IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

53 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

If his head has been turned and money and CL being dangled, he's off. If rumours are true it seems we are playing hardball - good to see if so.

If we don’t sell for that price I would think it has a little more to do with finding a replacement this window.

51 minutes ago, Bill said:

Efc officially reject Chelsea's latest £40 / 45m  offer.

yep. My guess is that we will try and get an extra £15m, get the hard cash near £60m and get Broja for a loan and option to buy so our ffp is strong.

let’s be clear,  we are selling the family silver to right the wrongs of spending extortionate amounts on shite and piss poor managers. 

4 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

If we don’t sell for that price I would think it has a little more to do with finding a replacement this window.

I have done an about turn on this. In a very very short space of time the lad seems to have gone different in his behaviour.  The daft hair and wacky gear, the theatrics on the pitch, liking fan posts on twitter that are debates over his performances, ducking out of challenges.  Just seems to be a bit affected shall we say. 

if we can get a good deal for him and sign terrier for a 1/3 of his fee and get forwards in then I’m ok with it…. I think, but I would have wanted cornet if I’m honest. 

32 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I have done an about turn on this. In a very very short space of time the lad seems to have gone different in his behaviour.  The daft hair and wacky gear, the theatrics on the pitch, liking fan posts on twitter that are debates over his performances, ducking out of challenges.  Just seems to be a bit affected shall we say. 

if we can get a good deal for him and sign terrier for a 1/3 of his fee and get forwards in then I’m ok with it…. I think, but I would have wanted cornet if I’m honest. 

The reality is there are many players at Gordon’s current level. The number that make it to being 50m+ type players is just a fraction of those. He has promise, no doubt, but the odds of that being very good business for us are pretty high imo. Given our financial situation and that replacements would likely be better than he is currently I’d be happy to sell.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/chelsea/transfer-talk/feature/why-everyone-loses-out-if-gordon-leaves-everton-for-chelsea_492381.html?newsnow

This article rings true. We will be without a player that starts most weeks, and he almost embodies what we should be trying to do as a club - a local, young academy player in the first team improving year on year.  

Chelsea will spend a lot of money on a player who is unlikely to make there starting 11 any better, and Gordon goes from week in week out starter to bit part player at best. He potentially becomes the next Ross Barkley - who has ended up spent the peak years of his footballing career on a bench or worst or being touted around on loan.

It is a sad sad maker of where football is these days - the financial power to those who have simply been fortunate to get in the 'top 6' monopoly when it really counted means they can simply steam roller the rest of us season after season.  The likes of Everton, West Ham, Leicester or whoever can only get a sniff if and when one or two of the big 6 have an off season - then they simply go out and spend £150-£200M without any sort of financial worry!  

We simply can't turn down £50M bid, and Chelsea et al all know. 

12 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/chelsea/transfer-talk/feature/why-everyone-loses-out-if-gordon-leaves-everton-for-chelsea_492381.html?newsnow

This article rings true. We will be without a player that starts most weeks, and he almost embodies what we should be trying to do as a club - a local, young academy player in the first team improving year on year.  

Chelsea will spend a lot of money on a player who is unlikely to make there starting 11 any better, and Gordon goes from week in week out starter to bit part player at best. He potentially becomes the next Ross Barkley - who has ended up spent the peak years of his footballing career on a bench or worst or being touted around on loan.

It is a sad sad maker of where football is these days - the financial power to those who have simply been fortunate to get in the 'top 6' monopoly when it really counted means they can simply steam roller the rest of us season after season.  The likes of Everton, West Ham, Leicester or whoever can only get a sniff if and when one or two of the big 6 have an off season - then they simply go out and spend £150-£200M without any sort of financial worry!  

We simply can't turn down £50M bid, and Chelsea et al all know. 

Agree here though Barkley was farther advanced in his career (and went for far less). Shows you how rare it is to get a consistent 50m valued footballer. 

9 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Agree here though Barkley was farther advanced in his career (and went for far less). Shows you how rare it is to get a consistent 50m valued footballer. 

more the fact that its a decent chance he would spend more of his contract on the bench. Where as at Everton - he plays. 

Just now, RuffRob said:

more the fact that its a decent chance he would spend more of his contract on the bench. Where as at Everton - he plays. 

Yeah this doesn’t make much sense for Gordon right now in terms of his development. Maybe he thinks he’s walking into Chelsea’s starting 11 for some reason but that isn’t the case. He could get this deal in a year or two if he progresses for us and play far more football in the meantime.

I don't really understand why this would be a good move for either the club or the player, for many of the reasons already stated by others. However, what worries me is once these things get out into the media the outcome tends to be the player leaving. It's kind of a no smoke without fire scenario.  

14 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Yeah this doesn’t make much sense for Gordon right now in terms of his development. Maybe he thinks he’s walking into Chelsea’s starting 11 for some reason but that isn’t the case. He could get this deal in a year or two if he progresses for us and play far more football in the meantime.

If he goes and we get £50M in, then I don't really care if he makes it or not once he's not Everton - In fact, seeing him then not 'make it' sadly then make us fans feel better about the whole thing. 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Maybe he has less between the ears than we think like a certain someone who went in the same direction.

His effort levels at the tail end of last season set the standard for the rest of the team. If memory serves he got numerous MoM votes on here. In no way is he the finished article; to what level he can climb is open for debate, but there is definitely some potential there. I think he'd make a lot more progress in the next year or two staying here and having a team built around his strengths. My understanding is that Lampard wants him to stay and wants him to be be a key part of the team going forward. For me, he's the kind of player we should be trying to hang on to. Being a regular starter in a developing team is surely gonna give him much more on-field experience and development then being a small fish in a big Chelsea pond. He's still only 21, he's still got plenty of time for that big money move. At his age and stage of development being a regular starter - which he will be for us - and in a team which is most probably gonna be set up to play to his advantages (as long as we get some more strikers in), and clocking up minutes on the pitch, is invaluable. 

I hope he stays, for him and for us, but having said that, if he wants to go, and they pay the money, then good luck to him.

However, I can't see us replacing him easily.

Still maintain that 40 mil plus is bonkers money for him and we should rinse them for more and sell. Crazy that we could get more than we did for Richi.

Hard to see him playing much but Tuchel does like a grafter and I wonder if that’s why they want him.

Anyone had a look on the Chelsea forums to see what they are saying? They must be bemused.

48 minutes ago, Wall Writer said:

His effort levels at the tail end of last season set the standard for the rest of the team. If memory serves he got numerous MoM votes on here. In no way is he the finished article; to what level he can climb is open for debate, but there is definitely some potential there. I think he'd make a lot more progress in the next year or two staying here and having a team built around his strengths. My understanding is that Lampard wants him to stay and wants him to be be a key part of the team going forward. For me, he's the kind of player we should be trying to hang on to. Being a regular starter in a developing team is surely gonna give him much more on-field experience and development then being a small fish in a big Chelsea pond. He's still only 21, he's still got plenty of time for that big money move. At his age and stage of development being a regular starter - which he will be for us - and in a team which is most probably gonna be set up to play to his advantages (as long as we get some more strikers in), and clocking up minutes on the pitch, is invaluable. 

I hope he stays, for him and for us, but having said that, if he wants to go, and they pay the money, then good luck to him.

However, I can't see us replacing him easily.

For all his promise, right now he’s not very productive. He is also not a great defensive or hold up player at this point. He might be more exciting than a lot of players we might bring in but I don’t think it would be difficult to find that production. 

23 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He will be more productive with time, he can see passes and make runs that others cant.

As for a hold up player, that is not his game, that's why we need DCL and another striker for.

He will probably improve with time. But once we start talking about 45m+ that’s a very good player. Might take years for him to get there, if ever. For a guy who isn’t that great defensively and doesn’t cross it that well or hold it up he needs a lot of end product 

47 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He will be more productive with time, he can see passes and make runs that others cant.

As for a hold up player, that is not his game, that's why we need DCL and another striker for.

He most definitely isnt, he’s a winger, maybe he’s not happy at being put in as CF for the last two games ( big error from Frank there IMO)  and think he’s being pissed about. If so maybe he’s not the team player we all thought he was. As a winger, currently his end product is way off, crossing and goals, he’s been getting away with that due to his enthusiasm which hasn’t been there this season until he’s gone out on the wing.

If the deal offered gets to over £45m I don’t think we can afford to not take it atm, as long as we have a replacement lined up plus others to strengthen.

I appreciate that football is a game of opinions, some of the pinion that Gordon has the potential to be a top player, others doubt this, thats fine.

Chelsea seem to think he will be and have backed this up with a £45 million pound bid, Pep is allegedly impressed by Gordon. 

Let that sink in for a while.

Just now, London Blue said:

I appreciate that football is a game of opinions, some of the pinion that Gordon has the potential to be a top player, others doubt this, thats fine.

Chelsea seem to think he will be and have backed this up with a £45 million pound bid, Pep is allegedly impressed by Gordon. 

Let that sink in for a while.

Yeah, £45m is a lot of money that we need to immediately fix the squad. Unfortunately, that's the situation we're in and that has to take priority.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yeah, £45m is a lot of money that we need to immediately fix the squad. Unfortunately, that's the situation we're in and that has to take priority.

If we could get 3 or 4 good young (ish) players on permanent deals from the Gordon money and what we have already the yes pull the trigger. If we cant and we can sign 2 good players and keep Gordon then keep him.

This whole situation makes me despise our owner and board even more.

I’m not sold on Gordon or overly convinced he’ll be a brilliant player, he’s definitely only potential at the moment. If not for the gross mismanagement of those in charge he’d be allowed the time and space to grow here to see if he could be the player some believe he will be.

Instead, it looks like we’ll be selling him in order to bring other players into the side despite already bringing in £60m for Richarlison. This mess is on them and they should be ashamed of what they’ve done to this club.

I’m pretty worried about where goals and creativity are going to come from this season. We may not have lost a lot of goals with Richarlison going but they were important goals. And I’d expect Gordon’s assist and goals output to improve this season with more experience in the tank. We’ve not brought any goals or creativity into the side. I’m not convinced by McNeil at all - he’s been poor in both games so far and needs to improve massively.

It’s going to be a big couple of weeks for Thelwell and Lampard.