IGNORED

Marco Silva

53 minutes ago, StevO said:

Just because YOU don’t see the difference in the tactics, that doesn’t mean it’s not there, just that you’ve not seen it. 

I've said I can't see it and you've offered no evidence that there is. Feel free to enlighten me. 

51 minutes ago, StevO said:

You are not realistic. 

36 minutes ago, nogs said:

Name one manager who we could realistically expect to attract who would have had us challenging top 6 this season? Our squad is threadbare, we have nearly a full team out on loan because most of them aren't good enough, the players who have come in have ended up doing great but it is not enough to fix the shit show that was last season. 

Aside from that, you are an absolute hypocrite for blaming the manager for every poor result but refusing to give him any credit when we win. 

It's not unrealistic expect a team that adds 5 first team players that are all much much better than their previous players to kick on and get more points. Digne instead of a leggy Baines and a misfit Martina. Zouma over a leggy Williams and Jagielka. Bernard and Richarlison, two Brazilian Internationals over a kid striker on the wing in DCL or Bolasie coming back from an injury. Gomes over a leggy Rooney playing out of position. 

If Alladyce was given the chance with this team it's logical to expect him to have gotten closer to the top 6 considering what he managed with the unbalanced team. Surely given a more balanced team with better players he'd have done better. 

How's it hypocritical? You can only beat what's in front of you and the teams we beat was more down to them than us. You never called me hypocritical when I said the same last season. 

Arsenal were missing both of their CMs. Even Cardiff were missing their best players. Man u were playing on a hangover, Matic even come out apologising as he should have closed down Sigurdssen. That goal was a great strike but in most games would have been blocked. The reason it wasn't blocked was because United were poor, not because of Sigurdssen's skill or Silva's management. 

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

His job is to get us top 7, mingling with the top 6. The gap is just as big as last year. 

The team last year was dreadful. I'd expect the team with 5 extra starters to be bettering last year's by more than that and close the gap. 

And we will, eventually. These things take time. Imagine if Klopp was sacked after his 1st season finishing 8th.

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

I've said I can't see it and you've offered no evidence that there is. Feel free to enlighten me. 

It's not unrealistic expect a team that adds 5 first team players that are all much much better than their previous players to kick on and get more points. Digne instead of a leggy Baines and a misfit Martina. Zouma over a leggy Williams and Jagielka. Bernard and Richarlison, two Brazilian Internationals over a kid striker on the wing in DCL or Bolasie coming back from an injury. Gomes over a leggy Rooney playing out of position. 

If Alladyce was given the chance with this team it's logical to expect him to have gotten closer to the top 6 considering what he managed with the unbalanced team. Surely given a more balanced team with better players he'd have done better. 

How's it hypocritical? You can only beat what's in front of you and the teams we beat was more down to them than us. You never called me hypocritical when I said the same last season. 

Arsenal were missing both of their CMs. Even Cardiff were missing their best players. Man u were playing on a hangover, Matic even come out apologising as he should have closed down Sigurdssen. That goal was a great strike but in most games would have been blocked. The reason it wasn't blocked was because United were poor, not because of Sigurdssen's skill or Silva's management. 

Allardyce effectively had a 4 player boost when he took over..... Baines and Coleman returning after being out and he spent over £50m on Walcott and Tosun....

He helped us to finish slightly higher than we were when he inherited/bought £90m worth of extra first team talent.....

Shite manager, shite brand of football, horrible fat mouth

You were wrong about Silva, wrong about Keane, wrong about gana..... and yeah apparently Steve Gerrard had a crap shot on him. 

Pete u seriously think fat twat Sam would have signed anyone of the five players we bought? No fucking chance. He would have bought Wiltshire and aload of other shite that he knew from his old jolly ups because he doesn’t actually do much scouting etc. That’s why he has such a number of backroom people because he’s fucking too lazy to do it himself. Silva is trying to build something and I have been critical of him this season but he has won me back around. I keep referring to the Norwich manager. They did nothing for two seasons under him but he had transfer windows to get the players out and the players in he wanted and they are flying. On today’s standards he should have been sacked ages ago but they kept with and his success is there to see 

17 hours ago, pete0 said:

You must be the only person on here who expects new signings to make an immediate impact, or not to see that changing half the starting XI in one go might require some kind of transition period. You've made the same tired point about new players over and over - half of them arrived unfit, all of them bar Digne have been up and down in form. Again, perfectly normal for new players in a new team under a new manager. 

As for your Allardyce argument - he'd have never played the football we played to beat Manure 4 nil, he'd have set up to get a draw against them, Arsenal and Chelsea. We were awful to watch under him, in my opinion he does not have it in him to play the football that would move any team closer to the top four. His Bolton glory days were on the back of paying off agents to get a better quality of player than he'd ever normally have been able to attract. Funny how he never did the same elsewhere. 

I look forward to you telling us how shit the oppo are as we make a serious tilt at the top 6 next season

14 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think Pete is the only person on the planet who can’t see the improvement ( no surprise there !😜)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/evertons-michael-keane-night-day-14985079

Hard not to improve on last seasons performance. That doesn't mean he's now magically good enough. He's gone from dogshit to below average. He's too nice and too slow. 

What teams in the league would swap their starting RCB for him? 

3 hours ago, nogs said:

You must be the only person on here who expects new signings to make an immediate impact, or not to see that changing half the starting XI in one go might require some kind of transition period. You've made the same tired point about new players over and over - half of them arrived unfit, all of them bar Digne have been up and down in form. Again, perfectly normal for new players in a new team under a new manager. 

As for your Allardyce argument - he'd have never played the football we played to beat Manure 4 nil, he'd have set up to get a draw against them, Arsenal and Chelsea. We were awful to watch under him, in my opinion he does not have it in him to play the football that would move any team closer to the top four. His Bolton glory days were on the back of paying off agents to get a better quality of player than he'd ever normally have been able to attract. Funny how he never did the same elsewhere. 

I look forward to you telling us how shit the oppo are as we make a serious tilt at the top 6 next season

The new signings have made an immediate impact. Digne and Zouma have been our most consistent performers and Richarlison our joint top scorer. Gomes has come in and gelled straight away as well. Mina hasn't played much but the results have been fine with him in the team even if he does look a bit dodgy. Only Bernard has needed time to adjust but even if he hasn't been scoring he's formed a good partnership to get the best out of Digne. 

Would you swap any of them for the player on their respective positions last year? 

So all the players that come in have been an instant improvement. The players are not only better, they have performed better than who we had there last year. That means the issue is either players who are still in the squad from last season, the manager, or a mix of both. Personally I feel the spine is too weak Keane, Gana, and Gylfi and the manager isn'tt doing enough. 

Alladyce has a 20% win rate against them mostly with Bolton and West Ham. Last season he come in and done the best you could with the squad. Personally I'd rather Vlasic and Besic/Baningime got more minutes and Rooney be up top but other than that there wasn't much else you could do with the squad inherited from Koeman/Walsh. Alladyce also addressed the positions we needed. 

Most the clubs after Bolton, and including Bolton, have done no better since he left. So he's been their best recent manager in that respect. So he must be better than a lot of managers who haven't been able to do what he did at those clubs. Only club you could argue he should have done better is Newcastle but even Newcastle fans will say with hindsight that sacked him too early. 

Pete you're just wrong mate. Richarlison was garbage for a couple of months, Zouma looked a walking mistake at first, Gomes started doing a very good Schneiderlin impression after a promising start then picked up again. Your point about would I swap them from anyone last season is irrelevant because I'm not arguing they arent improvements, I'm making a very simple point that new players, new teams and new managers take time to get to their best. I've made that point in the past on another thread and you just carried on with the same 'we should be better than we are' line. Fine, think that. But the reasons you give dont stack up. 

All Pete is demonstrating is that it doesn't matter whether you speak or think a load of nonsense..... at the end of the day you are entitled to hold that view.

What other people however are entitled to do though.... is judge your intelligence/credibility  based on those views.  

5 hours ago, pete0 said:

Personally I'd rather Vlasic and Besic/Baningime got more minutes and Rooney be up top but other than that there wasn't much else you could do with the squad inherited from Koeman/Walsh. Alladyce also addressed the positions we needed. 

Exactly why you’ve not got a clue. 

At the start of the season, I accepted that this season was going to be more about learning than anything else. We had a lot of new players, staff and manager.

The early season form gave me a lot of optimism and that made it hurt a lot more when had a real dip in form. 

Now I have had time to step back, I have realised I enjoy watching us again. I think we are capable of beating teams again. 

If you asked me at the start of season if I would accept a top 8 position, I would have said yes, as I understood we were rebuilding.

Perspective.

5 minutes ago, Shukes said:

At the start of the season, I accepted that this season was going to be more about learning than anything else. We had a lot of new players, staff and manager.

The early season form gave me a lot of optimism and that made it hurt a lot more when had a real dip in form. 

Now I have had time to step back, I have realised I enjoy watching us again. I think we are capable of beating teams again. 

If you asked me at the start of season if I would accept a top 8 position, I would have said yes, as I understood we were rebuilding.

Perspective.

I'm loving the games at Goodison, it's become a fortress, let's keep it that way and learn how to break down teams when we're away.

15 hours ago, StevO said:

http://www.skysports.com/share/11709572

small changes says Marco. 17 points from the last ten games, only City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Leicester have taken more. 

Closest thing he gets to naming a difference is the atmosphere at the ground. So they only change is they played a siren. 

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Keane - Fundamental in a defence which has the 4th best clean sheet record in the league, 7th most headed clearences.

Gana - Second in the league for most tackles (by 1)

Gylfi - Our joint highest goal scorer, most assists for the club. 

Just because the goals haven't went in doesn't mean he's not given away chances. He's the weakest link in defence, rarely puts in better game than Zouma. 

We've conceded twice as many as Liverpool. Is their defence twice as good? No. They just don't have a liability like us, or one in midfield for that matter. 

No idea why you reference the tackles stat when you acknowledge it's a double edged sword as he's out of position and a lot are unnecessary and risky as he isn'tt winning the ball back for the team. Sometimes you're better holding position probs best demonstrated by there only being 3 players from the top 6 in the top 20. If anything the stats can be interpreted as he's tackling twice as much as he has to, and I'd argue the other half he'd be better holding position. 

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_tackle

And if he doesn't score or assist you don't know he's been on the pitch. Doesn't get on the ball enough, doesn't help in the build up enough. 

None of your three points address their toughness though which I'd be surprised if you could as I'm saying that lack bite. I feel more confident of us winning the mental battle without them. I wouldn't be confident of any of them coming out best in 50/50s. They don't have that extra like Cahill, Carsley, Barry, Neville etc. 

9 hours ago, nogs said:

Pete you're just wrong mate. Richarlison was garbage for a couple of months, Zouma looked a walking mistake at first, Gomes started doing a very good Schneiderlin impression after a promising start then picked up again. Your point about would I swap them from anyone last season is irrelevant because I'm not arguing they arent improvements, I'm making a very simple point that new players, new teams and new managers take time to get to their best. I've made that point in the past on another thread and you just carried on with the same 'we should be better than we are' line. Fine, think that. But the reasons you give dont stack up. 

Has Zouma been better than Williams and Jagielka was last season? Yes by a mile. Likewise Gomes has than Schneiderlin. All players have dips, point is that like for like the replacements have performed better than their counterparts. So with these players all playing better than the players they replaced that only leaves either/or both the manager and players still playing who started last year. 

4 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

I'm loving the games at Goodison, it's become a fortress, let's keep it that way and learn how to break down teams when we're away.

First half an hour was great today. But we need to play better for a full game, some fans left today with 20 minutes still to go! 

9 hours ago, pete0 said:

First half an hour was great today. But we need to play better for a full game,

I'll buck the trend here and agree with you Pete, we took our foot off the gas after the 2nd goal. There was a period in the 2nd half where we couldn't put two passes together and we looked nervy, at 2 up against a side who only had an aerial threat it looked like we were back in January, but got back on our game for the last 20 mins or so.

13 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

I'll buck the trend here and agree with you Pete, we took our foot off the gas after the 2nd goal. There was a period in the 2nd half where we couldn't put two passes together and we looked nervy, at 2 up against a side who only had an aerial threat it looked like we were back in January, but got back on our game for the last 20 mins or so.

I didn’t think we looked nervy, I think the game was a bit flat and our players lost focus. Shame we couldn’t get that third goal. 

On 03/05/2019 at 12:14, pete0 said:

Hard not to improve on last seasons performance. That doesn't mean he's now magically good enough. He's gone from dogshit to below average. He's too nice and too slow. 

What teams in the league would swap their starting RCB for him? 

The new signings have made an immediate impact. Digne and Zouma have been our most consistent performers and Richarlison our joint top scorer. Gomes has come in and gelled straight away as well. Mina hasn't played much but the results have been fine with him in the team even if he does look a bit dodgy. Only Bernard has needed time to adjust but even if he hasn't been scoring he's formed a good partnership to get the best out of Digne. 

Would you swap any of them for the player on their respective positions last year? 

So all the players that come in have been an instant improvement. The players are not only better, they have performed better than who we had there last year. That means the issue is either players who are still in the squad from last season, the manager, or a mix of both. Personally I feel the spine is too weak Keane, Gana, and Gylfi and the manager isn'ttt doing enough. 

Alladyce has a 20% win rate against them mostly with Bolton and West Ham. Last season he come in and done the best you could with the squad. Personally I'd rather Vlasic and Besic/Baningime got more minutes and Rooney be up top but other than that there wasn't much else you could do with the squad inherited from Koeman/Walsh. Alladyce also addressed the positions we needed. 

Most the clubs after Bolton, and including Bolton, have done no better since he left. So he's been their best recent manager in that respect. So he must be better than a lot of managers who haven't been able to do what he did at those clubs. Only club you could argue he should have done better is Newcastle but even Newcastle fans will say with hindsight that sacked him too early. 

once upon a time I wanted big sam to manage the club  yes I was wrong  I also didn't want silva to manage us  after all who in their right mind would want a Watford reject?     I was wrong then too, he may not be the best manager out there but who else would you know we could attract who  could do better or even as well?