IGNORED

Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Thrown into a new league, physically the toughest and fastest in the world, unexpectedly due to Gomes' injury, having had almost no time to adapt to his own teammates, let alone the pace and style of the Premier League. He ended the game having helped us to not concede, which I think is his primary role in the team. He can be proud, he had a very unexpected debut (I'd be surprised if Marco was thinking of  bringing him on at all today) and he wasn't on a losing side. Hopefully this'll be character-building.  

Got his pocket pinched a few times and missed a few passes. Good wake up to the speed of the league and if he’s going to learn it - this was the game.

I don’t think we are going to see the best of him for another few months to be honest. Defensively he was strong - I think he muscled benteke off the ball, easily, by the touchline and looked to hold a good position when it looked like crosses coming in.

Some of his passing was crisp. Patience is needed here.

11 hours ago, Btay said:

Patience is needed here.

Amen! Young man, new league, new culture, new teammates, hardly had a preseason after ACON, not 100% fit (which he said so himself)... I’m sure the plan would have been to start playing him around September time - much like Digne last season but we don’t have that luxury now with injuries and suspensions so we’ll need to be supportive and patient.

It reminded my 5 a side game last week. Agreed to help out for a mate who didn't have enough players but they are in the top division whereas I earn my coin in the lowest league. Ball rolled back to me from kick off (weakly might I add) and there was already someone in my face, tackled me before I could clear it and slotted it home to be 1 up in less than 10 seconds. It wasn't quite as bad for the rest of the game but when you are used to a bit of time on the ball, its a massive shock when someone is in your face or breathing down your neck anytime it comes near you. Frustratingly just as I was getting used to the pace the game it finished and that frustration is how I imagine Gbamin felt yesterday and probably until the next training session.

Sometimes it is better to be thrown in at the deep end though and I am sure he will learn a lot and learn quickly.

Just now, Bailey said:

It reminded my 5 a side game last week. Agreed to help out for a mate who didn't have enough players but they are in the top division whereas I earn my coin in the lowest league. Ball rolled back to me from kick off (weakly might I add) and there was already someone in my face, tackled me before I could clear it and slotted it home to be 1 up in less than 10 seconds. It wasn't quite as bad for the rest of the game but when you are used to a bit of time on the ball, its a massive shock when someone is in your face or breathing down your neck anytime it comes near you. Frustratingly just as I was getting used to the pace the game it finished and that frustration is how I imagine Gbamin felt yesterday and probably until the next training session.

Sometimes it is better to be thrown in at the deep end though and I am sure he will learn a lot and learn quickly.

This. He did grow as the game went on and I fully expect him to stay on that upward curve. 

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

This. 

It also happened to Jack Grielish yesterday, but it cost his team a goal. He was the best player in the championship last season, day one back in the premier league and he’s caught out by the pace and time of the PL. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

This. 

It also happened to Jack Grielish yesterday, but it cost his team a goal. He was the best player in the championship last season, day one back in the premier league and he’s caught out by the pace and time of the PL. 

I was having that same discussion with a villa supporter yesterday. They were naive and learnt the hard way. Grielish though got caught in similar fashion a few mins before he played a major part in Spurs second. I’m sure he’ll learn as will Gbamin I just hope it doesn’t cost us too many points in the mean time. 

12 minutes ago, barryj said:

I was having that same discussion with a villa supporter yesterday. They were naive and learnt the hard way. Grielish though got caught in similar fashion a few mins before he played a major part in Spurs second. I’m sure he’ll learn as will Gbamin I just hope it doesn’t cost us too many points in the mean time. 

I’m sure Grealish will learn, I think he’ll grow into a very good player. Hopefully Gbamin will grow into one too. 

I think it’s telling that in his first full game at Goodison nobody has commented about him. For a defensive mid  that’s what you want. Couple of loose moments maybe but I thought he did his job well. Even when he doesn’t get to a ball first he’s excellent at knocking an opponent off stride and disrupting things. I’m encouraged. 

16 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I think it’s telling that in his first full game at Goodison nobody has commented about him. For a defensive mid  that’s what you want. Couple of loose moments maybe but I thought he did his job well. Even when he doesn’t get to a ball first he’s excellent at knocking an opponent off stride and disrupting things. I’m encouraged. 

I thought the game completely passed him by to be honest, Watford totally bossed the midfield and dominated us for large periods of the game, especially in the second half 

Not having a pop at the lad he has only been here 2 minutes and hasn’t had a preseason so it’s hardly surprising he is not up to speed

Just now, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I thought the game completely passed him by to be honest, Watford totally bossed the midfield and dominated us for large periods of the game, especially in the second half 

Not having a pop at the lad he has only been here 2 minutes and hasn’t had a preseason so it’s hardly surprising he is not up to speed

There were certainly flashes of a good player but I agree with this. Ideally, Gbamin probably wouldn’t have played until Lincoln  in the cup but Schneiderlin’s suspension and Delph’s injury has denied us that luxury. I think he’ll be just fine though.

I only got to see bits and pieces considering I was working, but he did... ok. Got stuck in when needed and made some good blocks but his passing seemed a bit off or, in some cases, the intended recipient wasn’t on the same page as him. For a second game and about 2 weeks with his new teammates, I’m quite optimistic 

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

I only got to see bits and pieces considering I was working, but he did... ok. Got stuck in when needed and made some good blocks but his passing seemed a bit off or, in some cases, the intended recipient wasn’t on the same page as him. For a second game and about 2 weeks with his new teammates, I’m quite optimistic 

So didn't quite gbang it out of the park then, but could end up being a gbrilliant buy!

(I'll stop now before I get gboring)

49 minutes ago, Matt said:

Digne was at fault for one good ball going out for a throw in. Gave him a shout and then didn't make the run. 

I was actually pretty impressed.

Biggest thing is how much he shows for the ball - after the first game I wouldn’t have been surprised if he eased into it and didn’t go looking for it. Seems an honest player - scraps well. I feel once he sharpens up the little loose moments - he will really dominate midfield.

I remember fellani starting at Everton and he was very rough, this bloke has real potential.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Had a few good moments in the first half. Not a terrible start to his career with us. 

This for me. In flashes you could see yesterday what we can look forward to - a player that will cover ground, can have a battle, he'll look to receive the ball at all times, is happy to pass the ball on but is equally as willing to move forward with it himself.

Looks understandably rusty and like he's getting up to speed with PL football, but the signs are good.