IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

3 hours ago, StevO said:

Barkley said he was a forward, that’s not necessarily a striker. He played on the right of a front three many times for Koeman. He just didn’t see himself as a midfielder, probably with most of his strengths being attack minded.

Walcott spent most of his youth as a striker, he went to Arsenal hoping to follow in Henry’s footsteps and become a striker there. It just didn’t work out that way and he’s become accustomed to being a winger. 
Probably in a similar way to Gareth Bale always being a left back, before things changed and he got the opportunity to try something different and excelled at it. 

So when Barkley plays 3 times as a forward and the rest as a mid, it’s ok to call him a forward.  But when Gordon plays every match so far in the first team as a winger it’s not ok to call him a winger?  The logic of that is baffling

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

So when Barkley plays 3 times as a forward and the rest as a mid, it’s ok to call him a forward.  But when Gordon plays every match so far in the first team as a winger it’s not ok to call him a winger?  The logic of that is baffling

I think what there getting at is if you play in a wide position in the MF doesn’t mean you are a natural winger. When he plays there you don’t see him taking on the RB to get to the line to put a cross in, he’s like Pienaar when he played there he wasn’t a winger, they try to link up with the LB so they can get to line, or they cut in and drive towards the middle of the area. 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

He’s been playing on the left and right of midfield but he hasn’t been playing as a winger. 

On 19/07/2020 at 21:30, markjazzbassist said:

Ross Barkley considered himself a striker. Walcott for years at arsenal said he was a center forward.  Yet another reason to trust the manager and not the footballers

There's a quote, a number of posts back, from Carlo saying that; he did well on the left, could be a midfielder, and thinks he'd be good in the #10.  Unsworth has also said he thought he should be a #9.

10 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

There's a quote, a number of posts back, from Carlo saying that; he did well on the left, could be a midfielder, and thinks he'd be good in the #10.  Unsworth has also said he thought he should be a #9.

Hopefully he doesn't become a victim of versatility. Get him in and settle - then coach some more roles into him. Fantastic talent regardless. 

11 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

he is a thin little thing, not much bigger than bernard.  if he plays anywhere in the middle he will get bullied all day long.  left or right wing the only place he stands a chance.  

No one saw the work he was putting in over the lockdown? He basically went on an army camp and built his muscle up massively from where he was at previously.

This is a kid that knows he needs to work on that aspect, so I'm sure he'll be putting even more into that over the short off season and into pre-season. He's not going to be a huge lad in terms of strength but I think some of you are doing him a disservice.

I want to see him in a position where he can showcase his talents, and that involves making things happen and trying things. He can do a job out wide (that's not as a winger), and I'm sure we'll see him there again when the tactics call for it and to give him game time, but he's a player that wants to impact on the game and he'll do that from a more central position.

13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

No one saw the work he was putting in over the lockdown? He basically went on an army camp and built his muscle up massively from where he was at previously.

This is a kid that knows he needs to work on that aspect, so I'm sure he'll be putting even more into that over the short off season and into pre-season. He's not going to be a huge lad in terms of strength but I think some of you are doing him a disservice.

I want to see him in a position where he can showcase his talents, and that involves making things happen and trying things. He can do a job out wide (that's not as a winger), and I'm sure we'll see him there again when the tactics call for it and to give him game time, but he's a player that wants to impact on the game and he'll do that from a more central position.

Reading above, I was about to post the same thing... he was so dedicated over lockdown and has reaped the reward since with much more game time. Well deserved and to be fair, he looks as good, if not better, than any other midfielder we have currently.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/1800951/teenager-gordon-explains-how-he-can-excite-evertonians

I love his mindset. I also really appreciate that he knows he's got to deliver as an attacking player and doesn't shy away from it.

He definitely has a great attitude. Hopefully this season he can kick on.

Interesting comments about Ferguson too.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

A decent league cup run would do him good, getting first team matches every week for a few weeks.

I'd like to see him get onto the bench and get some game time like he did last season.

(Nothing to do with me putting him in as the cheapy in my fantasy football team!)

I did notice him not tracking runs a couple of times defensively. If you’re gonna not gonna be great in that area of the game you’d better be real dangerous going forward. Can’t wait to see him in 2-3 years if he can work on his weak points. 

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Good to see him doing his job of creating once he came on tonight by adding another assist to his tally. Now I'm just hoping for a goal from him soon.

Likewise. It seems like he’s desperate to get his first on the board for the club after missing some close chances last week.

Fingers crossed he can start impressing enough on the training field to earn his spot back on the  bench in league games too. 

It was good to see him do well off the bench and add the quality he has been missing in some of his games. 

He needs to do that when he gets the chance in the big league now. 

It is good to see that he is clearly better than League 1 and 2 players. If he plays and does well against West Ham he will prove he is better than Championship players too ;)

43 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It was good to see him do well off the bench and add the quality he has been missing in some of his games. 

He needs to do that when he gets the chance in the big league now. 

It is good to see that he is clearly better than League 1 and 2 players. If he plays and does well against West Ham he will prove he is better than Championship players too ;)

For me he’s been dangerous whenever he’s gotten an opportunity. What he currently lacks is a defensive awareness and a bit of size imo. I think the quality is there.

• 1 month later...