IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Neither did Iwobi in the opening 30 either 

agreed.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Bernard having to go off and moving Iwobi to slot Sig in killed us. I thought that by the point Bernard went off we were well on our way to being comfortably able to impose ourselves on the game. The injury, and subsequent changes, stopped that momentum in it's tracks and we never recovered.

Longer studs for Bernard in future please!

yeah i think it was down to bernard really working that wing, Iwobi when he plays out left just drifts in and then jams up the middle and nullifies Gylfi by bringing all the defenders there.  Bernard stays out wide and spreads the team out, leaving space in the middle for Iwobi/Gylfi/ACM to work.  He will be a big miss, i don't rate iwobi.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Bernard having to go off and moving Iwobi to slot Sig in killed us. I thought that by the point Bernard went off we were well on our way to being comfortably able to impose ourselves on the game. The injury, and subsequent changes, stopped that momentum in it's tracks and we never recovered.

Longer studs for Bernard in future please!

Absolutely but we were really slow and hesitant even when he was on the pitch in general for the most part. 

He was probably the brightest spark in the team before he went off. I really hope it’s not as bad as it looks. 

• 1 month later...

Thoughts on him so far as were close to half season in. I was impressed with him in the first few games, but the last 6-7 I think he has been disappointing, runs around a fair bit, but often without any purpose or effect, and I can’t stand the throwing his hands up in the air if what he was trying to do doesn’t work out. I think he’s capable of far more, and hope it’s just been the piss poor Marco effect that’s stoped him from impressing.

23 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I'm a bit confused by him to be honest. He is clearly miles better through the middle but I doubt that was ultimately what we had in mind for him when he signed. 

I would still say he is our joint 2nd best wide player alongside Bernard. 

do you consider richarlison a wide player?  i'm guessing that's who you have as our number 1?  I dont' think i've seen enough of iwobi in the middle to rate him there.  i just know on the wing he's useless.  it's like gylif out there.  constantly drifting in and leaving the FB all alone with no outlet.  

He comes from Arsenal a player from the Wenger mould, so we should expect him to be good on the ball that’s how they developed their players, so he’s got the ability, we just need to give him the desire to work harder when he hasn’t got the ball, something he probably never got in his Arsenal day’s, when he gets that we will have a cracker. 

14 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

do you consider richarlison a wide player?  i'm guessing that's who you have as our number 1?  I dont' think i've seen enough of iwobi in the middle to rate him there.  i just know on the wing he's useless.  it's like gylif out there.  constantly drifting in and leaving the FB all alone with no outlet.  

Yeh Richarlison as number 1.

I don't think that reason makes a wide player useless. Pienaar made a career here out of doing just that. It's the same thing Bernard does too. Obviously it's not ideal if you want to play with two wingers hugging the touchline but he never was and never will be that player. 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

He is technically competent, can dribble, makes forward passes, great touch on him and he's young with a good attitude.

He's the type of player Klopp turns into a world beater. 

Exactly, now it’s down to the coaches to get the rest out of him. 

15 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He is technically competent, can dribble, makes forward passes, great touch on him and he's young with a good attitude.

He's the type of player Klopp turns into a world beater. 

Physically he is decent too. Stronger than your average winger and whilst he isn't rapid he certainly isn't slow either. There is no reason why he can't become a very good player with the right coaching.

24 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Disappointed over the last few games. Loved him at the start, but watching him on the pitch recently, he looks slow, doesn’t work hard, and isn’t really looking like creating. 

Hope he comes good tonight.

He is good in possession and his passing generally gets to the man, and are very positive in direction he’s always trying to get us on the front  foot. 
But you’re right he has struggled in the last few games work rate wise, but not with ability. 

Comfortably the worst player on the pitch last night and has been close to that for weeks now. I see people saying he's technically very good... well, sometimes he is. Often his touch is shocking, his passing can be extremely shite, he's very, very one footed which hinders him too.

Funny that Kean was subbed, and slammed by our fans, for not doing his job and not working hard, but Iwobi swans around putting no effort in and he's left on the pitch and no one really goes to town on his effort levels.

Started well but has steadily gotten worse. I hope there's a reversal soon because at the minute he's adding absolutely nothing.

Felt sorry for Iwobi against Leicester. Personally I think that's the worse I've seen him play, and the more frustrated he became with himself, the worse he got. Thinking ahead to the Arsenal game, I just hope he doesn't lose focus on Saturday by trying too hard against his former club.

7 hours ago, Heath said:

Felt sorry for Iwobi against Leicester. Personally I think that's the worse I've seen him play, and the more frustrated he became with himself, the worse he got. Thinking ahead to the Arsenal game, I just hope he doesn't lose focus on Saturday by trying too hard against his former club.

I think he's gassed.  Hoping against hope that we can start with both him and Bernard on the bench and bring them on later.

I don't think it's just a coincidence that both him and Bernard struggled. 

I saw a player trying to make an impact but struggling significantly to do so. 

Neither of them seem to have settled into what's needed for a wide player in a 442 formation. They have both played like guys who aren't sure of themselves and they are making silly errors as a result. 

In specific reference to Iwobi, he seemed a lot more confident and comfortable when he moved centrally against Utd. It was like a switch had flipped because he was shite beforehand. That says to me more that it's about his effectiveness in the position rather than his overall ability.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Neither of them seem to have settled into what's needed for a wide player in a 442 formation. They have both played like guys who aren't sure of themselves and they are making silly errors as a result. 

In specific reference to Iwobi, he seemed a lot more confident and comfortable when he moved centrally against Utd. It was like a switch had flipped because he was shite beforehand. That says to me more that it's about his effectiveness in the position rather than his overall ability.

I think all players, especially creative players thrive on confidence, in a team that is struggling to find its identity, changing managers and players, their confidence and form are bound to be affected. Once we get a new manager and he gets his system  in place then it will give players the boost and certainty they need to play better.

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

I don’t think he’s a winger. I’d really like to see him wide in a 3 man midfield. Similar to the OX at Liverpool.