IGNORED

Zaha

2 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

We might be getting lead astray and another club is in for him!

BUT...I think with the stadium plans and the signings we have made, the set up of the club etc...we're becoming more attractive to players.

No doubt, but he said he wanted to leave Palace to prove himself on the biggest stage and we're many years away that. By the time we get there he's likely to be in his 30s.

9 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I’m blown away that he even wants to come here tbh. We must be willing to pay him a shitload in wages. 

Bit of a snowball effect. Playing attractive football towards the end of last season and having some good results vs. the top 6, new stadium plans moving along, signing a really high level teenager like Kean, clearly having an owner who is willing to spend what it takes to push into Europe. Lot of factors all pointing in the same direction.

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

No doubt, but he said he wanted to leave Palace to prove himself on the biggest stage and we're many years away that. By the time we get there he's likely to be in his 30s.

You just never know in football. I do agree mind.

3 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

just gonna put this here.

If we do sign him, regardless of how he works out, it does put us in a different tier on the global stage. The ability to sign a player like him for that sort of money is a very clear message. In fact even launching these kinds of bids is a statement. 

Just now, SpartyBlue said:

If we do sign him, regardless of how he works out, it does put us in a different tier on the global stage. The ability to sign a player like him for that sort of money is a very clear message. In fact even launching these kinds of bids is a statement. 

and i get it from that aspect but i feel about Zaha how i felt about Walcott, he's not that good and he's overrated.  i am hoping and praying i will be proved wrong many times over.  especially for that price.

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

and i get it from that aspect but i feel about Zaha how i felt about Walcott, he's not that good and he's overrated.  i am hoping and praying i will be proved wrong many times over.  especially for that price.

Personally, I feel like Zaha is significantly more likely to be successful than Walcott but I get where you're coming from. There is something to be said for people around the world tomorrow looking at transfer news and thinking "Wow, Everton aren't f*cking around." Fans see that, managers see that and future players see that and it will make an impact. 

Since you're an american i'm comfortable with the following analogy. I'm from the Detroit area and as such am a Tigers fan. For many years (and right now, incidentally) we were one of  the worst teams in baseball. Then in 2004 we were able to coax Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez  to come to Detroit, a destination that was not at all attractive to free agents at the time. That one move set a tone that would later result in signing players like Magglio Ordonez, Gary Sheffield and most notably, Miguel Cabrera. For many years after we were among the best teams in the league. Sometimes it just takes one statement of intent and one player willing to buy in to the vision of a club to change perceptions. I'm not saying Zaha is for sure that guy for Everton but I do think his signing would change the perception of us as a good mid table club to one who is a real threat to the established order.

5 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Personally, I feel like Zaha is significantly more likely to be successful than Walcott but I get where you're coming from. There is something to be said for people around the world tomorrow looking at transfer news and thinking "Wow, Everton aren't f*cking around." Fans see that, managers see that and future players see that and it will make an impact. 

Since you're an american i'm comfortable with the following analogy. I'm from the Detroit area and as such am a Tigers fan. For many years (and right now, incidentally) we were one of  the worst teams in baseball. Then in 2004 we were able to coax Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez  to come to Detroit, a destination that was not at all attractive to free agents at the time. That one move set a tone that would later result in signing players like Magglio Ordonez, Gary Sheffield and most notably, Miguel Cabrera. For many years after we were among the best teams in the league. Sometimes it just takes one statement of intent and one player willing to buy in to the vision of a club to change perceptions. I'm not saying Zaha is for sure that guy for Everton but I do think his signing would change the perception of us as a good mid table club to one who is a real threat to the established order.

you got victor martinez from my indians as well.  yeah i was happy you guys won it, my uncle was a pitcher for the tigers in the 80's for 8 years, i also like detroit it's a nice city (contrary to public opinion), also it's similar to cleveland in that it's a cool rust belt city that gets ripped on.  i have some good friends from detroit and have been to a show at Chene Park, nice venue.  

back to zaha, let's hope he comes as advertised

6 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

you got victor martinez from my indians as well.  yeah i was happy you guys won it, my uncle was a pitcher for the tigers in the 80's for 8 years, i also like detroit it's a nice city (contrary to public opinion), also it's similar to cleveland in that it's a cool rust belt city that gets ripped on.  i have some good friends from detroit and have been to a show at Chene Park, nice venue.  

back to zaha, let's hope he comes as advertised

Chene Park is a gem. I saw Smokey Robinson there last summer. It pains me to correct you but while we did make two World Series we were unsuccessful both times. We really should have gotten a World Championship during that time but, alas, the last one was in 84' as you're obviously aware of. Mind if I ask who your uncle was?

43 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

That'll teach me for forgetting that footballers lie through their teeth and only give a shit about money.

It's a short career. Got to get as much as possible. Annoying as it is for fans, we'd do the same if a rival firm offered us more for our services.

34 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

It's a short career. Got to get as much as possible.

Not buying that anymore, go back pre-PL and it's a valid point. Nowadays poor/average players earn £40/50k a week (that's upward of £2m pa); as long as they're not complete doughnuts or end up with a gambling addiction Dan Gosling level players will never have to do a days work in their lives.

12 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Not buying that anymore, go back pre-PL and it's a valid point. Nowadays poor/average players earn £40/50k a week (that's upward of £2m pa); as long as they're not complete doughnuts or end up with a gambling addiction Dan Gosling level players will never have to do a days work in their lives.

Don't disagree but I think it's part of the make up I'm afraid. More money more money more money. How much is enough?! Complicated subject. Probably best left away from the ramblings of TT I think.

15 minutes ago, MikeO said:

That’s not really how it works though, is it? As an an example look at every other major sport. A career could end at any moment and many athletes are not simply concerned with their own welfare. They are supporting an extended family and trying to set up their children and grandchildren. It’s not as if the vast majority of “regular” people would turn down a 100% pay raise. 

3 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I'm a bit dubious to be honest. Big fish in a small pond, he wasn't that successful at Man U and went on loan to Cardiff..

Which also means his numbers come with worse teammates around him, going against the exact same players our boys are.