IGNORED

Carabao Cup

MikeO

I don't even think you have to understand the history of the cup to understand that a trophy is a trophy. It's definitely not meaningless if Europe is on the line.

We have players that are capable of concentrating on both, but if they can't then they shouldn't be playing for us anyway. Taking any competition less serious than the next is a disrespect to the sport.

Not sure when we became a fanbase that turns it's nose up at actually winning a trophy and bringing some success to the club after nearly two and a half decades of fook all, but as for as I'm concerned I want us to win every competition we enter, and I really hope Silva has a proper go at getting some silverware this (and every) season. That said, we'll probably struggle against Lincoln and get beat one nil like we did against Grimsby in the 80's 😀

8 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

And where are they now?

last ten years have been CIty, United, Liverpool Spurs, Chelsea, Swans, Birmingham.  Many won it multiple times.8 of 10 have been top 4 teams and winning trophies during that time.  Swans and Bham the only odd ones out that were relegated.  I like my chances at 80% success rate.

13 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

last ten years have been CIty, United, Liverpool Spurs, Chelsea, Swans, Birmingham.  Many won it multiple times.8 of 10 have been top 4 teams and winning trophies during that time.  Swans and Bham the only odd ones out that were relegated.  I like my chances at 80% success rate.

Hardly a good statistical sample, but the only teams not in the top six at the time have since been relegated. I would suggest teams win because they are top six. The corollary is clearly not true: winning this cup is not a path to becoming top six. 

Just now, Cornish Steve said:

Hardly a good statistical sample, but the only teams not in the top six at the time have since been relegated. I would suggest teams win because they are top six. The corollary is clearly not true: winning this cup is not a path to becoming top six. 

Just as winning it doesn’t mean the demise of a team. 

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Winning the trophy means... you’ve won the trophy! One that the club hasn’t won before and the first of any trophy since 1995. Nothing more and nothing less. 

19 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

You and I are both older than the League Cup competition. If prestige comes with age, what happened in our case? :shakingfist:

My grandfather fought in WW-I, and my brother was researching his medals. Most are genuine, but one was given out after the war by one of the national newspapers (Daily Sketch, maybe?). Do you think that medal carries anywhere near as much respect as the others? The Caraboa Cup/League Cup is the Daily Sketch medal of trophies.

If others are satisfied with winning such silverware, then so be it. Personally, I want to see Everton become once again the best team in the land, and I don't want anything getting in the way of that. I won't be satisfied with anything less than the best - and surely that's the attitude we should have as fans. Scraps at the table might satisfy some, but we should be looking to feast year after year.

Scraps on the table my arse, that’s like a homeless bloke who is suffering from malnutrition because he hasn’t eaten for months turning down a steak because it was bought from Aldi 

We have done a fantastic job of not getting distracted by the League Cup but it’s not helped us win a fucking thing in 26 years, I think maybe we need a new plan

On 15/08/2019 at 10:35, aaron said:

Go and ask Man City if it means nothing. It was the start of their trophy haul in the recent years.

Honestly cant believe I've read people turning their nose up at a meaningful trophy. Absolute disgrace that.

Spot on, it was the same for us and we didn’t even win it 

Just go and read Graeme Sharps autobiography. He says that the moment that the greatest side in Everton’s history began to really believe in themselves was when they went toe to toe with The Shite at Wembley in the League Cup final. That was the springboard to all their success , but what does he know Pete says it’s meaningless so we might as well go another 26 years without a trophy 

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Spot on, it was the same for us and we didn’t even win it 

Just go and read Graeme Sharps autobiography. He says that the moment that the greatest side in Everton’s history began to really believe in themselves was when they went toe to toe with The Shite at Wembley in the League Cup final. That was the springboard to all their success , but what does he know Pete says it’s meaningless so we might as well go another 26 years without a trophy 

Your argument that we should try and win it... is based on a comment about that time we never won it 😂 

Fuck me, remember when this was for thinking Evertonian. Back in those days the league Cup had more prestige, now it's an inconvenience for most clubs until they get the final, even then Watford stuck with their second keeper. Winning the league Cup is hardly winning a trophy anymore than if we'd nabbed the SportsPesa, I'd not attend the parade. 

3 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Your argument that we should try and win it... is based on a comment about that time we never won it 😂 

Fuck me, remember when this was for thinking Evertonian. Back in those days the league Cup had more prestige, now it's an inconvenience for most clubs until they get the final, even then Watford stuck with their second keeper. 

When has it ever been about being a thinking Evertonian for you? You're so off base on so many topics. 

Love your posts (mostly), but come on. 

19 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

When has it ever been about being a thinking Evertonian for you? You're so off base on so many topics. 

Love your posts (mostly), but come on. 

There's logic behind most my posts, maybe I stumble explaining it but get there in the end so at least people can see where I'm coming from.

Most have come round to the idea that we'll be a better side without Gana as the benefit of him pressing is outweighed by the cost of him being out of position. The other main one last year was probs saying DCL is better suited than Tosun for the system we play which I think most would agree. Only one atm is probably Sigurdssen, I don't think he's suited to the system as he's not the quickest over a short distance to excel at pressing. All had a few agreeing or suggesting it before me and our minority has tended to swell as the games go by. 

Was gonna say minority increased by it seems a bit of an oxymoron. 

14 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Fuck me, remember when this was for thinking Evertonian. Back in those days the league Cup had more prestige, now it's an inconvenience for most clubs until they get the final, even then Watford stuck with their second keeper. Winning the league Cup is hardly winning a trophy anymore than if we'd nabbed the SportsPesa, I'd not attend the parade. 

It still has a prestigious place in English football, it gives 92 clubs the opportunity to go to Wembley and win a trophy in front of 35,000 plus of their own supporters, that's not an inconvenience that's a dream for a lot of people including the players and staff.

And if you are lucky enough to win it you are further rewarded with a place in European football, but I suppose you would find that an inconvenience as well.

I have agreed with you on certain things in the past, but I must say you and Cornish are way off the mark with this one.

41 minutes ago, pete0 said:

There's logic behind most my posts, maybe I stumble explaining it but get there in the end so at least people can see where I'm coming from.

Most have come round to the idea that we'll be a better side without Gana as the benefit of him pressing is outweighed by the cost of him being out of position. The other main one last year was probs saying DCL is better suited than Tosun for the system we play which I think most would agree. Only one atm is probably Sigurdssen, I don't think he's suited to the system as he's not the quickest over a short distance to excel at pressing. All had a few agreeing or suggesting it before me and our minority has tended to swell as the games go by. 

I don't agree that "most" will say we are a better side without Gana. There's currently no proof of that. I will agree that DCL is currently better suited to Silva's system though, and I agree that Gylfi isn't the quickest. 

19 minutes ago, Palfy said:

It still has a prestigious place in English football, it gives 92 clubs the opportunity to go to Wembley and win a trophy in front of 35,000 plus of their own supporters, that's not an inconvenience that's a dream for a lot of people including the players and staff.

And if you are lucky enough to win it you are further rewarded with a place in European football, but I suppose you would find that an inconvenience as well.

I have agreed with you on certain things in the past, but I must say you and Cornish are way off the mark with this one.

I'm guessing I'm a bit younger, for my generation the league Cup has always been a second rate competition that's struggled to attract a sponsor. 

If we won it I'd be happy for the chance to go to Wembley and for European football, but I'd not count it as ending our trophy drought. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Logic is generous...

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

As always you’ve missed the point. 

Back then we had a young up and coming side and the mere fact they got to Wembley and more than matched The Shite over the two games, we would have won it if the ref had not ignored Hansen's hand ball,  instilled a lot of belief in them. It made them realise they could compete with the best

So much so that we went on to have a strong finish in the league that season and were back at Wembley a few months later to lift the FA Cup and the most successful ever Everton side was born

Most say the real turning point for that side was even earlier , that it was a late equaliser by Adrian Heath against Oxford in the quarter final of a cup competition, guess which one?

Either way if Kendall had your attitude to winning trophies back then he may have rested players against Oxford and lost that game , lost his job and the great  side of the 80’s may never have come to fruition 

By the way it was the FA Cup final where Watford played their second keeper, so should we not try and win that either?

5 hours ago, pete0 said:

I'm guessing I'm a bit younger, for my generation the league Cup has always been a second rate competition that's struggled to attract a sponsor. 

If we won it I'd be happy for the chance to go to Wembley and for European football, but I'd not count it as ending our trophy drought. 

That is a very good point that you are of a different generation who have seen some managers not pay the attention to the competition that I feel it deserves, it maybe the way of foreign management even some don’t pay the FA cup the credit it deserves till later rounds. 

It would be a great day to go to Wembley and feel the atmosphere and emotion of a cup day again, and if we won I’m sure the euphoria would take over and your mind set would change. 

15 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Back then we had a young up and coming side and the mere fact they got to Wembley and more than matched The Shite over the two games, we would have won it if the ref had not ignored Hansen's hand ball,  instilled a lot of belief in them. It made them realise they could compete with the best

So much so that we went on to have a strong finish in the league that season and were back at Wembley a few months later to lift the FA Cup and the most successful ever Everton side was born

Most say the real turning point for that side was even earlier , that it was a late equaliser by Adrian Heath against Oxford in the quarter final of a cup competition, guess which one?

Either way if Kendall had your attitude to winning trophies back then he may have rested players against Oxford and lost that game , lost his job and the great  side of the 80’s may never have come to fruition 

That’s a very good point about resting players, years ago when the the teams in the top tier were predominantly managed by British managers there was no such thing as resting players in cup games, teams gave their all which gave all domestic cups that big special feeling that they were worth dyeing for, and supporters couldn’t wait for a cup game league or FA for me it didn’t matter. 

So Pete is right when he says he doesn’t feel that connection, he has grown up in a environment where I believe foreign managers have diluted our cups and the European cups have become much more important. 

8 hours ago, StevO said:

I’ve really got to ask, who has come round to this idea to be considered “most”?

Feel free to make a poll. 

4 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

By the way it was the FA Cup final where Watford played their second keeper, so should we not try and win that either?

Back then you never had the depth to rest players. Back then the cup might have meant something. Present day the league Cup is an inconvenience to most. Probs showing my age, the FA cup was still a special occasion when I was young, but it has devalued since. 

36 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Feel free to make a poll. 

Back then you never had the depth to rest players. Back then the cup might have meant something. Present day the league Cup is an inconvenience to most. Probs showing my age, the FA cup was still a special occasion when I was young, but it has devalued since. 

That’s the FA cup and league cup written off then? So just the Premier League to play for? I’ve got a feeling you are going to be disappointed for many many years especially with FFP in play now.