IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

2 minutes ago, patto said:

Do you think Frank new about this on Saturday when he made a quote saying things will change in the next 2 weeks and we will be stronger.  

No, I think that was simply because he knew we were still working on bringing in Gana and a couple of attacking players before the window closes.

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

Do Not Sell, the fact Chelsea want to buy him shows how much potential he has.

He will be pivotal for us not only this season but for seasons to come. 

It will alienate a large section of the fan base.

Chelsea can afford to invest in potential. They can afford to miss on a 40m transfer. Gordon is quite a ways from being worth that, even with the English premium.  Lot of potential but his finishing and crossing are quite poor, he’s not a player that can really hold the ball up well as we saw so far this season etc.. He might one day be worth that or more but that is a very fair price, more than fair. 

He can't hold the ball up because he is not a forward, he is a winger or a 10, its not in his skill set.

He can and does beat players and create chances. If Frank Lampard one of the greatest midfielders in the history of the premier league says he has the potential to be a top player, and wants to keep him, then thats an indication of how good he is now can be.

Lets not forget, this is his first full season as a regular starter.

5 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He can't hold the ball up because he is not a forward, he is a winger or a 10, its not in his skill set.

He can and does beat players and create chances. If Frank Lampard one of the greatest midfielders in the history of the premier league says he has the potential to be a top player, and wants to keep him, then thats an indication of how good he is now can be.

Frank is also quite happy clappy, so I'd take his praise with a pinch of salt 

8 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Richie could hold the ball. Other top wingers can as well. He lacks that physicality. He can certainly turn an opponent and get in good positions. It just typically goes poorly at that point. He’s not a good crosser at this point and he doesn’t give himself a lot of clean chances. Usually he just ends up running into a defender. 

Of course many of those things can improve. But he is not near a 40m+ player at this point. There are lots of wingers in football who lack end product. That’s where he is. A promising player but one with lots of areas to improve. Given his history with us and his upside I think you’d need an outrageous bid to let him go. 40m+ starts to get into that territory. 

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Frank is also quite happy clappy, so I'd take his praise with a pinch of salt 

Also if anyone is coming in for your player you’re never going to say “Yea, he’s just Ok. Wouldn’t be bothered to let him go” 

I’m sure he genuinely likes the potential of Gordon but that potential has a price. We could get some good players who are better right now with, say, 50m

Just now, Palfy said:

We sold Richarlison for 50m if we get 50m for Gordon I would consider the sale of Richarlison a bargain. 

English premium and the attraction of potential. At this point Richarlison is what he is. Easy to fall in love with the idea of what Gordon might be in a few years. If they pay 50m for Gordon it’s a crazy price. 

Pretty torn on this tbh.

if they go to £50m that’s very good money but we already needed to bring in a couple of attacking players in and then we’ll need to get another one to replace Gordon. And there’s no point replacing Gordon, a player who is all potential at the minute, with another player who is only potential. You’ll have to spend big on a player that’s pretty much the finished product. I think we’ll struggle to do all of that with that money tbh.

If it was guaranteed that selling Gordon would mean we’d improve then I’d jump on it in a second but I think it’s a big gamble.

I don’t envy those who may have to make this decision, that’s for sure!

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I think if we can play it right and get Gallagher and/or Broja involved in the deal it's all good; a straight sale not so much.

Neither one would be permanent, only a loan I would imagine. I’m not sure that’s such a good deal for us. Do we even need Gallagher now anyway? I suppose we do if we can’t get Gana done but loaning doesn’t sit well with me.

9 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I think if we can play it right and get Gallagher and/or Broja involved in the deal it's all good; a straight sale not so much.

This for me… not long ago, I’d have said Gordon is the only player I wouldn’t sell but I’m confident Thelwell and Lampard know what they’re doing and we may have learnt from previous mistakes… seeing Barkley and/or Bashtuayi in any deal would soon kill that confidence!!!

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Neither one would be permanent, only a loan I would imagine. I’m not sure that’s such a good deal for us. Do we even need Gallagher now anyway? I suppose we do if we can’t get Gana done but loaning doesn’t sit well with me.

Maybe Broja on a perm and Gallagher loan with option. Maybe, and more likely, separate deals to the Gordon deal anyway.

I’m still expecting Gilmour’s name to pop up somewhere.

7 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Maybe Broja on a perm and Gallagher loan with option. Maybe, and more likely, separate deals to the Gordon deal anyway.

I’m still expecting Gilmour’s name to pop up somewhere.

No chance Chelsea are giving us £40m+ and Broja permanently surely?

I’d probably take that deal like (and Gallagher on loan) but I don’t see it. If they involve players I don’t think they’ll be players we should entertain. 

Is he worth £40m now based on what we have seen the last 12 months? No. 

Could he be worth that or more in a season or two's time? Maybe. 

I think this season will be huge for him. He either does step forward and proves that valuation to be right (or low) or he struggles and probably ends up playing from the bench a lot of the time by the end of the season. 

Tough one.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Totally agree with this: Gordon for Gallagher and Broja. I'm sure, given Lampard's knowledge of Chelsea players, we're negotiating right now for a couple of their top prospects.

Can't argue that we are not being offered decent enough money.

I think it has to hinge on what any fee will allow us to bring in.

It sounds like MGW is being talked about in the £35-£40 bracket.  So this seems to be the value these days of promising youngster. 

Who knows the ins and outs with FFP, and how a £40m sale effects how much we can spend this window.  If we got a lions share this window, might allow us to spend more than £40m.

Will be hard to replaced Gordon's passion for putting on a blue shirt.

A while ago I would have said no chance.  My frustration with him so far this season is he seems to have gotten a bit big for his boots, nothing definite to go on but something a little bit niggly in the sense that against Chelsea he ducked challenges, he went down holding his face yesterday from an arm across the neck… if he actually held his neck then it would have been something the ref may have looked at, in the end the ref probably thought “piss off”.

there seems to be clubs where he has flagged up highly on the scouting hit lists. 

6 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Totally agree with this: Gordon for Gallagher and Broja. I'm sure, given Lampard's knowledge of Chelsea players, we're negotiating right now for a couple of their top prospects.

I can’t imagine they would ever entertain this. Is Gordon even a better prospect than Gallagher?

Just now, Hafnia said:

A while ago I would have said no chance.  My frustration with him so far this season is he seems to have gotten a bit big for his boots, nothing definite to go on but something a little bit niggly in the sense that against Chelsea he ducked challenges, he went down holding his face yesterday from an arm across the neck… if he actually held his neck then it would have been something the ref may have looked at, in the end the ref probably thought “piss off”.

there seems to be clubs where he has flagged up highly on the scouting hit lists. 

He’s always gone done easily and with exaggeration from what I’ve seen. The rest I suppose you can chalk up to being out of position. He certainly doesn’t seem to have the physicality to play up top