• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've said I can't see it and you've offered no evidence that there is. Feel free to enlighten me.    It's not unrealistic expect a team that adds 5 first team players that are all much m

What I've loved about the last two games (Chelsea and West Ham) is that after the devastating collapse at Newcastle, it would have been so easy for the team to just give up on the season and cruise th

That’s why the strap line is ‘ for the thinking Evertonian‘..., you have to keep thinking what fucking thread am I in?

Posted Images

On 06/10/2019 at 19:37, Shukes said:

I don’t think he’s a number 10. No10s need to be tricky and clever, and able to find gaps through defenders.

Siggy is more a wide player for me. Don’t think he’s better than what we have, but I do think he is more effective when out there. Not as a winger, but a wide option for a compact midfield.

I think he needs to be played deeper. He has the skill to control, pick a pass and work rate to hassle the opposition. He’s hardly on the ball enough as it is, sticking him on the wing would be insane in my opinion 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I think he needs to be played deeper. He has the skill to control, pick a pass and work rate to hassle the opposition. He’s hardly on the ball enough as it is, sticking him on the wing would be insane in my opinion 

I agree.

He plays a deeper role, or on the side of the midfield for Iceland a lot. Wasted as a winger as he doesn’t have the speed or skills.

When I say a wide player, I mean as at the side of a central player, not as a traditional winger type. 

On 09/10/2019 at 14:48, Sibdane said:

The more I think about Rafa the more interested I'm in him as manager.

I'm going to wait until after the West Ham game to before I say we should absolutely sack Marco though.

why would you wait unyil then ?  if g=he loses he is out  if he wins he postpones it until Fahad Moshiri gives him the big elbow 

On 09/10/2019 at 14:48, Sibdane said:

The more I think about Rafa the more interested I'm in him as manager.

I'm going to wait until after the West Ham game to before I say we should absolutely sack Marco though.

I have been thinking about Rafa since the weekend when Newcastle beat Utd and the comments Bruce made. I am not sure how well the football played would go down here and ultimately whether we would ever crack the top 6 under him. He is a tactician but he is quite negative, even at Liverpool. He would be a solidifying appointment but I don't know how long that would last with the fans. 

On 09/10/2019 at 15:09, Matt said:

Whilst I have supported this notion more recently I would be concerned that you then have a midfield of 3 plodders. He gets out of position more than the other so I think you would need him in a 3 compared to a 2.

On the wing he would have loads more space than he has now. He would essentially be the 2019 version of Pienaar. Him and the full back linking up and controlling the play. I could see Kean and DCL up top in a proper 442 with Richarlison on the other wing attacking the back post. The problem will always be the two in central midfield. Gomes and Delph might be OK but I would want some genuine up and down energy. 

I think we also have too many wingers now for this to be a set up now as well.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I have been thinking about Rafa since the weekend when Newcastle beat Utd and the comments Bruce made. I am not sure how well the football played would go down here and ultimately whether we would ever crack the top 6 under him. He is a tactician but he is quite negative, even at Liverpool. He would be a solidifying appointment but I don't know how long that would last with the fans. 

Whilst I have supported this notion more recently I would be concerned that you then have a midfield of 3 plodders. He gets out of position more than the other so I think you would need him in a 3 compared to a 2.

On the wing he would have loads more space than he has now. He would essentially be the 2019 version of Pienaar. Him and the full back linking up and controlling the play. I could see Kean and DCL up top in a proper 442 with Richarlison on the other wing attacking the back post. The problem will always be the two in central midfield. Gomes and Delph might be OK but I would want some genuine up and down energy. 

I think we also have too many wingers now for this to be a set up now as well.

I think if you’re going down that road, I’d prefer 442 with Bernard on the left and Iwobi on the right. They’ve both got close control and work rate if we’re going wit the Pienaar template

He left them in a mess as well. Main success came from the foundations Houllier left plus a massive chunk of luck in Kewell getting injured forcing him to change things and Milan/Shevchenko throwing it away. 

League wise they got away with murder, much like united did, in that referees let them foul or even worse gave them a fk if the opposition won the ball. Those small margins are massive in football, they knock the wind out of you and put the opposition on the front seat. And those small margins you won't get at Everton. 

Newcastle, as poor as they are, only scored more than 2 goals in a match last season once and that was against us, or should I say Marco Silva.

Defensively he deserves plaudits as that Newcastle squad was devoid of premier league quality. But ultimately he's a more defensive version of Sam Allardyce, a Spanish MO'N, with his counter football found out by the end. 

Caretaker job to steady the ship or an advisory position to Unsworth (who strangely is tactically naive when it comes to defending, he played right into Leicester's hands in his breif spell in charge). But wouldn't want him at the mantle long term. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I think if you’re going down that road, I’d prefer 442 with Bernard on the left and Iwobi on the right. They’ve both got close control and work rate if we’re going wit the Pienaar template

Yeh maybe, it would be a bit horses for courses but I would definitely back Siggy to play better quality balls and score more goals than Bernard. 

21 hours ago, RPG said:

Latest is that we are after Erik Ten Hag from Ajax.

Might work but I agree with those who prefer Rafa.

I think he is a very promising manager. Plays the right way, learnt from the best for 2 years and has proven his credentials in a relatively easy league albeit taking over at a tough time doing well in European cup competitions.

The query I would have is how much better would we look now if we had the likes of De Jong and De Light? Hell, we would be a better side if we had Schone in midfield let alone the other two.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I think he is a very promising manager. Plays the right way, learnt from the best for 2 years and has proven his credentials in a relatively easy league albeit taking over at a tough time doing well in European cup competitions.

The query I would have is how much better would we look now if we had the likes of De Jong and De Light? Hell, we would be a better side if we had Schone in midfield let alone the other two.

Can't argue with that.

I'd go with Rafa.

With him we'd be pretty much nailed on to be top six and pushing top four by the time we move to Bramley Moore. 

He's been successful in the UK before and I can look past his previous  indiscretion. (Although if I'd been asked a year ago I wouldn't have been able too).

We've just got to find someone proven and low risk. All these foreign managers have it all to prove over here. I wouldn't take a risk on Mourinho. That would either go great or incredibly bad.

Give Rafa five years. We can sit back and know we'll be in a better place in the end. Boring but we can't go on like this.

9 hours ago, Latchford9 said:

I'd go with Rafa.

With him we'd be pretty much nailed on to be top six and pushing top four by the time we move to Bramley Moore. 

He's been successful in the UK before and I can look past his previous  indiscretion. (Although if I'd been asked a year ago I wouldn't have been able too).

We've just got to find someone proven and low risk. All these foreign managers have it all to prove over here. I wouldn't take a risk on Mourinho. That would either go great or incredibly bad.

Give Rafa five years. We can sit back and know we'll be in a better place in the end. Boring but we can't go on like this.

My thoughts exactly. We have tried the same thing with Martinez, Koeman and Silva and it just isn't working. I think we need someone with a proven track record of success in the Premier League and Rafa fits that requirement better than anyone else I can think of who we could realistically attract.

If we go for the Ajax manager and it fails again we risk becoming a laughing stock.

Had nearly two weeks to really think about this. It's not a clear cut choice. A large part of me recognizes Marco has yet to field the starting XI he would like to with Gbamin, Delph and Gomes all missing significant time. Sure that sounds like an excuse but facts are facts, they're constant in/out of the lineup has unsettled the middle of the pitch. 

Can we afford to wait until they get a run of games together to make a decision?  

Ultimately I've reached the following conclusion. If Everton does not win it's final 3 matches in October I'd like a new manager.

...At the very least i'd hope to never have to see Schneiderlin's name on the team sheet again.

1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Had nearly two weeks to really think about this. It's not a clear cut choice. A large part of me recognizes Marco has yet to field the starting XI he would like to with Gbamin, Delph and Gomes all missing significant time. Sure that sounds like an excuse but facts are facts, they're constant in/out of the lineup has unsettled the middle of the pitch. 

Can we afford to wait until they get a run of games together to make a decision?  

Ultimately I've reached the following conclusion. If Everton does not win it's final 3 matches in October I'd like a new manager.

...At the very least i'd hope to never have to see Schneiderlin's name on the team sheet again.

The team without Gomes, Delph and Gbmain (who is still unproven) should be more than good enough to be placed higher than 18th after 7 games.

No plan B, no consistency in team selection and picking out of form favourites are the reasons in my opinion why we are where we are.

A bit off topic, but I was looking on whoscored yesterday and noticed that we had the 4th most possession in the premier league so far this season, yet we do nothing with that possession. Marco seems to be liked by the players (i think), and he appears to be a good man manager with a forward thinking mind when it comes to style of play, but I'm afraid I just dont think he's much of a tactician.

Im waivering on Marco...Was very happy with his appointment, concerned with last xmas slump but boyed by results during tail end of season. Lets not foget the scalps we had vs top 4 teams yeah!!!! I attribute them to Marco.

But, the concerns are returning again now. WHY CANT WE PERFORM AGAINST TEAMS EXPECTED TO FINISH BOTTOM HALF OF LEAGUE!!!!!!!! This is no 'we are better than them post - we deserve to win', but on paper we are superiror.

I am puzzled by our players mental approach.

I am too, concerned by Marco's 1 striker 2 wide playmaker approach to EVERY game.

I am also thinking Marco has not been able to field 'his' team yet this year - which troubles me.

I think he still needs time to end of season - Christ, Gbamin is out until Feb which when he 1st joined his No. 6 was the key role to his whole formation plans!

4 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

As far as I'm aware we've not directly conceded a goal through the middle unless you count the one from the fk given away from Delph too easily. The middle isn't an issue, it's the tactics. 

13 hours ago, Cisk said:

Im waivering on Marco...Was very happy with his appointment, concerned with last xmas slump but boyed by results during tail end of season. Lets not foget the scalps we had vs top 4 teams yeah!!!! I attribute them to Marco.

But, the concerns are returning again now. WHY CANT WE PERFORM AGAINST TEAMS EXPECTED TO FINISH BOTTOM HALF OF LEAGUE!!!!!!!! This is no 'we are better than them post - we deserve to win', but on paper we are superiror.

I am puzzled by our players mental approach.

I am too, concerned by Marco's 1 striker 2 wide playmaker approach to EVERY game.

I am also thinking Marco has not been able to field 'his' team yet this year - which troubles me.

I think he still needs time to end of season - Christ, Gbamin is out until Feb which when he 1st joined his No. 6 was the key role to his whole formation plans!

A good manager won't hide behind injuries and with a squad like ours, should make the best of what he has.

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

There’s an easy solution to winning. Tell each player they begin each game with 60% of their salary. They secure an additional 20% for each goal scored and lose 20% for each goal conceded. La voila. 

They would still be sitting comfortable on a reduced salary as they earn shit loads. However I do agree a win based salary structure would be better

Please, please, please stick with the team from today!

Bernie should’ve been playing weeks ago. Sigurdsson should’ve been dropped weeks ago. Sidibe earned his spot today, he was great. Same for Walcott and Davies. 

Richarlison showed hes hungry to play as the striker. Leave him there for a run of games and see what happens. 

18 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Please, please, please stick with the team from today!

Bernie should’ve been playing weeks ago. Sigurdsson should’ve been dropped weeks ago. Sidibe earned his spot today, he was great. Same for Walcott and Davies. 

Richarlison showed hes hungry to play as the striker. Leave him there for a run of games and see what happens. 

This.

We have a squad good enough to have competition for places. Players must play on merit, keep this team, they have earn't it.

That is what I want from our team. I don’t want to see Morgan playing sideways. Every players first instinct was to play a forward pass. Bernie and digne made up for lost time. Sidibe was strong offensively and defensively. Iwobi in the first half was playing some great balls in between the centre backs and how refreshing was it to to see a midfielder breaking through for a one on one? Granted his finish was poor but it was great to see. Gilfi scores a great goal and that’s what we want. A squad. Not players guarenteed a game. Shout out to Theo aswell. He played really well

3 minutes ago, Aidan said:

So how long did that West ham game buy him? He should be out by the end of the weekend. We're relegation fodder at the minute. 

I was happy for the most part until the final two subs. That fucked us. Why on earth did Delph come on? No problem with DCL coming on though, the problem was he took all our pacey players off so we then had no chance of hitting Brighton on the break when they would inevitably push forward. 

I’d be interested to know how many times Gylfi touched the ball in comparison to Bernard while he was on. 

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I was happy for the most part until the final two subs. That fucked us. Why on earth did Delph come on? No problem with DCL coming on though, the problem was he took all our pacey players off so we then had no chance of hitting Brighton on the break when they would inevitably push forward. 

I’d be interested to know how many times Gylfi touched the ball in comparison to Bernard while he was on. 

This. I understand that he wanted more “control” in the midfield but Delph is a fucking anchor and completely disrupted Gomes and Davies, who weren’t having great games but doing ok. Should’ve been Kean and DCL and gone for the throats but tried to sensible even though we were in complete control 

thought Gylfi did ok to be honest. 

To o be fair he changed it up in the last game and deserved credit for it and given the way we played I doubt anyone would have picked a different XI today 

After a slow start I though we controlled the game game well and deservedly lead with 20 minutes to go

Then we were on the receiving end of a ludicrous penalty decision and it completely turned the game on its head , Silva can’t be blamed for that 

Admittedly I was baffled  by the Delph substitution and it was alarming how spineless we were in totally capitulating after the pen , but that Is the sign of a team low on confidence , which is exactly what we are

Also thought Gylfi did ok 

31 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Why on earth did Delph come on? No problem with DCL coming on though, the problem was he took all our pacey players off so we then had no chance of hitting Brighton on the break when they would inevitably push forward. 

Agree.  Delph subbing in was maddening, and puzzling.  At the time I assumed Silva was playing for a draw, since he subbed out 2 attackers but brought on only one.

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

To o be fair he changed it up in the last game and deserved credit for it

After four straight defeats, giving credit is like saying well done to a baby for getting square in the toy box after trying the circles hole 4 times. But one's a baby and the other is on & £100,000+k a week to know what to do first time round. 

Sticking with the same analysis, you know when a baby then goes for the square in the round hole again and you encourage them to get it right and eventually they do, well I don't see Martinez mark II being that bright as shown by his subs today. 

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

To o be fair he changed it up in the last game and deserved credit for it and given the way we played I doubt anyone would have picked a different XI today 

After a slow start I though we controlled the game game well and deservedly lead with 20 minutes to go

Then we were on the receiving end of a ludicrous penalty decision and it completely turned the game on its head , Silva can’t be blamed for that 

Admittedly I was baffled  by the Delph substitution and it was alarming how spineless we were in totally capitulating after the pen , but that Is the sign of a team low on confidence , which is exactly what we are

Also thought Gylfi did ok 

It’s a clear penalty for me.

Bringing on Delph just invited pressure. I understand the basic logic of whaa was t he was trying to do but it just wasn’t necessary and completely dismantled our rhythm in the middle. It was a “bottling it” sub.