IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The marketing team is doing its job.

So the marketing team required Richarlison to blow smoke up Ancelotti’s arse last week then I suppose, that was a wonderful marketing ploy get a player to over praise a manager who not long ago shit on the club, do me a favour Steve a player will not publicly condemn a current manager even if he despises that manager and wants to leave, not because the club have stopped him the club have no control on his social media sites, but because the player knows that would put other teams and managers off so would only potentially harm his own career. And I agree that clubs will have some form of policy on interviews such as when and who with, but they won’t be forcing players to say that the manager is wonderful if they believe he isn’t and don’t agree with his methods. 

I know a couple of lads on Villa’s books at the moment. Without a doubt the clubs co tell their social media. 

Not directly by vetting everything the write, but there are strict guidelines what you are allowed to put down and what you aren’t. They can easily have their contracts ended if they don’t follow those rules.

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

I never had you down as a conspiracy theorist, Steve players aren’t forced to lie about their managers. 

Im not saying players are forced to lie, I’m saying they arent going to stand in front of the media and say they don’t like the manager. If asked a question of course they will speak positively or it may cost them their place in the team. 
If you believe everything the players say to the media then that’s fine, but a little naive in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

So the marketing team required Richarlison to blow smoke up Ancelotti’s arse last week then I suppose, that was a wonderful marketing ploy get a player to over praise a manager who not long ago shit on the club, do me a favour Steve a player will not publicly condemn a current manager even if he despises that manager and wants to leave, not because the club have stopped him the club have no control on his social media sites, but because the player knows that would put other teams and managers off so would only potentially harm his own career. And I agree that clubs will have some form of policy on interviews such as when and who with, but they won’t be forcing players to say that the manager is wonderful if they believe he isn’t and don’t agree with his methods. 

I've been a VP of marketing. Press releases always quote the CEO, for example, who apparently sings the praises of some event or other. Do you think the CEO ever says such a thing? Of course not! It's wholly written by the marketing team. It's going to be no different for football teams, which are also business entities. The value of a brand actually appears on a company's financial results, so it's carefully cultivated.

36 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I've been a VP of marketing. Press releases always quote the CEO, for example, who apparently sings the praises of some event or other. Do you think the CEO ever says such a thing? Of course not! It's wholly written by the marketing team. It's going to be no different for football teams, which are also business entities. The value of a brand actually appears on a company's financial results, so it's carefully cultivated.

I fucking shake my head in disbelief how ridiculous that you use the publicity arm of a company and the promotion of the company by it’s CEO as a comparison to whether a player would be forced to say he liked his manager or his style if he didn’t, honestly mate you need to take a few deep breath’s and get some perspective back. Players will be told no negativity or aspersions against the club but they won’t be told you have to praise the manager when they don’t, in fact if they thought there was any ill feelings between a player and a manager they wouldn’t allow the player to take part in any official interview, as why we haven’t officially heard from Digne, if we followed your beliefs he would be thrust in front of the media and told to say he thinks Benitez is a great manager and tactically knowledgeable who I enjoy playing for, so why aren’t we seeing this?

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I fucking shake my head in disbelief how ridiculous that you use the publicity arm of a company and the promotion of the company by it’s CEO as a comparison to whether a player would be forced to say he liked his manager or his style if he didn’t, honestly mate you need to take a few deep breath’s and get some perspective back. Players will be told no negativity or aspersions against the club but they won’t be told you have to praise the manager when they don’t, in fact if they thought there was any ill feelings between a player and a manager they wouldn’t allow the player to take part in any official interview, as why we haven’t officially heard from Digne, if we followed your beliefs he would be thrust in front of the media and told to say he thinks Benitez is a great manager and tactically knowledgeable who I enjoy playing for, so why aren’t we seeing this? 

For some stories quoted in the media, I wonder whether the player even knows what he's supposed to have said until it's released to the press. It's all image-building.

The guy might think Benitez is that best thing since sliced bread, but a press article stating this can't be taken as proof.

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

So what are they supposed to say to questions like "how as Rafa impacted on your performance?"? Say "no comment"? That creates a whole new level of shitshow.

Steve is spot on with his comparison, it happens in all big companies, popular employees trotted out by the media team to "sell" something, especially something that's potentially contentious. Shake your head all you like, it's just a fact of big business. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

So what are they supposed to say to questions like "how as Rafa impacted on your performance?"?  Steve is spot on with his comparison, it happens in all big companies, popular employees trotted out by the media team to "sell" something, especially something that's potentially contentious. Shake your head all you like, it's just a fact of big business. 

So answer the question why haven’t they trotted Digne out to publicly say he has no issues with Benitez, to enhance the image of the business as a happy ship. 

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Because its quite clear that the ship isn't happy and it would be dismissed as a blatant lie?

Exactly Matt they don’t get players to lie, but 8-9 players have come out to express their happy working with Benitez, but there all lying 🤥 because they’ve been told what to say, well I believe Richarlison, Doucoure, Allan, Townsend, Gray, Gordon, Godfrey and Rondon are happy playing for Benitez and haven’t been directed by the club to say so, you mention big businesses do you believe Everton as a big business would keep a manager who never had the backing of the players, yet would trot those players out to lie and bring their integrity and standards into question, they wouldn’t do that don’t underestimate play power these multi multi millionaires won’t be dictated to In that way. 

6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Exactly Matt they don’t get players to lie, but 8-9 players have come out to express their happy working with Benitez, but there all lying 🤥 because they’ve been told what to say, well I believe Richarlison, Doucoure, Allan, Townsend, Gray, Gordon, Godfrey and Rondon are happy playing for Benitez and haven’t been directed by the club to say so, you mention big businesses do you believe Everton as a big business would keep a manager who never had the backing of the players, yet would trot those players out to lie and bring their integrity and standards into question, they wouldn’t do that don’t underestimate play power these multi multi millionaires won’t be dictated to In that way. 

No one is saying they are being forced to say one thing or another, but they certainly won’t be saying anything negative and then the club publish it. The club aren’t going to put an unhappy player in front of the camera and ask him what’s going on. They are in the business of promoting positivity about the club and will do so. Look through the news archives on the Everton website. You won’t find one negative article as far back as you go, because that’s not what they are there for. 

Think if it this way @Palfy you run your own business, if one of your staff did some shoddy work you wouldn’t go and speak to the local newspaper or post it on Facebook would you? But maybe if you had someone work for you for ten years you might celebrate that being a bit of good news? Exactly the same. Talk up the positive, cover up the negative. 

9 minutes ago, StevO said:

You clearly don’t grasp the idea of what anyone is saying. 

Bollocks mate, I posted after the Gordon story about how he feels about Benitez saying that’s 8-9 who have come out and praised Benitez, for then to be told the club forced them to say it so they must be liars. But obviously you know best not one of them meant what they said. So what don’t I grasp the straw man lecture on corporate businesses, this isn’t about that it’s about whether you believe those players have lied about Benitez because they were told to or whether they were truthful in what they said. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

Bollocks mate, I posted after the Gordon story about how he feels about Benitez saying that’s 8-9 who have come out and praised Benitez, for then to be told the club forced them to say it so they must be liars. But obviously you know best not one of them meant what they said. So what don’t I grasp the straw man lecture on corporate businesses, this isn’t about that it’s about whether you believe those players have lied about Benitez because they were told to or whether they were truthful in what they said. 

I’m out. Got a brick wall outside I can bang my head on instead. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Players will be told no negativity or aspersions against the club but they won’t be told you have to praise the manager when they don’t, in fact if they thought there was any ill feelings between a player and a manager they wouldn’t allow the player to take part in any official interview

There you go Steve pretty much what you said 

51 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I don't really know how to respond to all that especially when I'm in a bad mood. So I'll stop here. 

I have aimed a fair bit of criticism at him since he came on the scene and whilst he did still lack for quality the sheer effort and workrate was outstanding. 

I don't remember a young lad standing up and staking his claim like that for a long time. He didn't stop trying to make things happen. 

28 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

“He was really polite. On the picture it looked really confrontational but it wasn’t.

“It was just more him asking questions and expressing his frustrations.”

When people were losing their minds over it this is what I thought it was. Happy to see Gordon set the record straight on that.

20 hours ago, c1982 said:

Love this quote… ‘I didn’t want to walk away and leave him because the fans are the club.’

This lad is class 💙

Agree. He's right up there with DCL, Richi and Seamus in genuinely respecting fans. I know there are many others as EITC is embedded in club culture. One thing that makes me proud of the club.

• 3 weeks later...

Much better than Townsend and is always looking to go forward. 

I keep making comments on Gray holding onto the ball too long,  I lost count today of how many opportunities he had to cross into the box but tried to beat one more man then lose the chance he is so fooking frustrating.