IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

14 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

didn't rate him at arsenal, don't rate him here, sell and get rid.  would rather see anthony gordon out there doing fuck all than this guy

I think his arrival was a suprise to all of us, and I dont think anybody had him on his their 'wish' list. I get a feeling he was one of those player who was young and had the right 'stats' for the profile of player needed. An element of gamble in his purchase, he either kicks on and becomes top draw or never fills his potential. I will give anybody the benefit of the doubt, but like I said not looking like he is going to be the player that will make us competative at the level we are aiming for. 

35 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I think his arrival was a suprise to all of us, and I dont think anybody had him on his their 'wish' list. I get a feeling he was one of those player who was young and had the right 'stats' for the profile of player needed. An element of gamble in his purchase, he either kicks on and becomes top draw or never fills his potential. I will give anybody the benefit of the doubt, but like I said not looking like he is going to be the player that will make us competative at the level we are aiming for. 

I couldn’t tell if it was a brands or Silva signing.  Didn’t make a lot of sense.  Still doesn’t.  Similar to the delph signing.

Last comment I will make in this thread as it’s getting like ground hog day.

just not good enough for premier league.

The guy hasn’t got a footballing brain.

Digne will swing the ball in from the left obviously aiming for DCL and where is Iwobi!! Stuck on the touch line!! Time and time again the guy doesn’t shuffle across. 

His distribution is woeful and his positioning  and awareness of opposition when defending is non existent.

He’s not good enough to be a squad player.

sorry Alex, you might be the nicest guy in the world but you’re not good enough for the blue shirt. 

6 minutes ago, milesey05 said:

Last comment I will make in this thread as it’s getting like ground hog day.

just not good enough for premier league.

The guy hasn’t got a footballing brain.

Digne will swing the ball in from the left obviously aiming for DCL and where is Iwobi!! Stuck on the touch line!! Time and time again the guy doesn’t shuffle across. 

His distribution is woeful and his positioning  and awareness of opposition when defending is non existent.

He’s not good enough to be a squad player.

sorry Alex, you might be the nicest guy in the world but you’re not good enough for the blue shirt. 

"Shuffle" describes his movement perfectly.

I didn't think he was any worse that Richie tonight and Iwobi was playing out of position. 

I still don't think he has much of a footballing brain but it is pointless judging his ability on games like today because he spends more time defending. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I didn't think he was any worse that Richie tonight and Iwobi was playing out of position. 

I still don't think he has much of a footballing brain but it is pointless judging his ability on games like today because he spends more time defending. 

Richy offers a goal threat even in his worst games. Iwobi just doesn’t put any fear into teams. 

37 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I disagree, he must terrify his own team. "What dangerous position is he going to give the ball away in this time?"

Its a shame. When he signed it was unexpected but he was positive at Arsenal. Get the ball on the half turn and carry his team forward with power and pace. Big money on a player who has really failed to deliver.

7 hours ago, Btay said:

Its a shame. When he signed it was unexpected but he was positive at Arsenal. Get the ball on the half turn and carry his team forward with power and pace. Big money on a player who has really failed to deliver.

He’s morphed in to a crab when he has the ball, the only decent bits are where he seems to want to only run from right to left, and possibly slightly back towards goal, I can’t remember the last time he tried to take a man on down the wing and then put a decent cross in. It’s totally confusing me, the last game he played at Goodison for Arsenal, he came on as a sub and was the only player in their team to run at our defence and cause a few problems, he just doesn’t do it here, and his defensive positional sense is poor, as for putting a tackle in that’s for defenders surely not him ( or so it seems)

Ive said it in the match thread, he’s passed up many chances to impress, and hasn’t, time we cut our losses in the summer and move him on.

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

What is his position though? 
For me he’s a winger and not a very good one. I’ve seen people say he should be a number ten, but he doesn’t have the creativity for me, he’s played as a wingback and had some joy running from deep. Wingback is probably where he’s had his best games for us in my opinion (apart from the odd decent performance against lower league teams in cup ties), but he’s not good enough in any of these positions. 

I'm not prepared to call time on him yet.

If we could recoup his fee and a better player was available for less then yep let's do it.

There is potential with him as he does have ability but I just don't think he has a carved out role. Can he become a right back?  Maybe, he seems to switch off which makes him a risk.

I think the issue with iwobi is his fee but I think Arsenal knew he had a high ceiling.  Similar to lookman in ways - if you can tap into the talent then you've got a player. 

15 hours ago, Btay said:

Richy offers a goal threat even in his worst games. Iwobi just doesn’t put any fear into teams. 

That is true but Richarlison is played as a second striker whereas Iwobi is more or a right wing back.

5 hours ago, StevO said:

What is his position though? 
For me he’s a winger and not a very good one. I’ve seen people say he should be a number ten, but he doesn’t have the creativity for me, he’s played as a wingback and had some joy running from deep. Wingback is probably where he’s had his best games for us in my opinion (apart from the odd decent performance against lower league teams in cup ties), but he’s not good enough in any of these positions. 

Good question and the answer is that I am not sure.

Iwobi's best attributes are that he has a bit of size and speed and he can beat a man with a trick. He isn't lightening quick or anything like that but he can use that burst of pace and size to get past his man. He is probably the only player capable of doing that in the side. I thought his best game for us was as a 10 against West Ham, but my own personal view is that this type of player needs to be a competent midfielder too.

If I managed Iwobi, I would want him to play 1 v 1 against the fullback as a winger and to take him on time and time again. Whether you want him on the left or right would depend on whether you were looking for him to score or cross for others. I think he played most of his time for Arsenal on the left. He certainly played more centrally and left than he did on the right.

I definitely wouldn't want him to play as a defender because he doesn't do it very well, unsurprisingly for a winger from the Arsenal academy!

The jury is still well and truly out on him but I don't think you could play anyone else in that position and them do much better. One of the reason James was moved centrally is because he was becoming a problem for us in that role. It is more of a problem with our tactical set up than anything else at the moment, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I think he will shine when we set up more to suit him.

40 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Wow Everton lose so kick the shit out of one player, he was far from the only player who didn’t perform to their best, and far from our worst player in the team.  

I don't think he's getting the shit kicked out of him, but his bad performances have far outweighed his good ones. If he really is having a slight at Ancelotti then he needs a wake up call. 

15 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

I don't think he's getting the shit kicked out of him, but his bad performances have far outweighed his good ones. If he really is having a slight at Ancelotti then he needs a wake up call. 

How if he did say he wants to or hope’s to play in his preferred position for his country is that a dig at Ancelotti, what a load of rubbish that is, publish the transcript of the interview so we can all judge whether that was a dig at Ancelotti ?

7 minutes ago, c1982 said:

It may not be a dig at Ancelotti, it may simply be him defending/excusing his poor performances of late by saying ‘I’d play better in whatever position’. It’s not a very clever thing to do regardless. Look at Godfrey and Holgate - similar aged lads who have also been generally used ‘out of position’ - yes, it may be easier for them in a generally defensively solid team but they’ve just knuckled down and got on with it and have done well in most games.

I agree with your opinion of Godfrey but not Holgate he’s had more poor games than good. 

24 minutes ago, Palfy said:

How if he did say he wants to or hope’s to play in his preferred position for his country is that a dig at Ancelotti, what a load of rubbish that is, publish the transcript of the interview so we can all judge whether that was a dig at Ancelotti ?

I didn't personally see the post, so maybe it's unfair of me to judge Iwobi on that. My point still stands though; he hasn't really shown anything to warrant any sort of criticism of any one beyond himself. I like that he runs at the opposition, but I honestly don't know what he offers beyond that at this point. It's certainly not end-product. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

Always an honour to get called up for the national team. 🤞 I get to play in my preferred position.

https://instagram.com/alexanderiwobi?igshid=1e2qxdknr17hi

It's in his story yesterday. Little videos of him scoring for his country followed my that message. After that a gym workout. 

Personally don't think it's a dig at the club. He's also wearing a cool hoodie with a cartoon version of himself as an Everton, Nigeria and Arsenal player. Loads of Everton and Arsenal stuff in his gym.