IGNORED

André Gomes

Peter H

23 minutes ago, StevO said:

One game in and people are on Gylfi’s back already? Wow!

its too early to be giving anyone grief yet. Gylfi has one good chance, I’d expect him to score it but due to his own high standard. 

Was going to say the same; you don't drop a player, particularly one of your best, after one bad game played in a force 8 gale.

30 minutes ago, StevO said:

its too early to be giving anyone grief yet. Gylfi has one good chance, I’d expect him to score it but due to his own high standard. 

He also had one cleared of the line didn't he? Knee jerk reactions due to emotions at min mate.

59 minutes ago, StevO said:

Not one game in. More a continuation from last season. He doesn't get on the ball enough, not his fault he just doesn't have the attributes for the role he's being asked to do. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Not one game in. More a continuation from last season. He doesn't get on the ball enough, not his fault he just doesn't have the attributes for the role he's being asked to do. 

Ignoring the inaccuracies (which we’ve been over countless times), where would you play him knowing that he’s going to be a starter?

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Ignoring the inaccuracies (which we’ve been over countless times), where would you play him knowing that he’s going to be a starter?

Depending if Iwobi is up for the role Silva wants from the AM I'd try Sigurdssen on the left with Digne being his legs on the overlap. Would get Sigurdssen on the ball more, he's got the ability for the one twos and vision to find a pass to the middle if it's on. DCL wins a lot in the air too so would be a good option to pick out with the long ball.

If Iwobi isn't up for pressing AM role I'd change the system completely as it doesn't work with the players we've got. 

17 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Depending if Iwobi is up for the role Silva wants from the AM I'd try Sigurdssen on the left with Digne being his legs on the overlap. Would get Sigurdssen on the ball more, he's got the ability for the one twos and vision to find a pass to the middle if it's on. DCL wins a lot in the air too so would be a good option to pick out with the long ball.

If Iwobi isn't up for pressing AM role I'd change the system completely as it doesn't work with the players we've got. 

You’d break up Bernard and Digne? I honestly thought you’d say put him next to Gomes

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

You’d break up Bernard and Digne? I honestly thought you’d say put him next to Gomes

I'd give Sigurdssen a go as out of the two of them I think Bernard deserves to be dropped more.

As much as Bernard can be a joy to watch at times he just doesn't have the end product and is sometimes guilty of playing in his comfort zone too. Ideally you could get the machine from The Fly and splice the two of them together. 

Against lower teams Sigurdssen could have a go on the middle but with him being quite a reactive player I'd be worried about him defensively. 

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If Silva is ever going to drop Siggy (which I can't see coming any time soon) then I would hope we would just get rid of the 10 position completely and not just put someone else in there. It's just a waste and adds no real tactical advantage (assuming the player could play as well in midfield). 

I think Iwobi Kean and Gbamin were brought into be starters and not bench warmers. 

Gbamin replaces Gana Kean replaces DCL, so who does Iwobi replace Bernard I don’t think so even though he could, I don’t think Silva would want to breakup the pairing of him and Digne, I see him replacing Gylfi even if he does play a different role and not an out and out number 10. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

I think Iwobi Kean and Gbamin were brought into be starters and not bench warmers. 

Gbamin replaces Gana Kean replaces DCL, so who does Iwobi replace Bernard I don’t think so even though he could, I don’t think Silva would want to breakup the pairing of him and Digne, I see him replacing Gylfi even if he does play a different role and not an out and out number 10. 

I just think it's to add competition. I would like to think they aren't guaranteed anything and therefore have to outperform whoever currently has the shirt. 

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

A lot of these problems would be easily sorted if we had a striker that can score. Sometimes it’s that simple. Look at spurs last night 

Motd said they sorted their problem by bringing Eriksen on in midfield. (Didn't watch the game but in general he helps the football flow and has the extra quality to create chances for the striker). 

5 hours ago, Finn balor said:

4-3-3 

Gbamin

Gomes/Delph      Gilfi/bernard

Charlie             Kean.          Iwobi 

I’d like us to transition to this. Maybe with Delph/Gbamin and Davies as back up to Gomes.

30 minutes ago, Deacs said:

I like it, but we’d need to make sure the back line was water tight first though.

We’ve been strong at the back for a while - Mina coming in is the only question mark for me right now. Completion for Coleman will hopefully keep him at his upper levels.

Its not to be more attacking but to allow Bernard and richarlison to stay higher and get more of the ball in the final third as Gylfi just isn’t getting on it enough. Hopefully force him onto it deeper!

• 1 month later...

Marco Silva confirmed Andre Gomes missed Sunday's clash against Bournemouth with a rib injury, adding that the Club will "have to see day to day" when the midfielder will return.

The Portugal midfielder suffered the injury towards the end of the 3-2 win over Wolves at Goodison two weeks ago.

Silva said: "He [Gomes] felt something after the Wolves match. He tried to work during the week but in the last days he felt it again.

"It's the ribs. It's something we will have to see day by day how he recovers from that situation. What we want to do is get him ready as fast as we can.

Him being out is a big miss and a kick in the ribs. 

• 2 weeks later...