IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

I feel his chat with Rafa has done him a world of good. He does have ability, he has decent pace, and he can make a difference.

His problem has always been motivation. Talks a good talk, but doesn’t transfer that onto the pitch. Rafa spoke about talking to him and explaining that he needs to work hard non stop in training and work on his off the ball football. It seems to have worked.

If he can get that motivation… no, desire, then he could be a fantastic player for us.

On 12/11/2021 at 03:34, Shukes said:

I feel his chat with Rafa has done him a world of good. He does have ability, he has decent pace, and he can make a difference.

His problem has always been motivation. Talks a good talk, but doesn’t transfer that onto the pitch. Rafa spoke about talking to him and explaining that he needs to work hard non stop in training and work on his off the ball football. It seems to have worked.

If he can get that motivation… no, desire, then he could be a fantastic player for us.

He has a bit of scrap in him. I think he is more finding his feet at a much higher level. Has all the core attributes required to be a good player, really hope it clicks for him as he seems like a good person as well. 

Also from last night - I’m well and truly on the Connor Gallagher band wagon. He was good at Swansea, stood out at a poor West Brom and now looks a top player at Palace. Chelsea have been criticised regarding their player loans/youth policy for years but actually, is there another academy churning out as much quality?

Off the top of my head:

GK???

Rb: James, Lamptey, Livramento

Lb???

Cb: Christiensen, Ake, Tomori, Guehi, Chalobah, Ampadu

Cm: Loftus-Cheek, Mount, Gallagher, Gilmour

Att: Hudson-Odoi

Str: Abraham, Solanke, (chap at Southampton)

There’ll be loads I’ve missed but there’s so much quality there.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I appreciated his effort and at least he had the willingness to attack, but his end product was nowhere to be seen.

I can cope with that better than an attacking player not even having a go though because sometimes you're just off it and things don't work.

I honestly don’t think he was played right mate.

He doesn’t have a left foot. Cut Inside every time. And we’re not the team to be coming inside and sliding passes in. We need to fight for our chances, get to line and put balls into the box.

He didn’t give much away and managed to take the first man on every time. But imagine doing that and looking up to see your team mates watching you to see what happens next.

We need our players to be demanding the ball, looking for it all the time. But instead they pass it on and think that’s job done.

This is as bad as when James was asked to do defensive work!

What bugs me is why he carried on cutting inside.

Either he was told to carry on doing it by Rafa, or, no one had the nouse to tell him to stop doing it and try something else.

Either way it’s piss poor.

Even in my piss poor just for fun Wednesday afternoon kickabouts, you’d get telt for doing that over and over again.

1 hour ago, badaids said:

Either he was told to carry on doing it by Rafa, or, no one had the nouse to tell him to stop doing it and try something else.

Even in my piss poor just for fun Wednesday afternoon kickabouts, you’d get telt for doing that over and over again.

Probably just can’t cross a ball with his left foot. 

2 hours ago, badaids said:

Every left winger we have had cuts in and leaves Digne to go down the wing and cross the ball, but for some reason when it comes inside Digne is ignored, even though he is free outside the ball very rarely goes back to him.

Despite the issue of him being quite predictable I'd like to say he does look composed at times on the ball, his weight of pass seems quite good and his pace can cause some problems if he gets some space. I've felt in the past he sometimes liked to play it safe as he doesn't want to lose the ball, however he seems to be growing in confidence (or at least he did I'm not sure how he will react to the fans all telling the players to fuck off when they went over after the Brentford game - Gordon looked devastated and had to be ushered away by Coleman).

I've enjoyed seeing him have a run of games and will hope he develops. He has some natural quality that's for sure.

I'm absolutely baffled by people that think he has pace. I don't think I've seen him race past anyone even once yet. In fact, against Brentford he tried the Kilbane and Coleman trick of smacking the ball miles ahead of him and past the opposition player and was easily beaten to reaching the ball first.

I wouldn't say he's slow but he's certainly not pacy.

23 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm absolutely baffled by people that think he has pace. I don't think I've seen him race past anyone even once yet. In fact, against Brentford he tried the Kilbane and Coleman trick of smacking the ball miles ahead of him and past the opposition player and was easily beaten to reaching the ball first.

I wouldn't say he's slow but he's certainly not pacy.

Looks a quick lad to me when he opens his legs. Hasn't got a lightening turn of pace but when he strides he's quick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Shock dismay 😩 I think I’ll look for a tall building to jump off, this surely can’t be right 8-9 first team players praising Benitez😉

Were you really expecting them to come out and publicly pot him?  Even Digne hasn't done that and look what internal disagreement got him.

That said, not surprising at all that Gordon (for 1) would be reasonably positive.  Career's just starting to take off, getting game time, good manager attention, and visibly growing.

Doesn't mean that Benitez is the right manager for us but he's what we've got...

4 minutes ago, DownUnderToff said:

Were you really expecting them to come out and publicly pot him?  Even Digne hasn't done that and look what internal disagreement got him.

That said, not surprising at all that Gordon (for 1) would be reasonably positive.  Career's just starting to take off, getting game time, good manager attention, and visibly growing.

Doesn't mean that Benitez is the right manager for us but he's what we've got...

No if they didn’t rate him I would expect them to keep their integrity and say nothing instead of lying. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

No if they didn’t rate him I would expect them to keep their integrity and say nothing instead of lying. 

Imagine them being stood in front of the clubs own media team and refuse to comment on the manager. Come on, be realistic. Every player we’ve ever had has praised every manager they have played for. Footballers aren’t allowed to talk honestly, they are media trained for a reason. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Imagine them being stood in front of the clubs own media team and refuse to comment on the manager. Come on, be realistic. Every player we’ve ever had has praised every manager they have played for. Footballers aren’t allowed to talk honestly, they are media trained for a reason. 

I never had you down as a conspiracy theorist, Steve players aren’t forced to lie about their managers. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

He may have said more but from all that's quoted in the article...

On his own maturing:

“The manager has played a big role in that. He is very demanding. He would never let me relax or get too far ahead of myself - he is constantly on me to improve and I’m thankful for that because I share that mentality and it's great to have that pressure.”

On the team being higher up/competing:

“The manager's record speaks for itself and he's come here to win more. I’d love to be part of a winning team here."

Hardly effusive praise or requiring the player to lie.