IGNORED

American (NFL) & College (NCAA) Football

My understanding of American Football.

After a St. Patrick's Day type parade the game starts.  The play goes on for 5 seconds then the referee blows his whistle.  Another official on the side-line throws a tea towel on the pitch and everything stops for about 20 minutes.  Repeats about 50 times.   I may have exaggerated slightly as I haven't watched it for about 25 years.:lol:

15 minutes ago, johnh said:

After a St. Patrick's Day type parade the game starts.  The play goes on for 5 seconds then the referee blows his whistle.  Another official on the side-line throws a tea towel on the pitch and everything stops for about 20 minutes.  Repeats about 50 times.   I may have exaggerated slightly as I haven't watched it for about 25 years.:lol:

not far off john, its not like it used to be when i grew up, less stops then and more violent.  plus more defense then.  now its all offense and passing and flags and stopping.  i can't get through a game anymore.  i just follow it through the standings/scores online

3 hours ago, johnh said:

I must admit I cant watch just one game on its own but I love Redzone on Sky. All the important action from all the games and no breaks!

5 hours ago, rubecula said:

Only thing I do not understand is how the league/games are set up.

they are setup regionally.  for instance my team plays with teams in a 5 hour drive of each other.  Cleveland Pittsburgh Cincinatti Baltimore.  THat way travel isn'tt bad.  You play everyone in your division home and away, then you play 2 other divisons (1 match only, league decides).

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

they are setup regionally.  for instance my team plays with teams in a 5 hour drive of each other.  Cleveland Pittsburgh Cincinatti Baltimore.  THat way travel isn'ttt bad.  You play everyone in your division home and away, then you play 2 other divisons (1 match only, league decides).

yes that is the part I find hard to follow: inter conference games, inter division games etc.  

52 minutes ago, rubecula said:

yes that is the part I find hard to follow: inter conference games, inter division games etc.  

i'm not going to lie, european football is setup the best way possible in sports.  i love the you play every team home and away, that the best record wins the season (no playoffs), the promotion and relegation system, transfers, etc.  so im agreeing with you, american football scheduling makes little sense.

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'm not going to lie, european football is setup the best way possible in sports.  i love the you play every team home and away, that the best record wins the season (no playoffs), the promotion and relegation system, transfers, etc.  so im agreeing with you, american football scheduling makes little sense.

Nice of you to say Mark, but I didn't mean it made no sense, just that it made little sense to me.  :)

That works because teams are so close together though. US is like 2700 miles in width.

11 hours ago, tonkaroost said:
12 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

That works because teams are so close together though. US is like 2700 miles in width.

But it's not like every division is of the closest teams to each other in the NFL. Even then that doesn't matter because they fly over here for 3 or 4 games a season! 

The scheduling in the NFL is one of the strangest things you will see in organised sport, especially in the modern day.

21 minutes ago, Bailey said:

But it's not like every division is of the closest teams to each other in the NFL. Even then that doesn't matter because they fly over here for 3 or 4 games a season! 

The scheduling in the NFL is one of the strangest things you will see in organised sport, especially in the modern day.

agreed, part of the reason is there is like 30 teams but 16 games, that means each team can't just play everyone.  so for "parity" they have you play your own division twice (6 games) and then 2 other divisions.  that rotates so technically you play all the teams within a couple years.

basketball and hockey are goofy too, they don't just play everyone 3 times (would make the most sense).  it's like you play everyone twice and then your own division a bunch more.  they try to get the local rivalry games more to get fans going.

• 2 weeks later...