IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

28 minutes ago, pete0 said:

As C1982 says Iwobi did his job yesterday. I'd add he done well getting the ball to safety after being passed the ball when he had a player breathing down his neck a few times as well. 

It’s just sad because when he came here he had very high energy levels, would receive it back to goal inside our half and carry us forward. Now he looks slow and absent ideas on how to even get on the ball. 

I just don’t think he’s a wide player at all - west ham was his best game by far.

2 minutes ago, Btay said:

It’s just sad because when he came here he had very high energy levels, would receive it back to goal inside our half and carry us forward. Now he looks slow and absent ideas on how to even get on the ball. 

I just don’t think he’s a wide player at all - west ham was his best game by far.

He would definitely be better in a central diamond formation. Not worried about his stamina, all that will come back and it’s going to have hit most players. 

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

He would definitely be better in a central diamond formation. Not worried about his stamina, all that will come back and it’s going to have hit most players. 

Felt like his energy dropped before the break though.

Honeslty have no issue with something like this against Norwich as the midfield.

Iwobi          Gomes

Davies

2 hours ago, StevO said:

Not even close to Walcott’s level for me. 

agreed and i'm one of walcott's biggest detractors.  Walcott offers pace and running the channels, he may be awful on the ball and at finishing, but he stretches the opposition and gives us width and a runner.  iwobi offers nothing except a decent long range shot ala barkley.  i have the feeling he was bought for Marco but doesn't fit info Carlo's formation/style at all.  I'd be happy to see him sold, we paid like 30m for him!

4 hours ago, c1982 said:

In his defence - he was playing a ‘defensive’ role yesterday. His role was more of a containing brief which he and mainly Coleman achieved. Had he been fit, Sidibe would have been much better suited. Yes, he was non-existent, but I’d say he put decent effort in a role that he doesn’t really suit at all.

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

There is that but if the tactic was to nullify Liverpool’s threat (which most have failed to do), then I think we did it quite well and actually can feel a little unlucky that we didn’t snatch it. Iwobi, ironically, could have been the one to snatch it for us had Richarlison shown more awareness and squared it when Iwobi would have had an open goal to shoot at.

He wasn't playing a defensive role. He had to contribute all round. He got far too deep tracking James bloody Milner and then Joe frigging Gomes. This wasn't Robertson rampaging up and down the wing. 

The problem we had, which he was a part of, was that we couldn't keep the ball. He ended up in what you have described as a "defensive" role because he did more defending than attacking. 

I was hoping for a much bigger performance from him after the break. He really needs to find some form ASAP.

46 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He wasn't playing a defensive role. He had to contribute all round. He got far too deep tracking James bloody Milner and then Joe frigging Gomes. This wasn't Robertson rampaging up and down the wing. 

The problem we had, which he was a part of, was that we couldn't keep the ball. He ended up in what you have described as a "defensive" role because he did more defending than attacking. 

I was hoping for a much bigger performance from him after the break. He really needs to find some form ASAP.

The whole team did more defending than attacking. It was clearly a tactic to defend, restrict and contain - then maybe try and snatch something on the counter that we very nearly did. I’m not suggesting Iwobi had a good game, I’m just stating that, that isn’t a role/discipline he excels in. It’d be unfair to judge many against this Liverpool team as they’ve made much better players look average.

3 hours ago, StevO said:

Not even close to Walcott’s level for me. 

As a right winger in a 4-4-2, I’d pick Walcott over Iwobi too. Iwobi excels as an inside forward from the left or free role centrally - maybe he just doesn’t fit into Ancelotti’s Everton.

9 hours ago, c1982 said:

In his defence - he was playing a ‘defensive’ role yesterday. His role was more of a containing brief which he and mainly Coleman achieved. Had he been fit, Sidibe would have been much better suited. Yes, he was non-existent, but I’d say he put decent effort in a role that he doesn’t really suit at all.

This also backs up your point 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/carlo-ancelotti-fixed-marco-silvas-18466136

6 hours ago, c1982 said:

The whole team did more defending than attacking. It was clearly a tactic to defend, restrict and contain - then maybe try and snatch something on the counter that we very nearly did. I’m not suggesting Iwobi had a good game, I’m just stating that, that isn’t a role/discipline he excels in. It’d be unfair to judge many against this Liverpool team as they’ve made much better players look average.

Apologies I have just re-read and realised I mistook "we" for "he" so I see that you weren't excusing his performance.

Iwobi is an experienced player now, he has to find a way to transition his game from defence to attack in that 442 role. He got too deep, too often and then when it came to him he was stuck and it felt like the times he did get the ball he gave it away. 

Like most of the team he did well at cutting the passing lanes but that's a tribute to the manager rather than the player.

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

. He got too deep, too often and then when it came to him he was stuck and it felt like the times he did get the ball he gave it away. 

I noticed similar but for me if he's stuck that means his teammates aren't showing for the ball. Even then when he had nothing on he lost the ball safely giving the team time to regroup. 

9 hours ago, c1982 said:

As a right winger in a 4-4-2, I’d pick Walcott over Iwobi too. Iwobi excels as an inside forward from the left or free role centrally - maybe he just doesn’t fit into Ancelotti’s Everton.

I hope you’re right, but I’ve never seen him excel at all in a blue shirt. 
Bernard can offer more on the left (though he can’t play away from home) and doesn’t seem Carlo wants to play with that central position, so not sure what the future holds for Iwobi right now. Though I can’t see him leaving. 

• 1 month later...

Picked out as being one of the worst buys of the season.

Alex Iwobi: 

The winger was a breath of fresh air when he burst into the Arsenal team for the first time. However, it was really no surprise to see the north Londoners cash in on a mega £35m for the Nigerian last summer.

It's safe to say that the Gunners aren't missing him. Everton royally wasted their money on Iwobi who scored just once and failed to contribute a single assist in 2019/20. He is just 24 but you have to feel he is lacking the potential to make it an adequate level

16 hours ago, Bill said:

Alex Iwobi: 

The winger was a breath of fresh air when he burst into the Arsenal team for the first time. However, it was really no surprise to see the north Londoners cash in on a mega £35m for the Nigerian last summer.

It's safe to say that the Gunners aren't missing him. Everton royally wasted their money on Iwobi who scored just once and failed to contribute a single assist in 2019/20. He is just 24 but you have to feel he is lacking the potential to make it an adequate level

Not saying their point isn’t valid but but bad research by journalists immediately makes me switch off. 

I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment, he’s definitely got ability I personally think he’s come into a team that lacked any real direction in the midfield with a lot of MF players not up to the standard required, hopefully with some new additions and Ancelotti’s direction we may see what he is capable of. 
But I maybe completely wrong and he doesn’t improve next season. 

At Arsenal he had players round him making runs, playing flowing football. Something out team need to work massively on. Him and Walcott are a level above with the football coaching they've received. They mightn't be as gifted as say bernard but they understand how to play football better.

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment, he’s definitely got ability I personally think he’s come into a team that lacked any real direction in the midfield with a lot of MF players not up to the standard required, hopefully with some new additions and Ancelotti’s direction we may see what he is capable of. 
But I maybe completely wrong and he doesn’t improve next season. 

I agree with this, easy to bash Iwobi, still  young and just moved to new club and city. I can understand the signing -  a younger more affordable winger than Zaha, with the potential to develop. I think most would suport this strategy. 

The middle of the park has been painful at time this year, not a platform for any of our wide players to flourish from really. We have been very unlucky with Gbmain and Delph injuries - the two people brought in too toughen up the midfield have been unavailable through injury for most of the season.

Although, many performances have not been great. I think it too early too through the towel in yet on Iwobi. 

20 hours ago, Bill said:

Alex Iwobi: 

It was £28m rising to a possible £34m with add ons according to the BBC.

.https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49282957

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

At Arsenal he had players round him making runs, playing flowing football. Something out team need to work massively on. Him and Walcott are a level above with the football coaching they've received. They mightn't be as gifted as say bernard but they understand how to play football better.

Walcott is one of the worst "thinking" footballers around. All he knows how to do is make forward runs and half of the time he is offside with them. 

53 minutes ago, Palfy said:

That’s not the same Walcott I’ve been watching for me his Achilles heel has been his final ball, but his general play has been better than most, he moves and makes himself available he tracks back and helps his RB out, he still has a fair bit of pace and has one the best engines in the team. 
Strange how we can be so far apart with our opinions on certain players. 

He might track back but its a basic command with him, not like Richarlison who sniffs a bit of danger on the counter attack and will be one of the first back. He switches off so often too.

A poor final means he either has poor technique or poor decision making and for me he has good technique and therefore again its between the ears. The number of times he gets into good positions and picks the wrong option is far too often. 

His moves are also on the whole average. He makes good counter attacking moves but he doesn't make "clever" runs. They are runs programmed into him because of his pace. He has no idea how to time them most of the time. A guy with his pack should rarely be offside. I commented on his movement the other day too when he just ran at Kean who was already under a lot of pressure. It was the dumbest things he could have done because Kean could have passed the ball to him, he blocked off a deeper ball to the full back and he dragged another defender to box Kean out. I remember someone commented on Kean losing the ball but he had nothing on because of Walcott being thick as shit.