IGNORED

The Kit Supplier Thread

EVERTON FC kit supplier if Umbro contract runs out after 2018-19 season  

19 members have voted

1. 1. who will be EVERTON FC kit supplier for 2019-2020 season?

• Keep Umbro
    • Kappa
    • Joma
    • Asics
    • Nike
    • Le Coq Sportif
    • Hummel

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

The fact that there was no fanfare, or a mention of it being an improved deal, when we renewed with Umbro tells me that this is a pretty shit deal and gets us nowhere.

Realistically most kit deals are.  Unless you are united or Liverpool or Bayern or Real Madrid, the kits deals are just a necessary evil.  That’s why soton did their own one year and other clubs have switched to smaller companies (Joga, etc).  I don’t think any midtable club is raking in the bucks on these things or is getting some revolutionary design.

i think the new kit every year is stupid. In most American sports it stays the same and just gets a refresh or rebrand every 5 or so years.  More consistency and they can make a cool design because they have 5 years.  Every year and it’s not surprising everybody is getting the same thing.

35 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Realistically most kit deals are.  Unless you are united or Liverpool or Bayern or Real Madrid, the kits deals are just a necessary evil.  That’s why soton did their own one year and other clubs have switched to smaller companies (Joga, etc).  I don’t think any midtable club is raking in the bucks on these things or is getting some revolutionary design.

i think the new kit every year is stupid. In most American sports it stays the same and just gets a refresh or rebrand every 5 or so years.  More consistency and they can make a cool design because they have 5 years.  Every year and it’s not surprising everybody is getting the same thing.

I’m not saying I expected big money. I expected an improvement on the current deal, even Suntan Bob managed that with every deal, but at best it’s clear that we’ve just got the same terms. 

Like I said; first fail for Denise is this renewal with Umbro. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I’m not saying I expected big money. I expected an improvement on the current deal, even Suntan Bob managed that with every deal, but at best it’s clear that we’ve just got the same terms. 

Like I said; first fail for Denise is this renewal with Umbro. 

fair enough, i get your point and don't disagree she should be doing a better job than Elstone. 

"Everton's commercial director Alan McTavish said: "Umbro has a strong football heritage and we are confident that they will continue to provide our teams with bespoke kit designs and great-looking, technically advanced training wear."

As part of the design process for Everton’s current kit, Umbro consulted with the team’s supporters over a 15-month period. The club’s new playing shirts are set to be revealed in the summer.

The announcement comes a month after Everton confirmed an enhanced deal with global retail giant Fanatics, which will make the club’s Umbro kits, training wear and merchandise, and will be available in more international territories."

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/everton-umbro-kit-deal

It seems that the overall retail deal has been "enhanced" by more than just an increased kit deal though.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2019/02/14/fanatics

I remember there being a bit of a fanfare around it, with the Fanatics launch at the Liver buildings. 

I think the enhanced bit being that our shirts will be in more shops around the world, so hopefully giving a greater chance of selling them. Let’s hope there is a bit more cash upfront too. 

@Romey 1878 this seems to be your pressure point here, the kit that is.  so if you disapprove of Umbro who would you rather have?  Because we aren't gonna get bespoke anywhere (unless we become man city overnight).  So what manufacturer would you like that will give us the same kit as other teams?  I'm being serious here, the football kit thing is something i don't care about at all.  it's a uniform, has the crest and that's enough for me.  but it seems with you and others it really resonates.  so i'm trying to understand what the better solution would look like.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

@Romey 1878 this seems to be your pressure point here, the kit that is.  so if you disapprove of Umbro who would you rather have?  Because we aren't gonna get bespoke anywhere (unless we become man city overnight).  So what manufacturer would you like that will give us the same kit as other teams?  I'm being serious here, the football kit thing is something i don't care about at all.  it's a uniform, has the crest and that's enough for me.  but it seems with you and others it really resonates.  so i'm trying to understand what the better solution would look like.

My problem is that when we signed with Umbro they made a big song and dance about our kits being bespoke because we were their flagship partner and it’s absolute bullshit. Don’t say that and then just use the same template for all of the clubs they make kits for. 

I buy all three shirts every season, no matter the manufacturer and no matter the design (good and bad).

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Another myth that the home shirt is bespoke 

The collar on ours is ever so slightly different, is what I would expect them to say. And it is, just a little bit. 

MJB, it’s something we get excited about over here. When the new shirts come they make a big thing about it and we all go and buy it. Mark (Romey), if I remember rightly, buys all the shirts each year, even if he doesn’t like them. So they better make something that looks nice when people splash out. I’ve not got kids, but I used to work in a care home, I took one of the kids to get the new Liverpool kit, almost ten years ago now, in kids sizes. He got Aquilani (spelling?) on the back and the number on the shorts. It came to just over £100, I was fuming but he wanted it so we paid the money. 

Saying that I’ve also bought a Barcelona top when I was over there, in April so coming to the end of the life of the shirt and it was €120 with Iniesta on the back. I bought a Kobe Lakers jersey when I was in LA for around $180 I think (I don’t have the body to pull it off so I’ve worn it once and it now lives with my old footy shirts).

ive been looming on football shirt culture at the kits Umbro have brought out this year, they all look the same as ours last year but with a round collar. I’m expecting our away kits to be just like that. 

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

My problem is that when we signed with Umbro they made a big song and dance about our kits being bespoke because we were their flagship partner and it’s absolute bullshit. Don’t say that and then just use the same template for all of the clubs they make kits for. 

I buy all three shirts every season, no matter the manufacturer and no matter the design (good and bad).

They only promised the home shirt didn’t they? Not like they’ve kept to that recently.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

They only promised the home shirt didn’t they? Not like they’ve kept to that recently.

They haven’t even managed that really. Even the first season Hull’s home shirt was the same design (just with their colours and stripes obviously)  

If they hadn’t said anything then it’d just be a mild irritation. Don’t fluff it up as a way to justify charging £55 per shirt. 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

ok that makes sense, more to do with their claims then the kit itself.

2 hours ago, StevO said:

The collar on ours is ever so slightly different, is what I would expect them to say. And it is, just a little bit. 

MJB, it’s something we get excited about over here. When the new shirts come they make a big thing about it and we all go and buy it. Mark (Romey), if I remember rightly, buys all the shirts each year, even if he doesn’t like them. So they better make something that looks nice when people splash out. I’ve not got kids, but I used to work in a care home, I took one of the kids to get the new Liverpool kit, almost ten years ago now, in kids sizes. He got Aquilani (spelling?) on the back and the number on the shorts. It came to just over £100, I was fuming but he wanted it so we paid the money. 

Saying that I’ve also bought a Barcelona top when I was over there, in April so coming to the end of the life of the shirt and it was €120 with Iniesta on the back. I bought a Kobe Lakers jersey when I was in LA for around $180 I think (I don’t have the body to pull it off so I’ve worn it once and it now lives with my old footy shirts).

ive been looming on football shirt culture at the kits Umbro have brought out this year, they all look the same as ours last year but with a round collar. I’m expecting our away kits to be just like that. 

intestesting.  as i have mentioned before most USA teams get a new kit/jersey/uniform only when a re-brand happens.  the logo is completely new, colors might change, and the uniforms do.  but that's far and few between (maybe every 10 years).  some teams like the Yankees never do a rebrand, same uniform for decades.  so for me this concept is difficult to grasp.  now i get the whole concept of people going and buying the new ones, sure, and great money maker for the club, but i just don't wear sports jerseys around (i own 1 vintage 79 everton one from the latchford days a reissue online i found) so it's foreign to me.

thanks for all the insights 

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

but i just don't wear sports jerseys around (i own 1 vintage 79 Evertonerton one from the latchford days a reissue online i found) so it's foreign to me.

I don't wear football shirts around although I did to the last game I went to more if I'm honest as a form of protection, I was in the Gwalady end against Arsenal and my wife is a gooner and we both have London accents.

I remember thinking a few days before the game this could go horribly wrong if Arsenal are battering us and my Mrs is giving it large then potentially I could be in the shit so I wore a shirt, as it happened I could have worn an Arsenal shirt and they would have just felt sorry for me.

But like you I don't get wearing sports tops as every day wear if your going to a game fair enough but going to the park or shops ect I don't really get it, having said that I do buy the home shirt every season just to collect really and not wear.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Don’t think we are getting a new kit this year 

Personally I'd be delighted if we kept the same kit and avoided fleecing the fans, though everyone does it now and probably the fans want/expect a knew model. "When I were a lad" I just wanted a blue shirt, the important thing being blue cuffs rather than white. Parents scoured so many sports shops:D.

54 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Personally I'd be delighted if we kept the same kit and avoided fleecing the fans, though everyone does it now and probably the fans want/expect a knew model. "When I were a lad" I just wanted a blue shirt, the important thing being blue cuffs rather than white. Parents scoured so many sports shops:D.

it would be wonderful, we could start a trend hopefully.  the amount of money generated by kit tops is minuscule compared to corporate sponsorships and the like.  with the kitbag deal being a downer as well we might as well just keep the same kit.