IGNORED

Zaha

2 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

But do we want to make a statement or break into the top tier? Wasting money on Bolasie was making a statement at the time. 

Little bit of an unfair comparison for me. Bolasie was less established and then obviously suffered a devastating injury. Who knows how his career might have progressed. I don’t expect Brands to be making moves just to get a “name”. Whether a transfer works out or not I think we can trust that they are making decisions in an effort to move up the table. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

We've been down the road with young up coming strikers they rarely ever come good especially when there is no good senior striker to learn from, for me get Costa in and let the likes of DCL and Tosun learn from a master how to lead the line terrorise defenders and score goals.

Backfired when we tried that with Eto though. I’m not sure Costa is the right personality for that role either.

16 minutes ago, Deacs said:

Backfired when we tried that with Eto though. I’m not sure Costa is the right personality for that role either.

I’m not sure where this idea about Costas personality has come from. His team mates have always seemed to love him. Trippier commented the other day how welcome he’s made him feel, him and Morata looking after him. No doubt he’s a crank on the pitch though. 

5 hours ago, Aidan said:

You can count on one had the players outside the top 6 that are better than him though. 

That's why I think the club want him. It was the same with sigurdsson, we can't get the lads at the top so we have to get the best of the rest. 

It's a statement signing almost. Like I've said before no doubt he will improve the team, I'd have just liked us to strengthen the CF role or even just a left footed winger. 

Or I don't know, maybe Brands has seen the market for realistic CF targets this season and doesn't want to take a risk on older players (mandzukic etc) or the likes of Costa's ego. Maybe a marquee signing that isn't a CF is a better option if we find the right player, in this case Zaha, along with a young up coming striker who would be cheaper.

Good post.  That idea of the best of the rest is interesting.  In a way that’s how spurs built their sides while breaking into the top 4, trippier alderwereld dembele adebayor wanyama etc

14 hours ago, StevO said:

I’m not sure where this idea about Costas personality has come from. His team mates have always seemed to love him. Trippier commented the other day how welcome he’s made him feel, him and Morata looking after him. No doubt he’s a crank on the pitch though. 

Absolutely he may the nicest guy in the world off the pitch. I just don’t know how he’d fit at Everton.

I really, really don't like the way Bolasie has been branded. He was actually good before he broke his leg. He had three assists before his injury which is more than most players manage in an entire season. Will every player receive the same treatment if they break their leg three months into their time at Everton?

And especially I hate when people draw some idiotic parallels between him and Zaha just because they played at the same club. It's not even stupid, it's beyond that.

10 minutes ago, Makis said:

I really, really don't like the way Bolasie has been branded. He was actually good before he broke his leg. He had three assists before his injury which is more than most players manage in an entire season. Will every player receive the same treatment if they break their leg three months into their time at Everton?

And especially I hate when people draw some idiotic parallels between him and Zaha just because they played at the same club. It's not even stupid, it's beyond that.

Think you’ll find that even his harshest critics gave a lot of support when he broke himself. But he was poor before the injury, and understandably worst after. 

As for the comparisons because they played the same position (how is that stupid?!) at the same club, a club who looks to rip us off again because they’ve got a MOTD winger is quite accurate parallel.  

1 minute ago, Makis said:

No he wasn't, he was actually pretty good. It's hard to prove after this many years, but look at whoscored for instance: https://www.whoscored.com/Players/69844/History/Yannick-Bolasie

7.2 average in the 12 games he managed before he broke his leg.

He wasn’t good. He had good moments which may have lasted 5 mins a gam3. But otherwise was constantly caught out of position, or offside, didn’t help the full backs, tackled himself repeatedly...

3 minutes ago, Makis said:

We then agree to disagree. I personally think you are thinking of him after he returned from injury.

No, I was giving the same criticism when all the media were fapping over his clever tricks whilst at Palace, but then ignoring as he fell over the next time or ran into someone.  In fact, I’ve stated many times that the injury maybe  have turned out beneficial for him, because his feet were always too quick for his brain, and that slight dip in speed plus time to reflect during his recovery would’ve all added up to an improved player. Didn’t really seem to turn out that way, at least for us. 

I'm warming to the idea of him joining us, took awhile as I don't like his diving and whinging antics, but he can score and beat a defender. The reason I'm warming is Zaha, Richarlison and DCL as the front three could work, all three are fast and could interchange positions with ease, left mid and right, would give defenders lots to think about. Whatever happens the price has to be right no more than £50m and ideally with a player going the other way, Bolassie back to his old club would be nice.

Everton have released an official statement categorically denying making a 2nd bid with players but admitting a bid was made over the weekend, which was rejected, and both clubs agreed that was that.

Seems a bit strange to release that, never known that before?

30 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Everton have released an official statement categorically denying making a 2nd bid with players but admitting a bid was made over the weekend, which was rejected, and both clubs agreed that was that.

Seems a bit strange to release that, never known that before?

playing hard ball with palace i imagine.

19 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

How so?

Starting to think this was just the West Ham trick of putting a bid in for someone we had no chance of signing.

Its a strange one. Surly the club has some idea of whether or not Zaha would want to join.