IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

I was really hoping Iwobi would have kicked on this season. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last season, with it being a late move and all the COVID disruption. 

However, it just seems to me that he just doesn't have 'it' - Doesn't really go at defenders and give them much to worry about, his crosses and final delivery are generally poor (must be quite frustrating for other attacking players in the box) and doesn't have an sort of eye for goal. I don't think any opposition defences really overly worry about him as an attacking threat.  I know he has not had a great deal of help on the right hand side of the pitch in an attacking sense, but I don't think that would improve his overall quality in these areas I have mentioned with a bit more help in that area of the pitch.

Our problem this season has been lack of creativity and domination of teams when we look to play offensively. We are not stretching teams.

If you look at our offensive players who have had decent playing time - DCL, Richy, Gylfi, James and Iwobi (will not include King or Bernard as not played many minutes). The first 4 have a fairly decent amount of goals and assists (always room for improvement), but Iwobi's number are just a little bit on the low side - a couple more goals or assists could have made a big different this season. 3-4 points maybe!! 

When Iwobi has the ball in the final third of the pitch - it doesn't generally have you on the edge of your seats. If he is on the bench - you don't think 'get Iwobi on - he might do something to unlock this game'.  

He is definitely not turning out to be the player we (or Brands) probably hoped he would be. However, generally Brands transfers have been good, and you are always going to get the odd few that don't works out, I think Iwobi is just going to be one of them. 

I don't dislike the lad, and was hoping he would do well with us and maybe be the next 'Zaha' type of player - but is just not happened, and with each game I see him, I don't think its going to happen either. 

If we got a half decent enough offer let him go.  I think Iwobi needs to be playing week in week out in order to get the best out of him, but I don't think he is good enough to play week in week out for a team that has European aspirations. Mid table team player at best. 

I think a right sides attaching player will very much be on Ancelotti's wish list come the summer. 

Let's put it this way .... For a player to petulantly post bullshit on their Instagram in relation to their favoured position - which was piss poor btw.  

I would expect to see a marked improvement in their performance and effort as a result of the manager giving them their wish.

I didn't see anything that justified his pathetic Instagram. 

I've been supportive of iwobi but I think it appears he is part of the weak minded nonsense that sees us play so inconsistently.   

I wouldn't be arsed to see him be sold. 

On 14/03/2021 at 17:31, Bailey said:

Give him a chance, he had about 20 minutes before he was moved wide. He was arguably the best player on the pitch at that point.

My biggest issue with him is end product. Some people quote dribble statistics or the fancy bit of play by the corner flag but I concentrate on the numerous great chances he’s had to cross and they’ve been woeful. He’s energetic around the opposition box and can see a pass but the execution is normally poor. When he does get it to the player it’s often fired in to them at a speed making it almost impossible to control. 

At the moment I’m just not seeing a player of that value and quality to our side. Love to be proved wrong but suspect I’ll be right. 

Iwobi and bernard simply do not provide enough goals or assist.

Can only compare then as a type of player to Pienarr but his ability to “pre assist” you could say far out weighs both theirs.

I love the sentiment of this club and everything we stand for but we need to be ruthless and move a few more on. As mentioned before - our stars need to become the average quality of the squad if we want to compete with Champions league.

Before his purple patch Richarlison had 2 goals and 5 assists (3 in one match v wba). Sigurdsson has 4 goals (2 pens) and 4 assists (at least one of them was from a set pieces). 

Digne, James, and DCL are the only ones who have performed well offensively. 

Absolutely pathetic some fans. 20% is perfectly fine*. Manipulative to use Holgate as the comparison. Worst thing is the so called fan looking up that stat would have seen Richarlison's 6% (which is genuinely concerning), but they're not actually arsed about the stat they just want something to kick Iwobi with as he's the new whipping boy. Let's bully him out the club eh.

*the league average is as low as 18.9%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.transfermarkt.co.uk/best-cross-accuracy-only-three-premier-league-players-in-top-20-davies-13th/amp/news/359039

42 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Absolutely pathetic some fans. 20% is perfectly fine*. Manipulative to use Holgate as the comparison. Worst thing is the so called fan looking up that stat would have seen Richarlison's 6% (which is genuinely concerning), but they're not actually arsed about the stat they just want something to kick Iwobi with as he's the new whipping boy. Let's bully him out the club eh.

*the league average is as low as 18.9%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.transfermarkt.co.uk/best-cross-accuracy-only-three-premier-league-players-in-top-20-davies-13th/amp/news/359039

That puts it a bit more into perspective. Not that I’m trying to defend his poor crossing in the Burnley game 0/5 is not good enough, but some of the crosses from Digne who is famed for his crossing abilities were equally as bad, nothing mentioned so it would seem the new Walcott has been found in Iwobi, well they did both come from Arsenal so that must be it. 

His crossing is poor and statistics can be used to try and prove all sorts of arguments. Completion usually means that it makes contact with an Everton player following a cross and that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good cross. Also what is their definition of a cross? It feels to me that when he passes a ball into the box along the floor he’s much more accurate than when he crosses aerially.

Perspective is:

Digne’s crossing while bad, was still crossing.

Richarlisons crossing is nonexistent as he is generally trying to get into the box, not crossing.

League average includes centre half’s, centre forwards, central midfielders ect.

Iwobi didn’t even attempt a cross, even when having ample opportunity to do so.

21 minutes ago, StevO said:

I don’t need stats to know that Iwobi doesn’t contribute enough to our attacking threat. I’ve got my own two eyes to tell me he is poor, that he can’t get a decent cross into the box, that he isn’t a number ten, that we have other players who should play before him and that he needs to be upgraded on. 
Keep your stats. Iwobi just isn’t good enough. 

I wish I could give you 100 upvotes for this. 

On 16/03/2021 at 07:51, barryj said:

My biggest issue with him is end product. Some people quote dribble statistics or the fancy bit of play by the corner flag but I concentrate on the numerous great chances he’s had to cross and they’ve been woeful. He’s energetic around the opposition box and can see a pass but the execution is normally poor. When he does get it to the player it’s often fired in to them at a speed making it almost impossible to control. 

At the moment I’m just not seeing a player of that value and quality to our side. Love to be proved wrong but suspect I’ll be right. 

I do agree about your comments in general. He isn't bringing enough to the table but very few have from an attacking perspective. He showed at Arsenal that he does have all of that in his locker when given the platform to play. Unfortunately he hasn't improved since he played for them and in fact, he has got worse.

I can see why the scouts went after him because he does have a lot of good qualities but he is really struggling to show them at the moment. One thing for sure is that he isn't a consistent crosser of the ball and that is why he mainly played central or on the left for Arsenal as his best performances have come when he is cutting inside, linking the play and coming onto his right foot.

Iwobi has certainly done nothing to suggest he offers the value and quality to this side that you mention. At the same time I think there is more to get out of him that we have seen so far in an Everton shirt.