André Gomes

Peter H

2 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

The pace of the Portuguese league will suit him more then the prem, could have been a Rolls Royce player for us before the horror injury, I wish him all the best.

He was RR before the injury, very sad the way it went. But Son is a saint who went in with no intent, press say so.

40 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Just watched the US training video from today and he’s clearly not there (or at least involved in the session). The Gomes we had on-loan was excellent but I’ve been so underwhelmed since - obviously the injury didn’t help but still. Fingers crossed on another high earner off the books.

49 minutes ago, StevO said:

The Wolves goal was a beauty, and a glimpse of what he was capable off, unfortunately not seen enough of it. 
Wish him nothing but the best, clearly a great fella. 

Why are we wishing him fond farewells already? Did I miss something? 

6 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Why are we wishing him fond farewells already? Did I miss something? 

It’s only a rumour but being linked with a move to Benfica and the rumour is that he’s happy with the move. If he’s happy, I’m happy for him. 

I love Andre, when he arrived he was brilliant. I had never seen a player who was able to carry and protect the ball like that. And he’s a gent. Gutted that it hasn’t worked out, largely because of reasons beyond his control. I hope he gets the future he wants.

I wish him well.  Loads of ability but mentally unable to tap into it.  Similar to Barkley from that perspective but in a different way. 

The injury didn't help but I don't think that was the factor.  Pre injury he had inexplicable bad games for us. 

Could do with Pickford's psychologist. 

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

My o lay problem is, that if he goes, I’ll have to take down the life size picture from the ceiling over my bed.

Thats going to take some work, the missus loves the beard!

Do you get your Olay off the missus or buy your own never used it myself I use Clinique for men😂

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Do you get your Olay off the missus or by your own never used it myself I use Clinique for men😂

It’s more what the Olay was used for with a picture of Andre above the bed!

34 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Was it "Olay olay olay"?

Cosmetics are dangerous things, wife and I used to have a chemist across the road from us and one day she asked me to nip across to buy some baby oil, which I did. Shortly after I was despatched to get a pregnancy test, who knew baby oil made babies?

😂It can be dangerous in the wrong hands I suppose. 

36 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Was it "Olay olay olay"?

Cosmetics are dangerous things, wife and I used to have a chemist across the road from us and one day she asked me to nip across to buy some baby oil, which I did. Shortly after I was despatched to get a pregnancy test, who knew baby oil made babies?

I guess Josh does now 😶

32 minutes ago, msloan78 said:

Managed to watch the game last night, and I thought Gomes made us play much more positively when he came on.

Me too. He seemed to pass forwards a lot more than in the last couple of years. 

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Then our midfield looks very threadbare. Someone comming in perhaps?

Iwobi now a central midfielder, I think. Townsend in. James probably not leaving.Could potentially play JPG and Allan together w/ Doucoure in the more forward role.  I think the plan was always to let Gomes go but then the Siggy stuff happened. Makes me think we know for sure James isn’t leaving this window.

15 minutes ago, London Blue said:

I really rate him, I think her has his mojo back, and that Benitez will get the best out of him.

He was outstanding at Valencia, never really got going at Barcelona as in order to do so he would need to have been better than Iniesta or Xavi to take their places in the XI. 

I love André, fantastic player on his day and really hope that Benitez can be the man to get a real tune out of him, he would have absolutely torn up the Portuguese League too.

31 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

He was outstanding at Valencia, never really got going at Barcelona as in order to do so he would need to have been better than Iniesta or Xavi to take their places in the XI. 

I love André, fantastic player on his day and really hope that Benitez can be the man to get a real tune out of him, he would have absolutely torn up the Portuguese League too.

We have plenty of cover for midfield so we can rest our main men when required. 

41 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Bang on, he feels the love here as well. Seems a good bloke as well, he has a bit of a nasty streak as well so I don’t think he is someone to go through the motions. On his day, he is capable of winning the midfield by himself. Hopefully Benitez can get those days out of him consistently.

On his day he's a player. The only problem is his day doesn't come around too often. It seems he's always an excuse away from being consistent and I'm afraid we will just never see consistency in his game. Like @patto mentioned he may look fitter which is a good thing as I'm not sure we've had a manager in recent years that takes fitness too seriously. My biggest issue with him is when he is out of possession he offers very little to the team. I've never seen a player get dribbled passed so much.

7 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Seems to be that it is the second season after a major injury that a player gets his form back ( if they get it back at all). Let’s hope.

Don't get why the injury even gets brought up. He was at his worse before it.

15 hours ago, pete0 said:

Don't get why the injury even gets brought up. He was at his worse before it.

His form had dipped for sure but that doesn’t change my point. It’s rare for a player to come back to top form in the year following an injury like that. Maybe he will never get back to his best but I think his chances are better in that second year.

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

His form had dipped for sure but that doesn’t change my point. It’s rare for a player to come back to top form in the year following an injury like that. Maybe he will never get back to his best but I think his chances are better in that second year.

His chances are better under a decent coach also. 

44 minutes ago, patto said:

His chances are better under a decent coach also. 

For sure. Whether we will be better under Rafa than Carlo I don’t know but the former does seem to be playing guys in their preferred positions more. Difference between a manager who fits players to a system regardless and one who tweaks his system around where his players will be most useful. 

• 2 weeks later...

shame that shot on the 6yard line didn't creep in. I am desperate for 'other' players to be chipping in with a goal here and there.  This has been one of the things that has been letting us down this past few years.  A goal just gives a player that little more confidence to have a bit more of dig at goal. You never shoot - you will never score. I definitely think he is shooting a little more - so really want one to come off for him.