IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

I’ll be most curious to see what his role in the team is, especially when the players he’s looking to displace (Bernard, Richarlison and Sigurdsson) have all been big signings too. 

Most of the talk I ever hear about him is that he’s more of an attacking mid that’s been forced to play out wide for most of his career. He’s supposed to be pretty intelligent with his passing compared to most wide players for instance. He could make for a more mobile alternative to Gylfi that most of us have been crying out for. 

38 minutes ago, Vranny said:

I’ll be most curious to see what his role in the team is, especially when the players he’s looking to displace (Bernard, Richarlison and Sigurdsson) have all been big signings too. 

Most of the talk I ever hear about him is that he’s more of an attacking mid that’s been forced to play out wide for most of his career. He’s supposed to be pretty intelligent with his passing compared to most wide players for instance. He could make for a more mobile alternative to Gylfi that most of us have been crying out for. 

the arse forum posts said they thought he should be a CM or AM, they don't consider him a winger even though he was played on the left.  apparently for nigeria he plays through the middle and has said he likes that best.  could be the young guy supposed to give gylfi some competition?

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

the arse forum posts said they thought he should be a CM or AM, they don't consider him a winger even though he was played on the left.  apparently for nigeria he plays through the middle and has said he likes that best.  could be the young guy supposed to give gylfi some competition?

This is Everton, we don't pay 40 mil for bench warmers and backups. I think Silva has something up his sleeve.

7 hours ago, Btay said:

Why? 

He's a different kind of player. Hasn't got the ability to finish like Zaha has or make defenders as uneasy. Iwobi is great at retaining the ball and keeping possession but he's not going to create something out of nothing. 

Like I said before Lookman is not far off zahas ability and we've really just swapped Lookman for a player of similar ability  (in my opinion, no facts to back this up), but it's cost us 20m.

Bernard does the same job as Iwobi. We needed a left footed winger and I settled on Zaha due to his pure ability that could take us to the next level. 

It was a desperate signing, much like smalling or Rojo would have been and despite it being a well thought out window before the TDD it feels like the last day spoiled it a little bit and made me question the efficency of the club slightly. 

12 minutes ago, Aidan said:

He's a different kind of player. Hasn't got the ability to finish like Zaha has or make defenders as uneasy. Iwobi is great at retaining the ball and keeping possession but he's not going to create something out of nothing. 

Like I said before Lookman is not far off zahas ability and we've really just swapped Lookman for a player of similar ability  (in my opinion, no facts to back this up), but it's cost us 20m.

Bernard does the same job as Iwobi. We needed a left footed winger and I settled on Zaha due to his pure ability that could take us to the next level. 

It was a desperate signing, much like smalling or Rojo would have been and despite it being a well thought out window before the TDD it feels like the last day spoiled it a little bit and made me question the efficency of the club slightly. 

I disagree that lookman is closer to Zaha’s ability but each to their own! I really hope you end up surprised by this signing.

Zaha for 90mil would have had me really questioning the efficiency of this club though.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

I disagree that lookman is closer to Zaha’s ability but each to their own! I really hope you end up surprised by this signing.

Zaha for 90mil would have had me really questioning the efficiency of this club though.

Sorry for the confusion I mean Lookman is similar to iwobi. 

When I'm disappointed we sign an individual they usually prove me wrong and visa versa when I'm excited for a signing they usually flop 😂

Agreed though 90m would have been rediculous. They got everyone excited though didn't they?! 

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Very much disagree. He has the trickery, strength and pace to unsettle most! I know I’m going to refer to the highlight reel here, but one thing that stood out was his ability to turn people inside out, usually by nutmegging them.  

43 minutes ago, Mogsy said:

Problem with Bernard is his size for the physicality of the premier league, iwobi won’t be brushed of the ball as easily, so with iwobi we should hopefully keep the ball better in the final 3rd 

I haven’t really noticed that his size as caused him problems I would say quite the opposite, his low center of gravity and pace help him skin players, his biggest problem for me is his finishing it’s shit, that’s where I see Iwobi having an advantage over Bernard. 

11 hours ago, Vranny said:

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Marco in press conference says he will play on the left or can play behind the front man

What I read (and I have read a couple of different quotes about it) is that he will play on the left and cut inside behind the striker rather than being an AM. He will play like Bernard does cutting inside creating room for Digne to raid forward. Richie and Walcott are both more direct finishers in comparison.

2 hours ago, Mogsy said:

Problem with Bernard is his size for the physicality of the premier league, iwobi won’t be brushed of the ball as easily, so with iwobi we should hopefully keep the ball better in the final 3rd 

Size has never bothered Hazard, Silva, Mata, Ossie, etc. Balance, quick feet, close control can often beat bigger and stronger players. I agree they Iwobi is a lot stronger but from what I’ve seen he more often than not beats or holds off a player with skill rather than strength

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Size has never bothered Hazard, Silva, Mata, Ossie, etc. Balance, quick feet, close control can often beat bigger and stronger players. I agree they Iwobi is a lot stronger but from what I’ve seen he more often than not beats or holds off a player with skill rather than strength

Bernard is a weakling though. Tenacious and skillful but bigger lads just push him off the ball.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Sometimes but I’ve seen him dip under and turn out of the pressure several times too. Plus he’s not afraid to get stuck in 

Yeh he proper battles for such a little fella. Seen “stronger” guys pushed off easier because they have no mongrel. Needs to sharpen up his finishing though.

13 hours ago, Btay said:

Yeh he proper battles for such a little fella. Seen “stronger” guys pushed off easier because they have no mongrel. Needs to sharpen up his finishing though.

You're not kidding. That volley miss on an open net in one of the pre-season matches was atrocious. He probably still had time to wait for the half volley too.