IGNORED

Ellis Simms

I know it’s been mentioned previously that while he’s a natural finisher he lacks a  bit in the other skills necessary to be a well rounded striker. Perhaps the thought is to keep him here where we can really work on his development instead of sending him on loan where they won’t care as much about that. My vote is probably to do that and  keep him here for the remainder, have the coaches really hammer home some of those DCL qualities then send him out next year and see what he’s got against better competition. 

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

that argument works in Zoo's favor too.  Kenny was a nothing before he went to Schalke.  After that loan they wanted to buy him, previous to it he had no such interest.  so had we cashed in it would have benefitted us (still might).

It does if you talk about value but not if you talk about development. Has Kenny come back and shown more than he did when he left? Not really.

FWIW I am not disagreeing with Zoo, I think it must be a huge step in a young players personal development and I am sure Kenny has grown as a man as a result and I think more players would benefit from taking that risk. It just hasn't really helped the one player we have sent that way to become a better footballer! 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

It does if you talk about value but not if you talk about development. Has Kenny come back and shown more than he did when he left? Not really.

FWIW I am not disagreeing with Zoo, I think it must be a huge step in a young players personal development and I am sure Kenny has grown as a man as a result and I think more players would benefit from taking that risk. It just hasn't really helped the one player we have sent that way to become a better footballer! 

you're asking the wrong guy, kenny has always been a nothing for me (i know some on here rated him).

He needs this badly. Watched him last night  in the mini derby. 
At times he looks strong and a nuisance, but lacks that composure when gets chances at the moment. Should have scored two at least. 

Seemed to have worked on his work rate a bit though, did well fighting for the ball up top, but still holds the ball like a school fence at the moment.

Cant wait to see how he does at senior level, this could really make him.

The goals from last night if anyone wants to watch, Ellis' goals are around 1:38 & 1:50. Both of them really poor defending, but good determination to get to the ball for the first one and a nice tap-in for the second. 

Should hopefully give him the confidence and a spring in his step to do it against more difficult opponents with the obvious goal to do it on a regular basis in the Premier League. 

2 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

The goals from last night if anyone wants to watch, Ellis' goals are around 1:38 & 1:50. Both of them really poor defending, but good determination to get to the ball for the first one and a nice tap-in for the second. 

Should hopefully give him the confidence and a spring in his step to do it against more difficult opponents with the obvious goal to do it on a regular basis in the Premier League. 

Can defending be poor if it’s non-existent?

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

thanks zoo.  his heading game is good, hope to see some more with his feet next time.

we've had first team players miss wide open goals like that before, it's nice to see him put away shots that should be put away.

In fairness, though, a scarecrow could have scored that final goal: Simms didn't head it as much as stand still and let the ball bounce off his head, the defending was that poor.

23 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

In fairness, though, a scarecrow could have scored that final goal: Simms didn't head it as much as stand still and let the ball bounce off his head, the defending was that poor.

You’re right of course but some of that is down to his physical attributes. He’s gonna be able to hold position in the box well and that will result in some goals like that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...