IGNORED

Ellis Simms

With that goal we've already seen him do something DCL has never done, and probably never will, and that's score from outside the area.

I still don't think he'll make it here but I hope we have a good look at him in the pre-season games and maybe the first couple of league games. If he looks like he can offer something then keep him at least until January, and if not then loan him out again and look to sell him the summer after if he's had another good loan spell.

36 minutes ago, Btay said:

There’s been some big lumps have pretty successful careers in the prem that offer less than him.

Pace, power, movement and looks a very good finisher. I would hope we have a role for him next season in the first team.

I hope so, I have been watching him a lot since he arrived and would love to see him make it here. Lots of players have been late bloomers and he could offer us something completely different than we have.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

Ye Palf….. maths may not be your strong point mate… but I’m an absolute genius.

Its 3 each 😉

My math is good enough mate, as most things in my life I also recognise quality from the average, and Simms goals exuded so much more quality than 2 pens and a tap in, regardless of what league they were scored in. The ability required to hit the back of the net from 18 yards with pace and precision is the same at all levels. 

8 hours ago, Shukes said:

I mean some perspective here haha. 
Simms Scottish prem = 3 goals.

Dom premier league = 3 goals.

Bloody hope he finds it a lot easier in the prem, or we’re looking in the wrong direction haha.

I've been reading game reports each week, and Simms is often the player of the match. His contributions are more than simply goals.

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I've been reading game reports each week, and Simms is often the player of the match. His contributions are more than simply goals.

I agree mate. Just having a laugh at another dog at Dom that’s all. I swear if Pickford makes a good save it will be on here that Dom wouldn’t have saved it.

Just to easy to go fishing haha.

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

My math is good enough mate, as most things in my life I also recognise quality from the average, and Simms goals exuded so much more quality than 2 pens and a tap in, regardless of what league they were scored in. The ability required to hit the back of the net from 18 yards with pace and precision is the same at all levels. 

If you think Simms is quality compared to Dom, then I am sorry Palf, but I have to question. 

Lets just see how many times Simms hits the back of the bet in the premier league with pace and precision. Once he starts doing it regularly…. I’ll hold my hand up and say I was completely  wrong. 

But Frank is a bright guy. I’m 100% sure if he feels Simms is good enough for the premier league, he will bring him back. If he does… I’ll trust his judgment and back the lad 100%

Its about Everton, not me being proven right. If Simms comes good for us, then it’s a win! If Dom comes good for us, then it’s a win!

Let’s be honest 

when Lukaku was the Billy big bollocks striker in the side who people used to think could stroll through games cos he was our best finisher - I was fully up for dropping him to play Dom.  Not because Dom was better but because Dom would run through a brick wall to claim his chance which would light a fire under Lukakus arse. 

when Lukaku left - Dom was that player.  Not a goal scorer but a throwback to hard working number 9s who grafted for the side and we did well because he got us up the pitch by winning free kicks. Forced defenders to put balls out for throws etc.  He forged a solid reputation for himself through that. Then when ancelotti gave him a goal hangers role his reputation exceeded his output.   He has not gone back to the hardworking player and as a team we aren’t strong enough to give him tap ins. 

Ellis Simms can already do one thing that DCL can’t and never will be able to do.  Strike a ball properly with venom. Simms reminds me of Yakubu, same build and no nonsense ball striking. 

if we had simms and we hooked dcl for him…. I bet you we would see the dcl that ran through brick walls again. 

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

Must have had an off day, as you wouldn’t have found much quality in the defending watching the Edinburgh derby the other day. 😂

How can the ability to his the back of the net from 18 yards be the same at all levels? That doesn’t take into account the ability of the goal keeper. 

1 minute ago, StevO said:

Must have had an off day, as you wouldn’t have found much quality in the defending watching the Edinburgh derby the other day. 😂

How can the ability to his the back of the net from 18 yards be the same at all levels? That doesn’t take into account the ability of the goal keeper. 

No goalkeeper is saving that Steve. 

not many strikers can actually hit a controlled drive like that either.  That’s like yakubu, jimmy floyd, shearer power.  Look at his leg extension through the ball,  sheer power. 

27 minutes ago, Shukes said:

If you think Simms is quality compared to Dom, then I am sorry Palf, but I have to question. 

Lets just see how many times Simms hits the back of the bet in the premier league with pace and precision. Once he starts doing it regularly…. I’ll hold my hand up and say I was completely  wrong. 

But Frank is a bright guy. I’m 100% sure if he feels Simms is good enough for the premier league, he will bring him back. If he does… I’ll trust his judgment and back the lad 100%

Its about Everton, not me being proven right. If Simms comes good for us, then it’s a win! If Dom comes good for us, then it’s a win!

Wouldn’t mind seeing both Dom and Simms. Can’t think of many centre halves pairings that would relish their strength & speed.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

It’s the quality of the strike that matters not the league or the keeper, as I believe no keeper in any league is getting to that.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

No goalkeeper is saving that Steve. 

not many strikers can actually hit a controlled drive like that either.  That’s like yakubu, jimmy floyd, shearer power.  Look at his leg extension through the ball,  sheer power. 

Well you don’t know that do you. No doubt it’s a great hit, but keeper reads it early, or takes a fortunate step to his left before he hits it, and he has a chance. Not playing down it being a great strike, but the goal keeper has to always have a chance. 

Just now, Palfy said:

It’s the quality of the strike that matters not the league or the keeper, as I believe no keeper in any league is getting to that.

Again, what if the keeper is standing towards that side of the goal, or even takes a gamble and moves early. It happens. 
But that’s not what you said, you said “The ability required to hit the back of the net from 18 yards with pace and precision is the same at all levels”

I just don’t see how the quality of the goal keeper isn’t taken into account. The ability to strike the ball yes, but to hit the back of the net, there are more variables as it’s not an open goal. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I think Simms has qualities in his game that we have never seen in Dom’s game, but I can’t discuss with someone who lately is using the argument that Frank is a clever guy and I trust Frank, like you hang on every word and decision he makes, for me that’s a cop out. If I was the manager of any team and DCL was playing as he is now, and Simms as he is I know who I’d want right now in the team, and that would be Simms, and you know what I bet Lampard must feel the same way, but that’s in hindsight and everything is easier to see in hindsight, but by god I bet he wasn’t expecting to a DCL like he’s got, and for that matter even a Dele like we’ve got, good managers fuck up occasionally without doubt and only Lambs follow them without questioning them, well it is Easter 🐣 please don’t eat to much chocolate mate it will make you sick😂

47 minutes ago, StevO said:

Again, what if the keeper is standing towards that side of the goal, or even takes a gamble and moves early. It happens. 
But that’s not what you said, you said “The ability required to hit the back of the net from 18 yards with pace and precision is the same at all levels”

I just don’t see how the quality of the goal keeper isn’t taken into account. The ability to strike the ball yes, but to hit the back of the net, there are more variables as it’s not an open goal. 

The keeper if you watch it is in a perfect position Simms could go anyway with that shot, if the keeper goes a yard to Simms right, then Simms will have gone to the left and a pretty much open goal, the keeper was set in a good position but was beaten by the accuracy and speed of the shot, in my book that is a quality strike no matter who from and in what league, I fail to see how it could be bettered, bar the fact it should have been in a Everton shirt. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Well you don’t know that do you. No doubt it’s a great hit, but keeper reads it early, or takes a fortunate step to his left before he hits it, and he has a chance. Not playing down it being a great strike, but the goal keeper has to always have a chance. 

He hits the ball at least 60mph into a corner and you think a keeper is saving it? If a keeper gets a hand to that he’s got very little chance of keeping it out. That ball has stayed hit. 

you say “you don’t know that”   Like keepers in the prem keep those efforts out all the time. No keeper is getting to that and if they do it’s save of the season. 

19 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

you say “you don’t know that”   Like keepers in the prem keep those efforts out all the time. No keeper is getting to that and if they do it’s save of the season. 

Really :lol:? It would be a good save if he would have kept it out no doubt, but he's hit it from distance and the goalkeeper has a clear view of it. You'd expect goalkeepers in the elite bracket to deal with that, you wouldn't see that goal scored in the latter stages of the Champions League for example. 

I'll be honest in this discussion I'm straight down the middle. It's a fantastic strike no doubt, and the power he achieves on the ball is quite stunning but whilst I do believe that to be the case I don't think it's the goal of the season strike that some are painting it as, he wouldn't get that much time or space in the Premier League and it's my opinion that Premier League goalkeepers of a good standard (i.e. - playing for the European teams) would be able to deal with that.

In terms of the overall development of Simms, it's only a good thing that he's doing well with Hearts (and has done well with Blackpool). It seems like we might have a decent striker on our hands, who probably isn't ready to fill the gap that DCL would leave should he depart, but could certainly get there.

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Really :lol:? It would be a good save if he would have kept it out no doubt, but he's hit it from distance and the goalkeeper has a clear view of it. You'd expect goalkeepers in the elite bracket to deal with that, you wouldn't see that goal scored in the latter stages of the Champions League for example. 

I'll be honest in this discussion I'm straight down the middle. It's a fantastic strike no doubt, and the power he achieves on the ball is quite stunning but whilst I do believe that to be the case I don't think it's the goal of the season strike that some are painting it as, he wouldn't get that much time or space in the Premier League and it's my opinion that Premier League goalkeepers of a good standard (i.e. - playing for the European teams) would be able to deal with that.

In terms of the overall development of Simms, it's only a good thing that he's doing well with Hearts (and has done well with Blackpool). It seems like we might have a decent striker on our hands, who probably isn't ready to fill the gap that DCL would leave should he depart, but could certainly get there.

he’s hit that pure. No spin at all on the ball and for a keeper to get a full extended diving arm on it, it’s not getting saved unless the keeper is seriously strong.

The only way that’s getting saved is if the keeper is in the way with arms in front. 

Fuck me, the need to protect dcl is strong in here isn’t it?

take dcl out the equation….. this lad can hit a football. Trust me. If that was haarland who hit that the reaction would be far different. 

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I’m not having ago at what you are saying a lot of it makes good sense, but in DCL last 12 games for us and Simms last 12 for Hearts I struggle to see a gap in the quality of their play, other than Simms out performing DCL.The first 6-7 months of last season DCL was sublime showed real quality and only a fool would try and deny it, but players can’t live on the past if they are still playing they will be judged on the now and that is only fair and right. 
I genuinely believe that first half season under Ancelotti was a magical moment in Dom’s career, Ancelotti coached him well and more importantly James, Richarlison, and Doucoure played well and to the strengths Ancelotti in stilled in him which was to get into the 6 yard  box and knock the crosses in, that’s not happening now the ball’s aren’t coming in as regularly, yet that can’t be the excuse for his approach to games of late good players adapt and find away, they don’t give up and appear to sulk when things aren’t going your way to try harder to make the change and earn that bit of luck, I don’t see that with DCL and that should be the mantra for everything you do in life. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

I think Simms has qualities in his game that we have never seen in Dom’s game, but I can’t discuss with someone who lately is using the argument that Frank is a clever guy and I trust Frank, like you hang on every word and decision he makes, for me that’s a cop out. If I was the manager of any team and DCL was playing as he is now, and Simms as he is I know who I’d want right now in the team, and that would be Simms, and you know what I bet Lampard must feel the same way, but that’s in hindsight and everything is easier to see in hindsight, but by god I bet he wasn’t expecting to a DCL like he’s got, and for that matter even a Dele like we’ve got, good managers fuck up occasionally without doubt and only Lambs follow them without questioning them, well it is Easter 🐣 please don’t eat to much chocolate mate it will make you sick😂

I don’t mate, I just use the same as others do on here and bark back a bit when it seems because Dom isn’t scoring goals he just constantly gets slated on every thread. 
Gomes had a bad game…. Dom had worse! 
Seamus isn’t the same player…. Cares more than Dom though!

Simms scores a goal for Hearts in the Scottish league, wish we had him rather than Dom 🙄 

The reason I comment about the manager knowing more than us is that he likely does. He watches these players train, talks to them, and knows what makes them tick. 

Im gonna go and have a chilled red mate! I’ll say cheers to you buddy 🙂