter....  Never before have I seen these levels of difference. 

The games where he plays great Vs shite have absolutely nothing in the to draw a conclusion from..... He's played awesome against great teams and shite Vs poor teams. Great when unfit and shite when fit.   

I'm happy for someone to tell me what it is that makes him have his great games Vs shite because I've looked at everything bar the weather

I’ve solved it - It’s the weather. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Played well in a new midfield, his passing was good, constantly found space for himself and read the game well.

Allot more to come from him in this team.

How may times did he lose the ball sloppily though? Is that ok?

I agree there’s more to come, but that doesn’t excuse falling over and calling for free kicks weakly. Sorry but I just come from a tougher upbringing than that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Shukes said:

How may times did he lose the ball sloppily though? Is that ok?

I agree there’s more to come, but that doesn’t excuse falling over and calling for free kicks weakly. Sorry but I just come from a tougher upbringing than that.

I come from a pretty tough place and Gomes does not strike me as particularly weak. There are many types of weakness and believe me when I say everybody has them. 

Cant remember him loosing the ball more than any other player, when I watched I saw him link the play well, tackle, press and pass. Yes he was a bit rusty as was everyone.

He was also playing in a new position higher up the pitch. But football is a game of opinions and I respect yours.

I just wish ALL Evertonians would be positive and get behind the players, especially when we have just beaten so called big side away from home and fully deserved it.

COYB

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought he was good, bit rusty but he has had no pre season really. He ran the midfield at the start with good sharp passes. All our players gave the ball away poorly once not just Gomes. I think he’s going to have a good season, also think Siggy off the bench for him is not a bad thing either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't necessarily have a bad game, but he didn't really add anything either, and I don't think he will in the future either as a more advanced midfielder as his main strength is ball retention. Would love to see James in his place in the middle with Allan and Doucouré. Add Walcott's pace on the right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steve_E said:

Didn't necessarily have a bad game, but he didn't really add anything either, and I don't think he will in the future either as a more advanced midfielder as his main strength is ball retention. Would love to see James in his place in the middle with Allan and Doucouré. Add Walcott's pace on the right.

My thoughts as well. Not saying he had a bad game as such, but I do think if he wants to retain his place, he needs to step it up.

I actually thought Siggy looked better when he came on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, London Blue said:

I come from a pretty tough place and Gomes does not strike me as particularly weak. There are many types of weakness and believe me when I say everybody has them. 

Cant remember him loosing the ball more than any other player, when I watched I saw him link the play well, tackle, press and pass. Yes he was a bit rusty as was everyone.

He was also playing in a new position higher up the pitch. But football is a game of opinions and I respect yours.

I just wish ALL Evertonians would be positive and get behind the players, especially when we have just beaten so called big side away from home and fully deserved it.

COYB

Not sure which fans weren’t behind them? I certainly was 100% behind the team. 
 

But that doesn’t stop me from having an opinion about Gomes in the GOMES thread. It’s not that I thought he had a bad game, just that I thought he was more one of the weaker players out there. The couple of time’s when he ended up being the last man between the forwards and defence when they had the Ball... was a worry for me, and ended up in attacks for them. I would have rather he brought the player down in their half and stopped the attack. 
He is a very good player and can be a lot better than that. It’s just now I think he needs to be better, as we have options available.

But you have your own view and saw it differently than me, and could be right. It’s just how I saw it that’s all, I could be wrong 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really surprised to come in here and read some of this to be honest.

I thought the midfield was brilliant, all of them. Yeah, some were better than others but they were all very good and I didn't think there was a weak link between them.

In fact, the only weak link in the entire side was Coleman and that was only a couple of instances early on in the first half! Proper team performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the highlights he was a lot more involved that I remember and linked up well with James. So that’s a good thing. He drifted out the game later on, maybe fatigue but also Richy seemed to be dominating his position on the inside left as he dropped back.

I love Gomes but I’d like to see Bernard have a go in that role too. Gomes’ best games have always been when he is deeper and central but Allan and The Count are there now. I really hope we can find a place for G to shine in this new look team. My fear is that he will become obsolete to us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bailey said:

I thought he did well enough but he was very safe. He took them on a bit more as the game went on but it was all a bit timid. There is more to come from him.

This for me. I think I mentioned it in the match day thread, but he’s had a more defensive role the last 2 seasons which isn’t what he was brought to do. The “turn and pass back every time” needs to be coached out of him a bit, and having the others around him capable of playing centrally and further up will help him dramatically 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...