IGNORED

Marco Silva

2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Marco is the heavy favourite in the sack race. 8/11. 

Nuno at wolves got to be similar or better odds as well.  

2 hours ago, StevO said:

I don’t think he’s got enough of a track record of trusting professionals to make an informed opinion to be honest. Even though he brought in Marcel he still picked the manager himself. 

Agreed.  He chose Walsh and Silva.  If Silva doesn’t work out that’s 1/3.  Brands had said he had talked to Everton for a couple of years.  His track record in holland shows he can pick a manager.  Moshiri needs to show he can trust the people he hires and that he hired them for a reason.  

16 hours ago, Steve_E said:

Not saying 'get him out now', but I'd definitely move on after the season. I've seen enough to know he's not a manager that makes a positive difference. He's perfectly replaceable, so I'd rather move on and try to get in someone who's not just a replacement level manager. 

I'd seriously consider seeing what Arteta's made of as manager.

This is very similar to my thinking. I don't think he is a bad manager but I don't see anything "special" about him either. We will still be there or thereabouts under him and I don't see any real weaknesses in the way he gets his teams to play but the bottom line is that we don't create enough good chances and the players we do have cant finish them. I would not want to see him sacked mid-season and bring more turmoil to the club including what would probably be more big spending in January. Its the last thing we need after what has been a period of stability.

If Pep thinks Arteta is good enough to succeed him at City then I think he is good enough for us.

42 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Nuno at wolves got to be similar or better odds as well.  

Agreed.  He chose Walsh and Silva.  If Silva doesn’t work out that’s 1/3.  Brands had said he had talked to Everton for a couple of years.  His track record in holland shows he can pick a manager.  Moshiri needs to show he can trust the people he hires and that he hired them for a reason.  

It’s probably bollocks but I heard that morishi gets swayed by certain agents and “advisors” this was when we heard he wanted a “statement” signing this summer. I was fairly happy when we got Marco but I wasn’t confident in what he had achieved previously I just hoped we had got the next big thing. 

28 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Don’t want Marco out yet but whenever it happens the only two i’d want to see are Arteta or Howe.

I really like Howe but like Martinez he hasn’t learned how to defend or build a defense.  Also his recruitment is bad (although brands would negate that).  Arteta has no body of work so I would say it’s a tough call because you just don’t know.

there aren’t good options (bar marcelino) now or in January.  Summer is always the best time.

16 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I really like Howe but like Martinez he hasn’t learned how to defend or build a defense.  Also his recruitment is bad (although brands would negate that).  Arteta has no body of work so I would say it’s a tough call because you just don’t know.

there aren’t good options (bar marcelino) now or in January.  Summer is always the best time.

Howe has made some excellent signings at Bournemouth. 

20 minutes ago, nogs said:

Howe has made some excellent signings at Bournemouth. 

30m for Jordan Ibe that was a record for them and he never starts and they tried to loan him out.  Defoe was another bust.  Solanke another he blew the kitty on and isn’t good.  Rico and lerma the jury is still out.  He is good at getting the cheap washed up players and making them decent.  Who do you think he has signed that has been so good?

13 hours ago, Shukes said:

I watched a game where we had 70% possession. 10 shots. But lost to bad defending. 

Not sure what game you watched, but there is no way they were a better team than us? Your not honestly suggesting they were? I think it’s more your emotions are taking over rationality mate.

We can all see the issues, it’s just done of think they are things that can be worked out. You don't and thats fine. I personally think the football is much better than when’s Sam was here. I also think we have young players who can only get better.

Yes we need to improve and sort things out. But we’re not going to finish 12th. I’m willing to bet you a thousand pound on that 😉 

The object of the game shukes is to score more than the opposition. It’s nothing to do with possession stats. The stat may read 10 shots but apart from kean and dignes effort the keeper had nothing to do.

They didn’t play well either that’s what makes this even harder to take. The reason they won though and deserved to, is because they didn’t make basic errors. We did. They kept things compact, we didn’t. That’s why they won. The fact that we passed it round until it finally, painfully, reaches one of our full backs and we then lump a hopeless cross in means we had more of the Ball does not mean we deserve to win.

id love to take that bet but I think he’ll be gone soon and we will have a new manager who will no doubt improve our squad. Shukes we are the most underperforming team in the league. His record in the premier league as a whole is not good. Nowhere near enough for a club trying to challenge the top 6.

people can say that we are just 6 games in but it is the manner of how we are playing. Results are one thing but the performances are awful. There is an alarming lack of creativity. I can name Watford, wolves and Newcastle who are maybe worse than us right now. That’s it. And people still want him to continue? 

Would you bet on us, with Silva all season, challenging the top 6? That was our goal right? Are we going to get anywhere near? So why are people giving him excuses ...

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

My impression with Marcelino is that his style of play wouldn't suit the league and that we would have the same problems we have now in that we are fine when we are counter attacking but we struggle to break down packed defences. Valencia were great at staying compact and the breaking forward at pace but you just dont get that same space and opportunity in England. He may well adapt to the league but when I was in the Mestalla, sat in what felt like the heavens, I just remember thinking that as nice as his play looked, it wouldn't work properly over here week in week out.

People think sacking the manager doesn’t change anything and our recent years say exactly this but that’s only because we keep choosing the wrong man. I hate to use Liverpool as an example but they were on the brink of top 6 under Hodgson, Dalglish before they eventually got klopp who had changed everything for them. The manager is 90% the reason of the success. Maybe even more. Especially if he’s in charge of recruitment. We make excuses that we can’t attract top players but Liverpool bought salah, a chelsea reject, firmino who no one really raised an eyelid at, and Mane, whose price tag we were ridiculing at a whopping 30 mill. The same summer we bought bolasie for the same price. Them players have gone on to become world class under klopp. We have bought bolasie, Richie, sig, kean, Bernard, iwobi and DCL in the same time frame for a combined circa 200 mill. Liverpool’s front three cost about 90. Its all down to the managers....nothing else.

2 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

The object of the game shukes is to score more than the opposition. It’s nothing to do with possession stats. The stat may read 10 shots but apart from kean and dignes effort the keeper had nothing to do.

They didn’t play well either that’s what makes this even harder to take. The reason they won though and deserved to, is because they didn’t make basic errors. We did. They kept things compact, we didn’t. That’s why they won. The fact that we passed it round until it finally, painfully, reaches one of our full backs and we then lump a hopeless cross in means we had more of the Ball does not mean we deserve to win.

id love to take that bet but I think he’ll be gone soon and we will have a new manager who will no doubt improve our squad. Shukes we are the most underperforming team in the league. His record in the premier league as a whole is not good. Nowhere near enough for a club trying to challenge the top 6.

people can say that we are just 6 games in but it is the manner of how we are playing. Results are one thing but the performances are awful. There is an alarming lack of creativity. I can name Watford, wolves and Newcastle who are maybe worse than us right now. That’s it. And people still want him to continue? 

Would you bet on us, with Silva all season, challenging the top 6? That was our goal right? Are we going to get anywhere near? So why are people giving him excuses ...

I’m sure I’ll get negged for this comment :) but ...  Wolves are proving that participating in the Europa is a negative and not a positive. Getting into Europe is is not our goal, any more than willing the League Cup. Getting into the top four and staying there for a decade is our goal. 

36 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I’m sure I’ll get negged for this comment :) but ...  Wolves are proving that participating in the Europa is a negative and not a positive. Getting into Europe is is not our goal, any more than willing the League Cup. Getting into the top four and staying there for a decade is our goal. 

I agree with parts of this but we need to progress and Europa League is definitely progression. It does affect your domestic campaign if  the squad can't cope.
I just wish we wouldn't keep on putting barriers up as to why we can't reach the top 6. Leicester will be giving it a good go this season and they are in no position to attract better players than us. The difference is that they got Rodgers. He's a proven manager used to winning at the top end of the premier league. If Leicester do finish in the top 6, it will be due to the appointment of Rodgers. Yes, we can't attract established star players but we can attract the Richarlisons of this world. I say it again. Success is deemed by good management and good recruitment. Both of ours is poor.....

7 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

If you go and look at predictions and expectations for the coming season you will find I was one who wasn’t getting carried away at all. 

Without looking I think I was going for seventh place but close the gap between sixth and have a go at the top teams. I stand by that.

My argument has nothing to do with stats or results at the moment. My biggest point is that we are playing much better than with Sam... again I stand 100% behind that. You don’t agree, that’s fine. But if we went back to that boring pile of crap I would probably use my weekend time elsewhere this season.

I also pointed out we had a younger team that can o it get better. I stand by that 100%. You don’t, thats fine.

I also think we have been the better team in every single match so far this season, until we have fell behind and bottled it. I stand by that 100%.

I understand your points mate, I really do. I just see it differently. I think Kean will be a good player, but he isn’t ready to o lead us yet. But I do believe he will be a solid forward.

Iwobi excites me. Very direct and can be a game winner. 

Gbamin hasn't had a chance yet to show if he is a good signing or not.

Gomes in injured. 

We played Wolves a few weeks ago, and I came away feeling that could have been five easily. The score flattered them. Against Villa I never felt in trouble, until we were chasing the game. 

Football is a game of fine margins. We’re the wrong side of them at the moment, but I feel we can easily change that.

Anyway, it’s all about opinions and I respect yours mate. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

My argument has nothing to do with stats or results at the moment. My biggest point is that we are playing much better than with Sam... again I stand 100% behind that. You don’t agree, that’s fine. But if we went back to that boring pile of crap I would probably use my weekend time elsewhere this season.

With the same players would Silva have had them playing any better? I wouldn't say the football is any good, just the players are better. 

There wasn't much you could do with the squad but at least Sam addressed the issues, lack of pace and need for a striker also tried for a cb and cm. Yet Silva blew the money on a winger and left a cm until the next season. Still not replaced jags or Coleman yet bought another winger! He's worse than Martinez! 

14 hours ago, sydneyneil said:

People think sacking the manager doesn’t change anything and our recent years say exactly this but that’s only because we keep choosing the wrong man. I hate to use Liverpool as an example but they were on the brink of top 6 under Hodgson, Dalglish before they eventually got klopp who had changed everything for them. The manager is 90% the reason of the success. Maybe even more. Especially if he’s in charge of recruitment. We make excuses that we can’t attract top players but Liverpool bought salah, a chelsea reject, firmino who no one really raised an eyelid at, and Mane, whose price tag we were ridiculing at a whopping 30 mill. The same summer we bought bolasie for the same price. Them players have gone on to become world class under klopp. We have bought bolasie, Richie, sig, kean, Bernard, iwobi and DCL in the same time frame for a combined circa 200 mill. Liverpool’s front three cost about 90. Its all down to the managers....nothing else.

Of course there are success stories but there are also many other cases where it goes tits up, or like us, not much changes. The key is getting the right manager, and the question is whether there is a better manager doing the rounds that we can get. 

It was a no brainer for Liverpool with Klopp. He was always a top level manager who had been to a CL final. Even he struggled for a while and fans were calling for his head at one point to but they stuck with him and with the right players they have come good. 

He joined in October 2015 but finished 8th. They then only finished 4th the next season. 4th again the following season too albeit with a CL final. 

I'm not saying Silva is the next Klopp but it is food for thought.

13 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Getting into Europe might not be your goal, but it’s certainly the clubs goal. No doubt about that whatsoever. 

I’m willing to give it till chrimbo but I’m not hopeful. I feel sorry for Marco because losing Zouma and gana was huge whatever way you look at it and to not replace zouma at all was terrible and JPG suffered a bad injury. We lack real leaders who should be getting Marco out of these situations by performing better. 

27 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Said before mate, I think the football is much much better. Football under Sam was the worst football I have ever witnessed from us. 

I enjoy going again this season. Atmosphere for the Watford match was great, the football ok. Wolves atmosphere was electric and the football was good. 

Sheff Utd was terrible in all areas. But that’s one from 3 for me.

I know we all won’t agree, but for me, it’s watchable at least now haha.

I agree. I actually think we look a decent side most of the time but we just have this uncanny ability to fuck things up at both ends. Given some of the chances we have had we could have easily doubled the goals we have scored and if you take away the blatant errors halved the number of goals conceded but that's all ifs and buts and the reality is very different. I also said a lot of very similar things in Martinez's stint though!

57 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree. I actually think we look a decent side most of the time but we just have this uncanny ability to fuck things up at both ends. Given some of the chances we have had we could have easily doubled the goals we have scored and if you take away the blatant errors halved the number of goals conceded but that's all ifs and buts and the reality is very different. I also said a lot of very similar things in Martinez's stint though!

I think we need to throw some back onto the players. The first goal Saturday was just embarrassing. A keeper who should have gone through the attackers to get to the ball, and a 6.7” who somehow managed to duck so low, that the ball hit him on the back of his head.

Cut out the mistakes and suddenly we look completely different. 

Richarlison had a great chance. I didn’t realise how bad a miss it was until I got on the coach and watched the highlights.

57 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think we need to throw some back onto the players. The first goal Saturday was just embarrassing. A keeper who should have gone through the attackers to get to the ball, and a 6.7” who somehow managed to duck so low, that the ball hit him on the back of his head.

Richarlison had a great chance. I didn’t realise how bad a miss it was until I got on the coach and watched the highlights.

53 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I’ve said before that Pickford should have sorted the first goal but I think is harsh blaming Mina. The corner was whipped in took a deflection and he was trying to get out the way cos he knew if it hit him he was in trouble 

11 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I’ve said before that Pickford should have sorted the first goal but I think is harsh blaming Mina. The corner was whipped in took a deflection and he was trying to get out the way cos he knew if it hit him he was in trouble 

His is what I mean. We had Jags before him, a player that would put his body on the line to stop a goal, now we have a player who wants to get out of the way!

I k ow that’s not what you mean, but it’s schoolboy stuff, always play to the whistle, always watch the ball not the player, and never expect someone else to deal with it.

4 minutes ago, Shukes said:

His is what I mean. We had Jags before him, a player that would put his body on the line to stop a goal, now we have a player who wants to get out of the way!

I k ow that’s not what you mean, but it’s schoolboy stuff, always play to the whistle, always watch the ball not the player, and never expect someone else to deal with it.

you missed his point.  he was trying to get out of the way because he knew it would be an own goal, which it was.  It was 100% on pickford for me, i'd look to sell him honestly, he's overrated and english which means he could be worth 80m.

20 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

you missed his point.  he was trying to get out of the way because he knew it would be an own goal, which it was.  It was 100% on pickford for me, i'd look to sell him honestly, he's overrated and english which means he could be worth 80m.

I didn’t miss the point at all MJB, I just think a premier league player should be better than that, they should take responsibility.

Both players are to blame for me. I would be embarrassed to be either of them. But then I’m confident with my head.