IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Considering the stats were used to show Lukaku and Ganas strengths, that stat, if true, is quite damning considering Gylfis first role is to create with his passing. 

you missed my sarcasm.  stats can prove anything you want.  the same stats show lukaku is crap show hes amazing, its in the eye of the beholder.  that was my point.  we will see how it goes without gylfi and how it does with him, end of the campaign and see if he is the root of all our problems (like some thought gana was).

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

you missed my sarcasm.  stats can prove anything you want.  the same stats show lukaku is crap show hes amazing, its in the eye of the beholder.  that was my point.  we will see how it goes without gylfi and how it does with him, end of the campaign and see if he is the root of all our problems (like some thought gana was).

Sorry, long day(s)

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Even though I was glad we signed him over Zaha I wasn’t exactly hot on us sighing him, but tonight was another very promising showing from him. He’s positive in everything he does, there’s not a backwards step, and that’s exactly what we need more of from our midfield. 

I felt the same and agree entirely I’d even go so far as saying I was even pleasantly surprised with Delph (without taking it off topic). 

Just now, barryj said:

I felt the same and agree entirely I’d even go so far as saying I was even pleasantly surprised with Delph (without taking it off topic). 

Can’t agree on Delph. I thought he looked, understandably, rusty. A few loose touches that could’ve cost us. 

I’ll judge him more once he’s fully fit. 

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Can’t agree on Delph. I thought he looked, understandably, rusty. A few loose touches that could’ve cost us. 

I’ll judge him more once he’s fully fit. 

Jury is still out for me but I was saying I was pleasantly surprised based on his recent injury and it being his first competitive game. I’ve never been a huge fan and wasn’t keen on this signing. 

Thought Alex Iwobi was full of energy, pace, and very direct and positive with his style of play against Lincoln. It's too early to judge yet of course, but if he can put in regular, consistent performances like that against Premier League opposition, I will be very happy indeed. 

I agree with all the above. Always asking for the ball and always looking to do something positive with it. He's more direct than I thought. I like his attitude and hopefully he can spark some life into our attacking play. Good to see him get off the mark too as I'm sure he's been asked to score more goals than he was doing at Arsenal. Deserved his goal tonight.

Seems to have slotted in with the club and his team mates straight away. He’s already a crowd favourite with his own song. Bet he never had one at Arsenal. He’s impressed me in both performances. Always wants the ball and is dangerous all around the forward line. Sounds silly I know but for £28 mill he looks a really good bit of business 

30 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Seems to have slotted in with the club and his team mates straight away. He’s already a crowd favourite with his own song. Bet he never had one at Arsenal. He’s impressed me in both performances. Always wants the ball and is dangerous all around the forward line. Sounds silly I know but for £28 mill he looks a really good bit of business 

He has good touch/skill too.

I think he'll be able to help us break down teams that play compactly.

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

What's the song? Think he had a chant at Arsenal to the tune of "I like to move it"

Edited by plaidharper
addition

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Aidan said:

Allowed the team to play in a completely different way today and was involved so much more than Sigurdsson has been.

It's almost as if when siggy plays we have 10 men on the pitch and 1 other who can score a screamer every now and then.

He had a bit of a brain fart infront of goal but I know he normally would take chances like that. He looks like hes got real quality and will be a threat to Siggys position this sesaon.

Finally a CAM with a bit of pace and the ability the dribble the ball.

Completely agree but I don’t think he would’ve been able to with Delph and Morgan behind him. I don’t think Siggy would look anywhere near as bad with Davis and Gomes behind him

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Completely agree but I don’t think he would’ve been able to with Delph and Morgan behind him. I don’t think Siggy would look anywhere near as bad with Davis and Gomes behind him

You might not find this unsurprising but I disagree with that. The difference in movement between Iwobi/Richarlison and then DCL/Siggy was huge.  Iwobi in particular made it so easy for anyone behind him (Davies, Gomes and the back 4) to get the ball forward quickly. He was stifling Richarlison and he was dragging Rice all over the pitch.

Yesterday Davies / Gomes played a combined 87 passes of which 55 were played forward = 63%. Richarlison and Iwobi touched the ball 96 times.

Against City Delph / Schneiderlin played a combined 80 passes of which 49 were forward = 61%. DCL and Siggy touched the ball 78 times.

Digne and Coleman played 30 more forward passes against West Ham than against City.

Against City we had only 37% and yet against West Ham we had 52% possession but they only played 6 less forward passes. This says everything about the type of team we were playing against in both of those games. It's so much easier for us to move the ball forward against the teams that attack us. Would Davies and Gomes be able to play as many easy forward passes against Burnley, Villa or Sheff Utd?

The starting 4 up front played 72 forward passes against West Ham but only 45 against City. That is partly due to the team they were playing but it also highlights how many more options those players had in front of them, and therefore how much more space they enjoyed. Just as a contrast in the Sheffield Utd game they played 74 forward passes despite 70% possession and against Villa they played 63 forward passes despite 65% possession.

I certainly wouldn't argue with anyone who said you would expect more forward passes from Davies and Gomes than Schneiderlin but people should appreciate the team we were playing and how that suited the football they played. When we go back to playing teams that park the bus and sit with two banks of four we will still come up against the same problems whether it be Delph, Schneiderlin, Gomes, Davies, Gbamin or anyone else you want to name, unless the movement in front of them is a lot better than it had been prior to yesterdays game.

The potential problem I see with Davies and Gomes is defensively. They did well yesterday but weren't really tested however Fornals scuffed a good chance when Davies should have been dropping in between the ball and the player. Fortunately that was one of the only times they ran past our midfield. Next weekend, Brighton will come out and play from what I have seen of them and that will be a big test away from home. I think we will still have the space to play our game but I think that midfield will be tested a lot more.

37 minutes ago, Matt said:

I thought you might :) the litmus test will be Iwobi in front of Delph and Morgan and see if he still has the space to make the most of. Likewise if Siggy gets to play in front of Davis and Gomes. 

agreed.  also it was one good game for iwobi.  he's been very inconsistent and has missed a bunch of sitters this year.  i'm not ready to crown iwobi a solution just yet.  walcott looked good when he came here for a couple games and we all know how that turned out.

On 20/10/2019 at 13:03, Matt said:

I thought you might :) the litmus test will be Iwobi in front of Delph and Morgan and see if he still has the space to make the most of. Likewise if Siggy gets to play in front of Davis and Gomes. 

Well Siggy in front of Davies and Gomes didnt exactly encourage expansive play against Brighton.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Neither did Iwobi in the opening 30 either 

Bernard having to go off and moving Iwobi to slot Sig in killed us. I thought that by the point Bernard went off we were well on our way to being comfortably able to impose ourselves on the game. The injury, and subsequent changes, stopped that momentum in it's tracks and we never recovered.

Longer studs for Bernard in future please!