IGNORED

James Tarkowski

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I think paying big wages is a problem for the club, our wages bill has crept into 92-93% of our annual turnover. When players on big wages leave we shouldn’t view their wages as free hit for the next player to come in, and as Rom said pay super star wages to average players. When Brands joined one of his tasks was to get the wages bill down, he obviously didn’t achieve it and it increased significantly in his time and has increased again since he left. We need to curb our spending because if we don’t it’s going to cost us points and then possibly our PL status. 

Not to mention our turnover has just taken a huge hit with Usmanov being sanctioned

8 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

On £30,000 the argument could be made that the player in question would be more willing to graft for their money, perhaps to earn a bigger contract in the future.

Giving someone £100,000 could potentially make them numb to their on field performances, due to the fact that they're guaranteed a bumper wage anyway.

I actually get that piece and believe it’s a widespread problem in the game.  For me I believe Tarkowski would see Everton as a step up and not a step down retirement like many we sign. 

8 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I just don't think he's worth £100K a week no matter what, transfer fee or no transfer fee.

We're in the financial mess we are by overpaying for players, both in transfer fees and wages, and I'd rather not add another to that list just as we're getting rid of a few. 

I would sooner pay £5m up front to him and £50k a week or whatever balances it out. I don’t like the fact that an agent could use his inflated  salary to benchmark a players demands. 

9 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I just don't think he's worth £100K a week no matter what, transfer fee or no transfer fee.

We're in the financial mess we are by overpaying for players, both in transfer fees and wages, and I'd rather not add another to that list just as we're getting rid of a few. 

But for the club it’s just math isn’t it? He would be unquestionably a cheap signing given the free. Let’s say in 3/4 years he goes for next to nothing (5m). That’s a year of wages. So effectively the cost for the club is even less. We can argue whether he’s worth 100k a week or not but what does it matter if the effective net cost to the club is 40k a week (or less)

Haf - I don't believe we will have a "few quid" to spend even with the wages coming off the books. The reason being that year that is rolling off for FPP was one of our better years....so we are actually in more trouble (when it comes to FPP) this summer than we were last summer that is even with 400k of wages per week coming off the books. I think the article someone shared from the Esk laid it out nicely.

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I would sooner pay £5m up front to him and £50k a week or whatever balances it out. I don’t like the fact that an agent could use his inflated  salary to benchmark a players demands. 

I mean what is an experienced premier league CB worth in average? 80k? Mina is 120k. Keane is now on 70ish I think. Godfrey similar at 23. Even if you think he’s just average that extra 20k is easily offset and then some. The financial commitment of the club is what matters. 

37 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

But for the club it’s just math isn’t it? He would be unquestionably a cheap signing given the free. Let’s say in 3/4 years he goes for next to nothing (5m). That’s a year of wages. So effectively the cost for the club is even less. We can argue whether he’s worth 100k a week or not but what does it matter if the effective net cost to the club is 40k a week (or less)

I think my main problem is just that I don't think he's very good. So we could pay him £20K a week and I'd still think "fucks sake" :lol:.

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think my main problem is just that I don't think he's very good. So we could pay him £20K a week and I'd still think "fucks sake" :lol:.

Fair enough. Less a money issue than a Tarkowski issue. The spot we are in is a tough one though. To get someone proven in our league that we can afford that would come to us..who else is on that list? 

3 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Fair enough. Less a money issue than a Tarkowski issue. The spot we are in is a tough one though. To get someone proven in our league that we can afford that would come to us..who else is on that list? 

They don’t have to be proven in this league though, looking further than the end of our own nose isn’t a bad thing and would probably give us better value.

It’s irrelevant anyway because I believe we will sign him. Mostly because no other club would be stupid enough to pay him what we will. We’ll probably put the icing on the cake and give him a 5 year deal too. 

8 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

They don’t have to be proven in this league though, looking further than the end of our own nose isn’t a bad thing and would probably give us better value.

It’s irrelevant anyway because I believe we will sign him. Mostly because no other club would be stupid enough to pay him what we will. We’ll probably put the icing on the cake and give him a 5 year deal too. 

Funes mori cost 11m and was shite.  Argentina international,  centre halves often struggle to adapt to prem, look at how many Man City and man united have been through. 

9 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Funes mori cost 11m and was shite.  Argentina international,  centre halves often struggle to adapt to prem, look at how many Man City and man united have been through. 

United’s worst one being Harry Maguire. One of those ones that’s proven in this league, proven to be absolutely shite.

Like I say, it’s all irrelevant because we will sign him and then we’ll find out. I hope I’m wrong about him and he’s not just an English Ashley Williams - I.e. a huge mistake. 

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11685/12073840/james-tarkowski-west-ham-have-third-bid-rejected-for-burnley-defender

let’s put this into context, Burnley rejected £35 for him 2 years ago and held out for £40m. Moyes wanted him badly.   

One thing I would say about Moyes is he knows a good centre half. Barring a couple of bad ones you look at jags, lescott, stones, Stubbs, and his work at West Ham. 

his due diligence on Tarkowski will have been thorough.  Lampard wanted tarkowski at Chelsea and tried to get him in. He fell out with a Chelsea director over it. He wanted Declan Rice also for what would have been an affordable fee at the time….. not now.

for Burnley to reject £35m says a lot. 

Jonny Evans got a very similar response on here when we were linked and Leicester signed him… he would have still walked into our team last season. I get the same feeling about this deal. It’s not a big exciting name on the back of shirt kind of deal - it’s a necessity. We lack leaders. We’re shocking in defence. We can’t defend from set-pieces. Sign Tarkowski - sell Mina (sadly but necessity again) and another - develop what we’ve got with Tarkowski as the main-stay. There is probably better and much better value but he fits the bill for exactly what we need now.

1 minute ago, c1982 said:

Jonny Evans got a very similar response on here when we were linked and Leicester signed him… he would have still walked into our team last season. I get the same feeling about this deal. It’s not a big exciting name on the back of shirt kind of deal - it’s a necessity. We lack leaders. We’re shocking in defence. We can’t defend from set-pieces. Sign Tarkowski - sell Mina (sadly but necessity again) and another - develop what we’ve got with Tarkowski as the main-stay. There is probably better and much better value but he fits the bill for exactly what we need now.

This.

I think too many fans think they are gonna get a grand beckenbauer if we search hard enough.  

historically our best centre halves have been extremely unexciting,  Ratcliffe, Watson, weir, gough, jags, lescott.  Yeah we’ve had your yobos, stones and matterazzis…..  you get the players in who are reliable, switched on and can organise. The names in the first list could do that and that is what we need.

tarkowski is a ball magnet in set pieces, possibly similar in ways to Keane but better. Moves quicker, has a lot more confidence and is assured. 

44 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

United’s worst one being Harry Maguire. One of those ones that’s proven in this league, proven to be absolutely shite.

Like I say, it’s all irrelevant because we will sign him and then we’ll find out. I hope I’m wrong about him and he’s not just an English Ashley Williams - I.e. a huge mistake. 

Bringing that name up should get you an instant six month suspension from here.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11685/12073840/james-tarkowski-west-ham-have-third-bid-rejected-for-burnley-defender

let’s put this into context, Burnley rejected £35 for him 2 years ago and held out for £40m. Moyes wanted him badly.   

One thing I would say about Moyes is he knows a good centre half. Barring a couple of bad ones you look at jags, lescott, stones, Stubbs, and his work at West Ham. 

his due diligence on Tarkowski will have been thorough.  Lampard wanted tarkowski at Chelsea and tried to get him in. He fell out with a Chelsea director over it. He wanted Declan Rice also for what would have been an affordable fee at the time….. not now.

About how stupid they were.

Any idea on what he is currently on, so we can gauge what sort of increase he’s looking for. Regardless of that I see him as a better replacement for Mina, both on the field and when Mina is injured 😜 and if it’s £100k pw its 20k less than Mina is reportedly on.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Also we have to take into account the precedent we are setting for ourselves by paying big wages to average players, since we signed Gylfi every player who comes here is looking for £100k plus, we need to stop looking like the club that keeps giving.  

2 hours ago, Btay said:

About how stupid they were.

Not really, a club like Burnley £35m is a massive amount of money. They will sell players as we have seen with Keane, wood and Ings.   For them to reject £35m says that they see him as integral to their existence in the league. 

look at Tarkowski stats for last 5 years… aerial duels he is pretty much top 5 right the way through. 

13 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Im sure he was devastated when they went and signed Thiago Silva instead. 

I wasn’t aware that the interest in him was that big a couple of years ago, we definitely need to overhaul our back line and you make some good points and maybe he is the one to make a significant difference to our defensive woes. From most media outlets we seem to be making a very concerted effort to bring him here, if it comes off let’s hope it’s for the right money because if we stick him on big wages and it doesn’t work out he will be hard to shift and just eat into our already beleaguered finances. 

I really don’t see the issue giving a free transfer £100k per week. We gave Bernard £120k per week a few years back. 
It’s still cheaper than getting a player on £75k and paying a £15m transfer fee, but chances are any proven player we bring in will want £100k anyway, regardless of a transfer fee. 

£100k is fast becoming just an average wage for a half decent player now. As crazy as those sort of numbers are, there are players in the premier league (albeit way above our station) on more than three times that. If we offer Richarlison a new contract it will have to be more than £150k per week. Probably the same if Pickford signs another deal. 
If Anthony Gordon signs a new contract in a couple of seasons that will probably be £100k too. The numbers are just getting bigger and bigger. 

If Frank wants him just get it done and then get Mina sold (if we’re lucky) and try to recover some of the losses we’ve made on his £60m transfer. 

look at Tarkowski stats for last 5 years… aerial duels he is pretty much top 5 right the way through. 

You would expect this because of how they play. He should be towards the top of all the defensive stats, in the same way Keane was before he left and Mee has been in his time there as well. 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Im sure he was devastated when they went and signed Thiago Silva instead. 

Your point may have had credibility if it wasn’t for the fact that Thiago Silva was signed in august and Lampard tried to get Tarkowski the following January. 

9 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Your point may have had credibility if it wasn’t for the fact that Thiago Silva was signed in august and Lampard tried to get Tarkowski the following January. 

So Lampard already had Silva, Rudiger, Christensen, Chalobah, Azpilicueta, Zouma, Tomori and Sarr but still wanted another CB? 

I find that bizarre.

11 minutes ago, Bailey said:

You would expect this because of how they play. He should be towards the top of all the defensive stats, in the same way Keane was before he left and Mee has been in his time there as well. 

No that’s incorrect. Tarkowski only had  20 more aerial duels than van dyke this season, who in turn had more than lascelles and Hanley from Newcastle and Norwich respectively.

clearly forgetting that better sides have their centre halves facing more long goal kicks from their sides missed shots and that they are up for their teams corners.