IGNORED

Ellis Simms

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Yep, but the point still remains - a prem level striker can get 43 goals in the championship.  World class strikers playing for the likes of Man City do well to get 30 in the prem. 

look at the likes of David nugent, billy sharp, absolutely smashed it in that league.  I’m not discounting it, but take yesterday… a 37 year old centre half was able to nullify young fast skilful lads by intelligent positioning.   The premier league is a whole different level. If you manage to get in a position to score you have world class keepers to beat. 

I’ve had my eye on him and would love to see him play, looks an exciting player but got to be realistic. 

Exactly this. Players like Thiago are a mile ahead in terms of reading the game, and most teams have players who can do that. 

I really hope Simms smashes it and comes back ready for the first team. 
I see it as every loan he’s had has been a step up from the last, and each time he’s done it well. If he scores a load of goals this season he’ll get a chance next season. 

He won’t develop sitting on our bench like he would playing every week for Sunderland. It’s a brilliant loan move for him. Big club, big crowd, number nine shirt, pressure! If he handles that it will help him in the long term for his career, hopefully with us but if not it’s good for him. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Yep, but the point still remains - a prem level striker can get 43 goals in the championship.  World class strikers playing for the likes of Man City do well to get 30 in the prem. 

look at the likes of David nugent, billy sharp, absolutely smashed it in that league.  I’m not discounting it, but take yesterday… a 37 year old centre half was able to nullify young fast skilful lads by intelligent positioning.   The premier league is a whole different level. If you manage to get in a position to score you have world class keepers to beat. 

I’ve had my eye on him and would love to see him play, looks an exciting player but got to be realistic. 

Keeping at the club as 2nd or 3rd striker is more than realistic when you look at the alternatives, or was yesterday’s shite show up front more realistic. 

13 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Keeping at the club as 2nd or 3rd striker is more than realistic when you look at the alternatives, or was yesterday’s shite show up front more realistic. 

He won’t get any better sitting on the bench for a year though will he? We know we’ll bring in another striker and then he’ll be fourth choice. That don’t improve him as a player. 

Just now, StevO said:

He won’t get any better sitting on the bench for a year though will he? We know we’ll bring in another striker and then he’ll be fourth choice. That don’t improve him as a player. 

He would have played from the start yesterday and probably been the difference to take the chances presented to Gordon and Dele, and if he had been here and converted one of those chances he wouldn’t have been sat on the bench for a year, he would have been playing for the next few weeks minimum. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Moore managed it on his debut in the PL for Bournemouth, on your assessment of how difficult it is for championship players to score and beat the superior keepers of the PL that shouldn’t have happened, but he did and that’s because if you have the natural ability to get in the right place at the right time and can hit the target you will always have a chance of scoring no matter what the league, also Bournemouth with their championship keeper and defender’s shut the PL strikers of Villa out, you have to give players a proper run of opportunities before for you dismiss their abilities, Frank hasn’t given Simms that yet he’s not ready based on what how he train’s, Lampard will looking at what he did yesterday, and admitting to himself I could have done with him.  

41 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Moore managed it on his debut in the PL for Bournemouth, on your assessment of how difficult it is for championship players to score and beat the superior keepers of the PL that shouldn’t have happened, but he did and that’s because if you have the natural ability to get in the right place at the right time and can hit the target you will always have a chance of scoring no matter what the league, also Bournemouth with their championship keeper and defender’s shut the PL strikers of Villa out, you have to give players a proper run of opportunities before for you dismiss their abilities, Frank hasn’t given Simms that yet he’s not ready based on what how he train’s, Lampard will looking at what he did yesterday, and admitting to himself I could have done with him.  

He won't.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

He would have played from the start yesterday and probably been the difference to take the chances presented to Gordon and Dele, and if he had been here and converted one of those chances he wouldn’t have been sat on the bench for a year, he would have been playing for the next few weeks minimum. 

There is a lot of if’s there. I’ll add a few more; if we would have kept him until now he may not have got a loan deal to a good club like Sunderland. If we kept him and then got someone else in who the staff rate higher he may not even have got on our bench. If he played yesterday he may have had a stinker and missed the chances you talked about anyway. 
The professionals at the club are there for a reason, can only trust they’ve made the best decision for the long term benefit of the club and player. Not just for one game because Rondon was banned. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

He’s not gonna develop though mate if he doesn’t get competitive footy, how many players have gone to pot because of stagnation in under 23s and being 3rd choice? The reality is that if he was even remotely close to being good enough he would play. 

id love to see simms and dobbin I really would but the people who put their reputation on the line don’t think he’s ready. Leon Osman is a great example, the loan to derby really set him up for his career with us. 

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

So you would say he still isn’t good enough to be the number 3 or he’s still not good enough to challenge Rondon, Jesus open your eyes scoring goals isn’t down to the standard of the keepers, it’s about getting in the right areas and hitting the target 🎯 and he’s a natural at doing that, and why he scores where ever he goes, and let’s be very honest the championship isn’t a mugs league for strikers I think Mitrovic proved that against the shite yesterday. Now fuck off and enjoy your trip looking at windmills 😂

Haha the windmills are pretty cool.

Ive watched him quote a bit that’s all. I really thought he was going to be the real deal, and up till now… I’ve been underwhelmed. He has been scoring goals i grant that.

But City let him go. Everton don’t trust him. There could … possibly… be a reason for that.

But back on point… what should I be trying over here?

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

He’s not gonna develop though mate if he doesn’t get competitive footy, how many players have gone to pot because of stagnation in under 23s and being 3rd choice? The reality is that if he was even remotely close to being good enough he would play. 

id love to see simms and dobbin I really would but the people who put their reputation on the line don’t think he’s ready. Leon Osman is a great example, the loan to derby really set him up for his career with us. 

I agree but I believe his loan to Hearts really set him up he scored some cracking goals there, and his first game in the Championship proved he gets goals where ever he goes, I’ve said for months he deserves his chance and for me yesterday was another example that I feel proved it. 

To top this off there is a huge risk to young players mentally if they get pushed in against top players and struggle. Self doubt can kick in.  Yeah of course he could have nicked a goal but nah, those two defenders would have had him in their back pocket.  There’s levels, physically I’ve no doubts about him but let’s see how he does at Sunderland, I’m expecting 2 forwards this week. 

2 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Haha the windmills are pretty cool.

Ive watched him quote a bit that’s all. I really thought he was going to be the real deal, and up till now… I’ve been underwhelmed. He has been scoring goals i grant that.

But City let him go. Everton don’t trust him. There could … possibly… be a reason for that.

But back on point… what should I be trying over here?

What part of Holland are you in and more to the point who are you with before I start giving holiday rep advice. 

Those goals yesterday…. Pickford just bends down and picks them up. 

He has scored some cracking goals though. I remember one for Blackpool in particular that was a fantastic goal.

I just think he needs this loan. He wouldn't have cut it this year for me.

Lets face it… Palfy has his back and that usually spells disaster for players 😉

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

What part of Holland are you in and more to the point who are you with before I start giving holiday rep advice. 

Haha family mate. Missus and kids.

Were not far from Amsterdam. Eurocamp called Duinrell. Going for Ajax stadium tour Monday. 

3 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Haha family mate. Missus and kids.

Were not far from Amsterdam. Eurocamp called Duinrell. Going for Ajax stadium tour Monday. 

Nice enjoy mate, the Dutch are are so friendly really chilled out like yourself. As your with the family stick to windmill spotting Dyke jumping and Canal boat trips 😂

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

Those goals yesterday…. Pickford just bends down and picks them up. 

He has scored some cracking goals though. I remember one for Blackpool in particular that was a fantastic goal.

I just think he needs this loan. He wouldn't have cut it this year for me.

Lets face it… Palfy has his back and that usually spells disaster for players 😉

The first one, I thought I was watching a slow motion replay at first. When I realised it wasn’t I was very confused about how that goalie has got a professional contract. 😂

I can see where Palfy is coming from.

Rondon suspended for the first few games - we only have DCL as our striker and he got injured before we even kick a ball. I’m all for Simms getting a loan but we should have kept him here for the first few games as coverage at minimum or we should have signed that third striker and then let him go.

As Haf mentioned he may be a bit raw but I have no doubt if he came on and he would have relished the physicality of it as it’s his game.

I don’t think he’s a viable option for consecutive games starting but 15/20 mins at the end chasing a goal, I’d have no issue seeing him come on.

8 hours ago, Btay said:

I can see where Palfy is coming from.

Rondon suspended for the first few games - we only have DCL as our striker and he got injured before we even kick a ball. I’m all for Simms getting a loan but we should have kept him here for the first few games as coverage at minimum or we should have signed that third striker and then let him go.

As Haf mentioned he may be a bit raw but I have no doubt if he came on and he would have relished the physicality of it as it’s his game.

I don’t think he’s a viable option for consecutive games starting but 15/20 mins at the end chasing a goal, I’d have no issue seeing him come on.

Rondon is back for Villa, so one game.

I'm not even sure he's a good target man any longer going on his past "performances" for us but at least it'll make sense us launching the ball forward. Whereas the amount of times we did it on Saturday made zero sense.

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Rondon is back for Villa, so one game.

I'm not even sure he's a good target man any longer going on his past "performances" for us but at least it'll make sense us launching the ball forward. Whereas the amount of times we did it on Saturday made zero sense.

But we haven’t even got a back up for Rondon, if he should get a compound injury because he touches the ball more than 3 times we are back to square one, when we sold Richarlison we should not have let Simms go out on loan, not because he should be the number one striker but because it left us with lately an injury prone DCL and a past his sell by date Rondon, if we get another striker in before the close of the window and he hasn’t made an impact then let him go out on loan, but if we can’t get a striker in before the window closes at least we would have had some sort of option, and who knows he may have done for us what he did for Sunderland 1st game of the season. 

24 minutes ago, Palfy said:

But we haven’t even got a back up for Rondon, if he should get a compound injury because he touches the ball more than 3 times we are back to square one, when we sold Richarlison we should not have let Simms go out on loan, not because he should be the number one striker but because it left us with lately an injury prone DCL and a past his sell by date Rondon, if we get another striker in before the close of the window and he hasn’t made an impact then let him go out on loan, but if we can’t get a striker in before the window closes at least we would have had some sort of option, and who knows he may have done for us what he did for Sunderland 1st game of the season. 

Well we can’t plan for DCL to get hurt before the season when a Rondon is also unavailable. Just a fluke situation. We were always bringing in a striker to be the 2nd or competition to DCL, making Rondon the 3rd choice. Which is plenty for a team that has greater concerns and has to be pragmatic. Just one of those things. 

2 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Well we can’t plan for DCL to get hurt before the season when a Rondon is also unavailable. Just a fluke situation. We were always bringing in a striker to be the 2nd or competition to DCL, making Rondon the 3rd choice. Which is plenty for a team that has greater concerns and has to be pragmatic. Just one of those things. 

Fair enough but where is the striker, wouldn’t the sensible thing be to get the striker in before you let Simms go out on loan you need 3 forwards that much we can I hope all agree on. For me a huge mistake to let him go when we did, and that’s not being said in hindsight I was saying that weeks and weeks ago. Another Everton cluster fuck.  

A seasons loan is what is best of Simms and what is best for Everton in the longer run.

It's always if's and but's, could now also say we shouldn't have sent Branthwaithe on loans as we have lost two CB in the last game. A opportunity came for Simms to go to a decent size club with a strong following - I think it will do him the world of good there. A real chance for him to develop.

Ellis Simms is just not yet ready to make much of a difference to our season. I don't think Lampard would have started him in any case over a senior player - simply because he's a striker. 

If anything hindsight wise, might have been better to have had Alli on from the start. But then again one decent pass from Grey and Gordon would have been through and we could have won the game 1-0. We could have  easily been lauding what a master stroke in having Gordon as the front man was. It was a tight game all around. 

If anything not having Simms about to just stick on the pitch as a 'striker' gives Lampard more ammunition to put pressure on the board to find some money to bring in a bona fida back up striker. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Fair enough but where is the striker, wouldn’t the sensible thing be to get the striker in before you let Simms go out on loan you need 3 forwards that much we can I hope all agree on. For me a huge mistake to let him go when we did, and that’s not being said in hindsight I was saying that weeks and weeks ago. Another Everton cluster fuck.  

We’ve missed on like 5 strikers in a row. I imagine that getting the right guy is more important then expediency. Again though, we would have assumed that DCL could stay healthy until we brought in some help. Not unreasonable as it’s only likely to be a couple games before that happens. And for what it’s worth we do have Rondon. Just a worse case scenario thing.

I agree with others that longterm Simms needs to have a high level loan and being on our bench isn’t the best thing for him or us. A good loan and he will be in the mix for us next year