IGNORED

Ellis Simms

If we didn't already know this, tonight's performance simply highlighted he's not Premiership level in any way, shape or form.

Our academy is pretty bear of attacking talent as well. 

We have DCL or pretty much nothing upfront.

We don't have a winger or midfielder we could use as an auxiliary striker as cover either. 

It's going to be tough to stay up with such a lack of goal scorers or any sort of attacking threat in the team. 

The bench is just so weak. It not like we have a massive injury list and are waiting on players to return either, DCL is out and we have nothing else

It doesn't matter which way you look, I just don't see a way out of this. 

37 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

If we didn't already know this, tonight's performance simply highlighted he's not Premiership level in any way, shape or form.

We don't have a winger or midfielder we could use as an auxiliary striker as cover either. 

It's going to be tough to stay up with such a lack of goal scorers or any sort of attacking threat in the team. 

The bench is just so weak. It not like we have a massive injury list and are waiting on players to return either, DCL is out and we have nothing else

Shhh, it's a good thing that we did the square root of fuck all in January.

2 hours ago, RuffRob said:

This is what’s going to hurt us. We don’t have anyone who can come on and change a game. We can make five subs, but who comes on? 

8 hours ago, RPG said:

I think the only thing we might try while DCL is injured is 4-4-2 with both Simms and Maupay together up front. Simms as the target man and Maupay feeding off the knockdowns. It's probably the least bad option I can think of to give us a goal threat without DCL.

My only concern with this is you then have to leave another player out - to field two below average frontline players. 

I think we have seen this week that the midfield with five in still blows a bit hot and cold. Onana was amazing against Arsenal, but not great against Liverpool last night.  This inconsistency is going to happen in such a young lad.

Its going to be tough putting a competitive 11 most weeks, and our bench is desperate (its not even like we have a massive injury list). I have said since the beginning of the season the 5 sub rule has put us at a massive disadvantage. 

I still think not bringing in a couple of player in January will ultimately cost us our place in the Premiership this season.

2 hours ago, StevO said:

For a lad of his size he’s not very strong. Looked a bit lost out there, I felt sorry for him. Just needed to rough them up a bit. 

This is why I said Btay wanting someone that would bully their defenders so would play Simms was an oxymoron.

I don't think he's good enough in any way, shape or form but he's certainly not a lone striker. Play him in a two (preferably coming off the bench, rather than starting) or don't play him at all.

Its early days for him, being thrown in for such a big occasion.

This just shows the difference in the leagues though. Fans wanted Gyokeres and lad from Blackburn but how much better are they really going to be in this system?

I don't expect a lot for him, but I think there is more than he was able to show last night, though for someone with such a good goal scoring record he looks a bit slow to react.

10 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I still think not bringing in a couple of player in January will ultimately cost us our place in the Premiership this season.

100% agree, add another one or two injuries to go with DCL and we are sunk, we can always bring Gomes and Deli back from their loans, we seriously may need them.  

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Blooding him in with off the bench performances is best for him and us. Either he shows promise or we've put him in the window for the summer. 

Surely that’s the way every young player gets game time, bringing him back and expecting him to lead the team week in week out is rather optimistic.

27 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Surely that’s the way every young player gets game time, bringing him back and expecting him to lead the team week in week out is rather optimistic.

Ideally yeah. Throwing him into the derby to lead the line was foolish but also understandable considering the lack of options. 

For me he has more than enough potential to prove his worth in this team, still think it was a massive mistake sending him out on loan at the beginning of the season with all our problems upfront. Can't help wondering how much further he would be advanced if he had been around from the beginning of the season, Thelwell and Lampard on this one need to hold their hands up and admit they got it wrong, and maybe in hindsight for Lampard if he made a different decision he might still be here. 

Just now, Palfy said:

For me he has more than enough potential to prove his worth in this team, still think it was a massive mistake sending him out on loan at the beginning of the season with all our problems upfront. Can't help wondering how much further he would be advanced if he had been around from the beginning of the season, Thelwell and Lampard on this one need to hold their hands up and admit they got it wrong, and maybe in hindsight for Lampard if he made a different decision he might still be here. 

You should've mentioned it:huh:

9 hours ago, Shukes said:

You saw a big difference in his attitude as well. He was sprinting back after losing the ball early on. He chased all the way back into our half. 
I thought he was pressing better and being a right nuisance. 

Big difference in the mentality of coming on knowing you have 10 minutes compared to trying to pace yourself for a possible 90!

• 4 weeks later...

I've said many times I don't believe he's PL quality but if he shows more like he did for his goal I'll be more than happy to change my mind on that score.

The way he left Koulibaly for dead was quality, and then to keep his composure to take the shot on? Lovely!

The keeper should have done better with the actual shot but I've lost count of the amount of times I've thought "just fucking shoot, see what happens!" only for our player to shirk the responsibility and the opportunity is wasted. He saw what happened - GOAL!