IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

I agree, I think Bernard is all but gone, will be very surprise if he is still here at the end of January.

I always felt for Iwobi last season - he came last minute in the transfer window and dumped straight in to a weak and struggling team, with Silva then gone two months later. then he was injured and then the stop start of lockdown etc. Not ideal conditions for any new arrival to join a club. 

It is surprising how involved he has been in a lot of the goals we have scored this season. 

I would just like to see him as a little more of a goal threat - Given his position, he should really be aiming for double figures as a season goal tally. 

8 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I agree, I think Bernard is all but gone, will be very surprise if he is still here at the end of January.

I always felt for Iwobi last season - he came last minute in the transfer window and dumped straight in to a weak and struggling team, with Silva then gone two months later. then he was injured and then the stop start of lockdown etc. Not ideal conditions for any new arrival to join a club. 

It is surprising how involved he has been in a lot of the goals we have scored this season. 

I would just like to see him as a little more of a goal threat - Given his position, he should really be aiming for double figures as a season goal tally. 

He also needs to work on his final ball. He gets himself into some excellent positions and then messes up the cross/pass.

23 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

We have a lot more pressing needs (DM, RB, Striker, Richarlison rotation player) than getting rid of Bernard.  He is a solid bench piece, I wouldn’t get rid unless he puts in notice.

Iwobi and Gordon can play that position. He is on £100k a week to sit on his arse so if we got £10 mill say and get rid of his wages then we have to be all over that to bring in someone in the positions you mention 

4 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Iwobi and Gordon can play that position. He is on £100k a week to sit on his arse so if we got £10 mill say and get rid of his wages then we have to be all over that to bring in someone in the positions you mention 

Ok you’ve convinced me, I didn’t realize we could get  that much for him!  Thought it was gonna be 2-3m or something.

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

Be surprised if anyone would pay 10m for him mate, you could buy an average player for that! 😉

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Ok you’ve convinced me, I didn’t realize we could get  that much for him!  Thought it was gonna be 2-3m or something.

Seeing as Finn doesn't work for Everton or negotiate transfers it seems pretty fucking stupid to flip your opinion based on what he thinks :lol: (or anyone on here for that matter!).

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Seeing as Finn doesn't work for Everton or negotiate transfers it seems pretty fucking stupid to flip your opinion based on what he thinks :lol: (or anyone on here for that matter!).

I was being sarcastic.  Truthfully if we can get a decent chunk for him sure sel him, I’m not convinced we can.

I’d rather have Bernard in the squad. Yeah, he’s on good wages, but we paid nothing for him. He’s probably earned about £12m over the last two years, but we paid almost £30m for Iwobi and probably paid him £6m in wages and it’s taken until this winter for him to turn up. 
If we were to sell Bernard, and got £10m for him, we would have to bring in better. Im not sure we would manage that in January. He’s a decent squad player for me. 
But if he really wants to go, then hopefully we have got our ducks in a row. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/1967443/iwobi-i-want-to-fight-for-not-just-me-but-the-hundreds-of-thousands-of-evertonians

This isn't aimed at Iwobi, but our players are very good at talking (which is nice, don't get me wrong) but when it comes to actions they repeatedly fall short. Time to change that, blues.

Consistency is key. Too many players have a good game followed by 2/3 average ones.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the stats show that not only was he a constant threat with his link up play and runs, but also that he covered the most ground in an Everton shirt. 

The run he went on deep into their half toward the end of the game was massive for us. It gave us time to get organised again and made Wolves have to come from very deep, wasting more time.

The lad is definitely growing in confidence. Big kudos for his goal - he started the move (which he actually does quite often with his tendency to look for balls forward rather than sideways) and a couple of passes later put the ball in the net. Goals is one think that is been missing from his game, so I am hoping this further improve his confidence in front of the sticks.

We definitely need our wide player to be at least knocking on the door of double figure goal tallies in a season, if we seriously want to be consistently trying to finish in the top 4. His career club stats have in pretty consistent at a goal every 10 games (at both Arsenal and with us)  - think he should be looking to improve that to least every 7 games or better. Will be interesting to see how he fairs between now and the end of the season now he has properly settled in and the team are playing quite well. 

I am pleased for him as he seems a very likable fella and I think he unfairly got a lot of stick last year during what was a very turbulent season at Everton (for many a reason).

On 13/01/2021 at 09:20, Romey 1878 said:

The run he went on deep into their half toward the end of the game was massive for us. It gave us time to get organised again and made Wolves have to come from very deep, wasting more time.

It did, I just wish he improves his overall decision making. He did all that good work but then didn’t look up and crossed it in to an empty box and possession was lost. In the time he made the run two players had managed to get forward (not as far as the box) and we could have kept the ball better. He’s definitely improved but I hope what we have now isn’t the end product.   

3 hours ago, barryj said:

It did, I just wish he improves his overall decision making. He did all that good work but then didn’t look up and crossed it in to an empty box and possession was lost. In the time he made the run two players had managed to get forward (not as far as the box) and we could have kept the ball better. He’s definitely improved but I hope what we have now isn’t the end product.   

Thought exactly the same. Did everything right running to the corner, but then wasted it. Should have just held on and played for a foul or corner.

Had a really good game though. He is getting better all the time. 

My biggest gripe is that he COULD drive us forward much more, he often has the opportunity but seems to decide to wait for the defenders to catch up first. 
For all Richarlisons faults, he does this very well. Just drives forward and gets a foul, or creates an attack.

Im hoping it’s just a confidence thing with him, and after he has taken a few more players on, he might find he is better at it than he realises.

Growing on me now.

• 1 month later...

I was really hoping we would see a much better player this season. We have seen it in fits and starts, but their needs to be more consistent performances from him. Crossing is generally poor and he doesnt get enough goals for me. Need wide attacking players to be a genuine goal threat, and unfortunately he isn't. I would love to see him come good, but I don't think he is a player that is going to make us a regular top 4/6 contender in the coming years. 

If any reasonable offer came in, I would move him on, otherwise he is a squad player at best for me.