IGNORED

Brighton (Away) Saturday October 26th

markjazzbassist

Another winnable one here, let's hope he keeps the same lineup as last time.  hopefully i can find the time to watch this one.

Pickford

Sidibe Keane Mina Digne

Davies Gomes

Walcott Iwobi Bernard

Richarlison

On 20/10/2019 at 04:04, Isaiah said:

Has to be the same team that started against West Ham. Otherwise there's no incentive or reward for actually playing well. 

I agree with the principle but there’s always the opposition tactics to consider which might result in a change for us. I’d rather not though, I’d rather we stuck with that team and dictated 

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

I agree with the principle but there’s always the opposition tactics to consider which might result in a change for us. I’d rather not though, I’d rather we stuck with that team and dictated 

One thing should be certain though - Schneiderlin, Delph and Sigurdsson should never be in the same 11 again. That many players that slow the game down playing together is a death knell for winning.

I didn’t get to see the WHU game just the highlights, so I hope he has the conviction to keep the same team, some of the changes he made are what I’ve been wanting to see for sometime now, so I’m gutted I missed it but playing Quinta da lago south does have some compensation. 

I think Mina is out with a knee injury, so it may be time for Holgate to put in a glittering performance. Either way, we've got this... Come On You Blue Boys!

Pickford

Sidibé Holgate Keane Digne

Davies    Gomes

Walcott   Iwobi    Bernard

Richarlison

Still a big game for Silva.

1 point in the road this season isn't good enough, and last season's wasn't good enough either. If we want to progress as a club this is the next step we need to take.

He's bought himself some time with the convincing win against WHU but if he continually fails to impress on the road, I would be happy to see the back of him so we can bring in a real manager before the end of Xmas

29 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Still a big game for Silva.

1 point in the road this season isn't good enough, and last season's wasn't good enough either. If we want to progress as a club this is the next step we need to take.

He's bought himself some time with the convincing win against WHU but if he continually fails to impress on the road, I would be happy to see the back of him so we can bring in a real manager before the end of Xmas

Our away record has been terrible for a long time now, I don't think Silva is the problem there. He does need to be looking to improve it though, I just don't know what needs to be done.

43 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

If he reverts back to Coleman Gylfi Schneiderlin DCL or Delph to take the position of anyone who started last week, then I am done with him as a credible manager bar injuries of course. 
He needs to stop the tinkering and acting like a tactical guru and return a winning team, for me he needs to concentrate on getting the basics right and sticking to a winning team, and stop pandering to the more established players especially when their form is woeful. 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

If he reverts back to Coleman Gylfi Schneiderlin DCL or Delph to take the position of anyone who started last week, then I am done with him as a credible manager bar injuries of course. 
He needs to stop the tinkering and acting like a tactical guru and return a winning team, for me he needs to concentrate on getting the basics right and sticking to a winning team, and stop pandering to the more established players especially when their form is woeful. 

Like most everyone, I (think I) want to see the same team as last week.  But I do have a team selection question.  Maybe several.

Is there any — any — argument whatsoever for a change or two, say, Delph for Davies, or Sigurdsson for Walcott (moving Iwobi outside), or Coleman at RB, based on playing a different team with a presumably different style, or playing away?  Will Brighton away pose significantly different tactical issues than WHam at Goodison?  Is there any “logical” tactical argument for even minimal selection change?

Or do such tactical considerations pale in comparison to psychological factors (implicit throughout Palfy’s pointed post) such as energy momentum, exciting football, rewarding individual-and-team near-excellence throughout the WHam match?

51 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Like most everyone, I (think I) want to see the same team as last week.  But I do have a team selection question.  Maybe several.

Is there any — any — argument whatsoever for a change or two, say, Delph for Davies, or Sigurdsson for Walcott (moving Iwobi outside), or Coleman at RB, based on playing a different team with a presumably different style, or playing away?  Will Brighton away pose significantly different tactical issues than WHam at Goodison?  Is there any “logical” tactical argument for even minimal selection change?

Or do such tactical considerations pale in comparison to psychological factors (implicit throughout Palfy’s pointed post) such as energy momentum, exciting football, rewarding individual-and-team near-excellence throughout the WHam match?

No. 

53 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

That’s my issue really you start over thinking it, when you should really give the players that possibly saved him from the chop the opportunity they’ve earned, and as much as many won’t like it that it includes Walcott that’s too bad. 
And if it’s not panning out he has the opportunity to make tactical decisions during the game time. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Summed up nicely.

Hmmm, well, it would be a pithy summation were TT “For the Unthinking Evertonian.”

But I suspect Romey’s pith actually means:

1. No, hell no, there’s no argument whatsoever....  Stay in your lane, Elston, mate.

2. No, Brighton away poses no tactical issues that would warrant ignoring #1 above.

3. Yes, energy momentum triumphs over tactical considerations, at least in the short run.

11 minutes ago, Shukes said:

But at the same time, the same team and tactics might not work against a different opponent.

Uh, oh.

12 minutes ago, Shukes said:

This is where a manager separates himself from fans.

If Silva changes the selection, I fear Romey and MikeO will separate him from his head.

And blame me (TT - Not For the Overthinking Evertonian) for the bloody mess.

The team that beat WHU wasn’t his team it was more like the team the fans wanted to see, it wasn’t tactical on his account it was desperation. 
His tactics lost us the last 4 league games, who wants to go back to Coleman to slow poor delivery, DCL can’t score and doesn’t get involved enough, Gylfi so far off the pace you wouldn’t know he was on the pitch, Schneiderlin to negative, Delph trying to play champagne Charlie football badly, not me for one. 
He needs to keep a winning team together and make those who have had plenty of opportunity’s and failed, work hard and earn their place back into the team. 

3 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Hmmm, well, it would be a pithy summation were TT “For the Unthinking Evertonian.”

1. No, hell no, there’s no argument whatsoever....  Stay in your lane, Elston, mate.

None of that here at all, he'd have said the same had I posted your response, been his way for the best part of fifteen years and he's not going to change now. As to "unthinking," he thought about your post and answered it succinctly, with the same reply as 95% of Blues would've given imo. No hierarchy on here when it comes to opinions Elston, all are created equal👍

9 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

2. No, Brighton away poses no tactical issues that would warrant ignoring #1 above.

3. Yes, energy momentum triumphs over tactical considerations, at least in the short run.

Uh, oh.

If Silva changes the selection, I fear Romey and MikeO will separate him from his head.

12 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Uh, oh.

Good post but I’m sure there was no personal attack or malice towards you in their short retorts.  

To get past thinking and unthinking, I’ll try to refocus on the substantive issue of playing Brighton tomorrow, and hope I’m not overthinking.

Stipulate that no matter the differences between Brighton and WHam, it is likely close to unanimous on TT that Silva should (and probably will) select the same team as last week.  (Possibly Holgate for injured Mina.)

I know there must be several/many on TT who know a little or a lot about Brighton so far this season, so I’m trying to ask a straightforward question: As to the matter of differences, how are Brighton (on their home pitch) likely to present different opportunities and different challenges from WHam?

And, what will be the strengths of last week’s Everton selection in capitalizing on such opportunities and responding to such challenges?

I actually have a big fear that all of them (apart from Schneiderlin) will come back in. If he does that he's an idiot. I don't care who we're playing, what tactics they employ, you do not slow the play down to the degree we would be with bringing them back in. 

I could just about cope with Sigurdsson coming in, because that's just one player that's slow. The team could probably cope with that too. But then what do you do with Iwobi? He might have frustrated in that role a but he got us moving forward with pace every time he got the ball and that's invaluable whoever you're playing. You could move him to the left but then what do you with Bernard? You could move him to the right but then you break up the Digne/Bernard bromance that looks brilliant and you lose something from Digne too. And if you do move him to the right what message does that send to Walcott? He's not the most highly rated player here but he was immense last weekend and has more than earned his starting spot. Also, what message does it send to Davies if he's plonked back on the bench for the slow, nothingness of Delph? I'm not Davies' biggest fan but he showed that forward motion is possible while keeping it simple rather than playing like billy big bollocks and fucking it up like the fraud that is Fabian Delph. No, Davies has has to wait and wait for his opportunity and he's taken it. Same goes for Sidibe in that respect. Coleman may be our captain but he was an idiot, couldn't play because of it, and his replacement had a great game. He got caught out of position a few times, like Coleman does regularly every game, but the difference was he had it in him to recover every single time. Oh and he can cross the ball. 

I know you like lots of words, Elston, so there you go, but no really did cover it all.

I think the biggest change we should make is Wenger for Silva, maybe his coaching staff too since it's the movement of Walcott and Iwobi that made the difference last week and sweet fa to do with Silva's tactics who let's face it shouldn't be credited much for making the changes as it took 4 defeats on the bounce to do the obvious (dropping Sigurdssen and starting Davies). 

16 hours ago, Shukes said:

But at the same time, the same team and tactics might not work against a different opponent. This is where a manager separates himself from fans.

Lets wait and see what he does and see how it turns out.

I get were you are coming from you have to respect every team, but having said that we shouldn’t be going there changing a winning team, surely we shouldn’t be going there to defend against them as the better team, we must believe we are the better team and let them worry about how they are going to stop us. 
If he reverts back to the old guard then he will do Brighton’s job for them. 

The only change I’d entertain today would be Delph for Walcott and us setting up at a 4-3-3 rather than the usual set-up. This is the system I sense Silva wants to play and a midfield 3 of Delph, Gomes and Davies should dominate anything they’ve got but also give us plenty going forward. We’re awful away from home - tactically, something needs to change.

24 minutes ago, c1982 said:

The only change I’d entertain today would be Delph for Walcott and us setting up at a 4-3-3 rather than the usual set-up. This is the system I sense Silva wants to play and a midfield 3 of Delph, Gomes and Davies should dominate anything they’ve got but also give us plenty going forward. We’re awful away from home - tactically, something needs to change.

Who would be your 3 up top with the 3 in the middle.