IGNORED

Carabao Cup

MikeO

"In 2014, Sunderland were fined by the Premier League and the EFL after they fielded an ineligible player in four league matches and a League Cup match" as a precedent suggests they won't get preferential treatment if it's just a fine but in Sunderland's case they actually realised the mistake and reported themselves so that will have worked in their favour, don't know the circumstances of this one. If they knowingly did it they should be chucked out.

Just now, MikeO said:

They'll have to break out the petty cash tin though mind, that always hurts.

Replied too quick mate as I was doing a bit more research (it’s boring in a hotel). If they win, they’re not actually penalised and get a trophy. What kind of punishment is that?!

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

Replied too quick mate as I was doing a bit more research (it’s boring in a hotel). If they win, they’re not actually penalised and get a trophy. What kind of punishment is that?!

Cornish would consider winning a worse punishment than being kicked out 😀

18 hours ago, Finn balor said:

No point really is there? The fine is a joke. Any club that does that should have to play their under 23 team in the next round. Give their kids a chance to shine and make the money go to charity 

That’s a great idea. Punishment doesn’t have to be negative all the time. Forcing teams to progress their (reserve) teams is a step of forward thinking.

Not sure how it could, or if it could work though.

27 minutes ago, Shukes said:

They can’t punish them more than the last team though, just because they are Liverpool. Fairness works both ways.... no matter how much we have them.

Imagine speeding fines being £100.000 if you have more than 1m in the bank, there would be riots!

They shouldn't of let the last team off with it or at least made it clear that they would fully enforce it on the next occasion. 

They kick ametuer teams out of cups all the time for it. Shouldn't be any different for the professionals. 

38 minutes ago, Shukes said:

They can’t punish them more than the last team though, just because they are Liverpool. Fairness works both ways.... no matter how much we have them.

Imagine speeding fines being £100.000 if you have more than 1m in the bank, there would be riots!

Haven’t they been pushing for motoring offences, the more serious ones, to be a percentage of monthly wage?

Rich people don’t like to riot. 

54 minutes ago, Shukes said:

They can’t punish them more than the last team though, just because they are Liverpool. Fairness works both ways.... no matter how much we hate them.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Haven’t they been pushing for motoring offences, the more serious ones, to be a percentage of monthly wage?

I'd support that; for a penalty to be equally financially painful for all makes perfect sense. £500 fine for a PL footballer is the lint in their trouser pocket so no deterrent whatsoever while the same for Joe Public on minimum wage it's a fortune.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I think my rich people rioting argument has been truly kicked out haha. 

Where do you set the bench mark to distinguish the rich from the not rich, and be careful Shukes with your assessment or you may unwittingly cost yourself more money😀

On 03/10/2019 at 17:25, Shukes said:

It is true, the FA had set a precedent which for the richer clubs will just make them think “well fuck it, what’s the worst that can happen?”  I’m more annoyed by the situation and response than I am about it being that lot, I’d be just as frustrated if it was anyone else

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

In the quarters with Colchester and oxford still in so a real chance to make it to the semis. We will probably get city mind you. Certain people still want us to get knocked out or play a weaker team?

Generally I’m one (a minority, I think) who prefers some rotation for cup matches.  Maybe 3-5 changes, not 8-9.  Partly this comes from my view that we don’t have a clear “excellent” first 11, nor do we have unanimity on TT as to who is the best choice at every position.  (Some think Delph is preferable to Davies; others scoff at that thought.  Some think Coleman is past it; others disagree.  Should Holgate replace Keane, when Mina returns?  Should Baines get a start in Dec?  Etc.)

The next round of the League Cup this season presents a special problem.  We’ll probably play Wed Dec 18, 3 days after facing ManU away and 3 days before Arsenal at Goodison.  That’s 3 matches in 7 days, which, further, is the end of a brutal first 3 weeks in December.

So, I’m skeptical that we’ll know — or agree about — our best 11; and even if it were clear to all our first-choice at every position, I assume somewhere in our December matches, some rotation will be necessary.

I’m desperately hoping for Colchester or Oxford, at Goodison.  Only one who truly thinks this season’s League Cup is a fool’s errand when we might be in the relegation zone by mid-Dec will prefer any of the other 5 possibilities.