IGNORED

Remembrance Day

rubecula

As soon as my kids are old enough to understand what happened, I will visit Flanders Fields with them.  Incredibly important to keep remembering and honouring those that lost their lives, even though it is now 100 years ago.

I read somewhere that it is 75 years now since an army last crossed the Rhine, blowing away second longest period which was 3 months.

I struggle to grasp the enormity of it.  It seems like something that would happen in another world. Human beings getting slaughtered like cattle.  I can't get my head around it.

A very small footnote.... what does Tony Blair think he's doing going?  War criminal who should tried at the Hague and hanged. 

As for all the poor people impacted by all wars... lest we forget. 

1 hour ago, johnh said:

I have a copy of a letter my grandfather (who I never knew) wrote to the young sailor uncle when he first joined and was in training.  I must admit that my eyes get quite moist when I read it.  RIP to everyone who gave their lives in WW1.

I have a copy of a letter & poem that my grandfather wrote to his then fiancée (later wife). I've mentioned him on here before, he survived the war (including Passchendaele) but it completely broke him over the years by all accounts and he died homeless and alcoholic before I was born, grandma brought their kids up on her own.

Wish I'd known him, he was called Archie.

Capture.JPG

50 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I have a copy of a letter & poem that my grandfather wrote to his then fiancée (later wife). I've mentioned him on here before, he survived the war (including Passchendaele) but it completely broke him over the years by all accounts and he died homeless and alcoholic before I was born, grandma brought their kids up on her own.

Wish I'd known him, he was called Archie.

Capture.JPG

Mike, the after effects of the war are largely forgotten.  One of my uncles who was gassed had a nervous breakdown after the war and spent nearly 30 years in a mental hospital.  He was discharged in the 1950's and used to come and stay with us from time to time.  He was my mother's brother.  Lovely gentle man whose life was ruined by the war.