IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

4 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Fair enough point on Forest but there are other examples where it’s easy enough to say that making too many changes is a detriment to a club’s season. I’m not saying that transfers don’t help. Of course they can. They just aren’t inherently a positive. I can think of a couple dozen additions over the last few  years that made Everton worse in the long run and so can you.

There is this idea (mostly from supporters I’ll grant you) that transfer = progress. That isn’t always the case. Regarding City etc.. I’ll repeat my earlier point. If bringing in transfers inherently made your squad better then every year the level of football would rise. It doesn’t. Sometimes it helps a team, sometimes it hurts a team. All I’m saying is I don’t think if a team brings in 6 transfers they will definitely improve over a team that only feels the need to bring in 2. The object is to get better and that means different things for different clubs. 

I don’t think Simms makes the case you believe it does. He’s not playing for us right now because he’s not been deemed ready. His development towards being a premier league player IS an example of not having to always do it with additions. Maybe he gets there maybe he doesn’t but we aren’t just dropping him as an Everton player because he’s not there yet. A better example is Gordon. We are choosing to develop a young talent rather than just bring in someone for the position. Whether it works out or not it makes the point that you don’t have to just buy to get better. You can develop players you have like Gordon, or find a better position for someone like Iwobi, or just have players reaching their prime like Pickford. All of that can improve us and none of it has to do with a transfer. 

You hear it every window from people that if we aren’t signing players we are “falling behind”. It isn’t necessarily true. For several previous years Liverpool spent far less on transfers than Everton. They didn’t fall behind because they had already found those they needed, developed them and maintained a lot of stability that improved their squad. 

This season we did absolutely need a bit of an overhaul so lots of additions made sense. Some years that is the case. Other years (hopefully next summer) we will need far less.

Yes we were one of the biggest spenders for a couple of seasons and I agree transfers on there own don’t make you successful, you have to have the right people buying the right players, transfers are not a guaranteed success on there own but are the biggest factor to success if done correctly. The clubs in the top flight need to buy to keep progressing and like us now to remain in the league, if you look at most of the teams in the PL you see very few home grown youngsters some clubs don’t have a single home grown player that makes the starting eleven, if you was to look at the last 15 or so years of the team’s that have had successive seasons in the league you will find that those teams have bought the most expensive players on a more regular basis than team’s that cannot sustain the same level of success, ie Bradford Wigan Hull Fulham Bournemouth Burnley Norwich QPR the list goes on these are the teams that have struggled and will always struggle because of their lack of transfer power. I think the model you are looking for does exist in the lower leagues where most teams who cannot afford to buy success will rely on home grown talent and low level free acquisitions to survive which is something you can not do in the PL. There has only been one team to win the PL that did so on a low budget and inexpensive players and that was Leicester no one ever thought that that would ever happen and the consensus is it will never happen again, the result of this was for the top and richest teams in the league to go out spend big in the transfer market to make sure the gulf between them and your Leicester’s will never be breached again. Then you have the case of Blackburn Rovers who bought the title through transfers and money but when the money started running out they had to sell and no matter how much they tried the encouragement of young talent wasn’t going to save them, or any club that doesn’t regularly enter the transfer market in this league they will be relegated at some point, in the PL the biggest tool to any club is the transfer market, Chelsea will struggle to make top 4 this season unless they can find a world class striker what they have is not good enough to get them were they want to be they will have to spend big in the transfer market if they want to keep their status of a top 4 club same as Utd Ten Hag isn’t enough to turn their fortunes around only the transfer market will be there chance of reclaiming a top 4 spot. 

5 hours ago, FairWooney said:

Shame Ant hasn’t learnt his lesson after getting tagged a diver last season. The way he grabbed his face after Mings brushed his face was very Richarlison and not the kind of thing I like to see.

won’t benefit him with refs going forward that’s for sure

I was hoping Gordon would be player stepping in to Richarlison shoes, bit this falling over and being hurt business just becomes embarrassing.

Gets to the stage, that it's hard too know if there is a genuine foul or just play acting. 

I think we would have to seriously consider taking £40m - that could go a long way to adding to this squad. And in 12-18months time, we can probably loan him back in any case.

My guess is Cheslea will want to use this as a way to move some of their players on, so not sure it would be a cash purchase.

12 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Do Not Sell, the fact Chelsea want to buy him shows how much potential he has.

He will be pivotal for us not only this season but for seasons to come. 

It will alienate a large section of the fan base.

Maybe maybe not but he won’t for fill his potential here, 40m is a huge amount of money for a player at the level he is, the club needs the money to help unshackle it’s self from FFP and it’s debts to help the playing management operate in the transfer market with a bit of freedom. Far too big an offer to turn down. 

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Maybe maybe not but he won’t for fill his potential here, 40m is a huge amount of money for a player at the level he is, the club needs the money to help unshackle it’s self from FFP and it’s debts to help the playing management operate in the transfer market with a bit of freedom. Far too big an offer to turn down. 

He is our most creative player, and the one with the most potential to improve, if we get £40 million for him, how much are we going to have to spend to replace him with an inferior player, because we are not going to get better than him.

Just now, London Blue said:

He is our most creative player, and the one with the most potential to improve, if we get £40 million for him, how much are we going to have to spend to replace him with an inferior player, because we are not going to get better than him.

Is he? Seems to spend a lot of time on the deck. He's still very much in the "massive potential" bracket for me. 

That would be a massive chunk of money but I don't see him leaving being good for him or us. 

2 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

For £40m I would rather keep him, he will be worth double that at least if he  fulfills his potential and I can’t see us replacing him in this window

If they come back with £50m then that’s another matter

How does £10m extra (which will inevitably be with conditional add-ons) make you go from rather not to turning down another £30m? Not that I think he'll ever be an £80m player like. 

10 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Fair enough that’s what you feel about him, but is he really that good, personally I would try for a Gallagher plus money deal, Gallagher is still young can play the 10 and gets a decent goal return and has as much chance of making it as a big player than Gordon, just one option I would go for or even Broja. 

Personally I think Moshiri will sanction the sale even if against the wishes of the manager or DofF. I also believe DCL would have been sold to Newcastle if it wasn’t for his latest injury. Let’s be honest we have had our time as a buying club, it didn’t last long or do us any good and now we have reverted back to a selling club. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Personally I think Moshiri will sanction the sale even if against the wishes of the manager or DofF. I also believe DCL would have been sold to Newcastle if it wasn’t for his latest injury. Let’s be honest we have had our time as a buying club, it didn’t last long or do us any good and now we have reverted back to a selling club. 

Who have we sold