IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

3 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

The players are good enough to be seeing off the minnows of the division, it's a travesty that we find ourselves in the situation we are in. Carlo's short term target this year will be to hopefully deliver the FA Cup, break the hoodoo we have against Liverpool and finish in a more respectable top half position.

Next season, with some appropriate additions to the squad we should be able to launch a real challenge to the top 4 of the table. All of the traditional big clubs are in a transition and the opportunity is there for a club to establish itself as the new order. At the moment though, that club looks like Leicester.

Problem is we have been saying we should be breaking into the top 4 every season since we finished 5th under Martinez. I still reckon that was our big opportunity, fucked up by Martinez's criminal lack of tactical awareness defensively. Since then, under Moshiri's watch we have seen a catalogue of rank bad recruitment turn our squad into a bit of a laughing squad and absolutely nowhere near challenging at the top of the league. I don't think it's realistic to expect that to be turned around in two transfer windows. My concern is that there will be big pressure on Ancellotti to achieve fast results, well throw a load more money around without a proper long term strategy and in 12 months we'll all be scratching our heads wondering what went wrong. 

Ancellotti has signed for four full seasons. I reckon it could realistically take until the final 2 of those before we're genuine contenders again. He needs to be given time and patience. 

4 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

There was no good reason for us to throw away the results that we have done this season. Losing to the likes of Norwich, Villa, Brighton and Sheff Utd is unforgivable. Even just winning 2 of those games would have us in the top 10 at this stage.

I might be wildly optimistic with my previous post but I still believe we are in a false position that is not reflective of what is at the club already.

I didn’t say we weren’t in a false position, with a better manager and players than actually give a shit we should be in a better position, but every supporter for every team could say that.

But the games we’ve lost and the position we are in the league Paul are factual for what ever reason it’s happened, but to expect Ancelotti to pick this lot up and have us fighting for 4th spot next season is a massive ask, now I’d love that to happen as much as the next fan, and if it did what a bonus, but I’m not expecting it so hopefully I won’t be disappointed. 

1 hour ago, FairWooney said:

Love the Ibra response....I'll give him a call and see if he fancies coming over!

Usual careful responses around transfers and transfer funds but I'd say he'll definitely be well backed.

But he did say not as a player. 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

The players are good enough to be seeing off the minnows of the division, it's a travesty that we find ourselves in the situation we are in. Carlo's short term target this year will be to hopefully deliver the FA Cup, break the hoodoo we have against Liverpool and finish in a more respectable top half position.

Next season, with some appropriate additions to the squad we should be able to launch a real challenge to the top 4 of the table. All of the traditional big clubs are in a transition and the opportunity is there for a club to establish itself as the new order. At the moment though, that club looks like Leicester.

It's this type of attitude that leads to calling for managers heads every 5 minutes. The "minnows" as you call them have all gone on to beat a top side at some point this season. They will beat us under Ancellotti as well. What I would like to see is that we were unlucky in a loss to a lower table side, or any side in fact, rather than being deservedly beaten. Performances need to improve and of that happens results will too.

We aren't going to win the FA Cup either. Up against the league leaders in the first round when we have no midfield. 

As for top 4, we have maybe two or three top 4 quality players. If we jump from what we have now to top 4 it will be a miracle. If it happens Ancellotti won't be here the following season either!

20 hours ago, StevO said:

He does need time, but he’s got 20 league games left this season. I’d hope to see progress from here to be honest. If he is such a good coach (I’m certain he is) we should see him improve the players we have as well as bringing some in. 
Eight or nine wins from the 20 remaining games should be doable I think. 

I think he has a tough start. Burnley aren't your usual side to come up against in your first game, albeit at least we are at home. Newcastle aree picking up points and are very dangerous on the counter, and then it's City, Liverpool and then up against another underrated footballing side in Brighton (albeit at home).

If we end up with 3 wins that would be a huge return for Carlo. 

20 hours ago, Aidan said:

Can see a lot of people on twitter emphasising that we need to give him 'time' like he has asked for. 

The only issue is, that we have to show progression within his time at the club. It could be said Koeman or Silva didn't have enough time, but on the flip side they didn't show much progression either. 

Id certainly expect us to be back in and amongst the top 8 next season and to go from there, but that's not to say I would want him out if we finished 9th or 10th.

The other thing I hope to see is more sensible transfers. Let's not be buying more teenagers breaking the bank in positions we need experience and/or league familiarity. 

There is definitely a difference between time when you can see things working and time because there isn't a better option. We were going backwards under both Silva and Koeman but I hope we would see that continued improvement under Carlo. 

4 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

There was no good reason for us to throw away the results that we have done this season. Losing to the likes of Norwich, Villa, Brighton and Sheff Utd is unforgivable. Even just winning 2 of those games would have us in the top 10 at this stage.

I might be wildly optimistic with my previous post but I still believe we are in a false position that is not reflective of what is at the club already.

Those 4 sides are no mugs though. City have lost to Norwich, Sheffield should have beaten Liverpool, Brighton have beaten Spurs, Arsenal and drawn with Wolves. Villa are tanking a bit now but they have been game against big sides as well. 

Every game in this league is tough, even the two elite teams in our league have struggled past these sides so I don't get why any Everton fan, with the shite we have who have only just found their fight, can dismiss these other teams so lightly. 

You are just building yourself up to be massively disappointed.

Very pleased with having Ancelotti here. And he'll have plenty to see to indeed. What I personally is looking for is not instant results and shot-term solutions. I want stability, heart and soul and I want our home matches to make the opposition feel they should have stayed in bed.

It will all require hard work, blood and tears, but that might just pay off in the longer run (not this season, I think).

10 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

These are the toughest games for our level at the moment. 
Teams who we should beat will put ten men behind the ball and they are hard to break down. We don’t have enough creativity or the next level of player to break that down. Then they catch us on the break. 
Teams who we shouldn’t beat, we then do what smaller teams do to us and we grind out results. 

We now have a manager who is used to breaking down teams who don’t want to attack him. That’s the game changer as much as anything. 

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Said all the things any new manager would say. Let's see him do the talking on the pitch. 

He needs time though. It’s imperative that he is allowed time to make the changes needed.

In the market, we’ve not been able to attract the upper level player - we got close with Digne and Gomes through brands. Now we have Carlo - we need to move on these sub par players that we are holding onto with the belief that maybe they can cut it when in all reality they haven’t for 2 or so years. Keane, Schneiderlin, Gylfi, Tosun are first to mind - Coleman and Walcott are on notice. With these players getting minutes, there’s only so much a manager can achieve - world class or not.

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

The man just makes me feel assured he knows what he is doing. Subs were made for a reason and we seemed we knew what we were doing 

Had me worried about how long it took him to get the first sub on, and I moaned it wasn't Sid coming off for an attacker. It turns out he knows more about football than I do. 

5 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Had me worried about how long it took him to get the first sub on, and I moaned it wasn't Sid coming off for an attacker. It turns out he knows more about football than I do. 

lol.  i did notice after the goal he either delayed the next sub or changed it.  looks like there are actual methods behind the subs which is a revelation.

46 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I'm not having that Aidan mate; I think you're just too modest to tell us you texted him what to do.

40 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'm not having that Aidan mate; I think you're just too modest to tell us you texted him what to do.

Actually Ancelotti made pretty standard change, given I predicted exactly what he'll do in the match thread:

4 hours ago, Haiku said:

Should change the formation with 3 at the back. Bernard is lovely, but I would sub him for Kean so we have 3 up front with digne and sidibe bombing the wings for crosses. Can't see other way to break that defense.

4 hours ago, Haiku said:

And he did just that! Well done, Carlo!

After reading the article about how his 442 moves around with and without the ball he seemed to play exactly that. I think apart from missing a couple of goals that was the best football we’ve played in ages. Some of the movement was brilliant, mixing up play inside and out, it was refreshing. If he can implement that in three or four days I’m even more excited. 

The best thing is how different the angry shouts in the crowd were. I’m used to hearing “he’s shit, get him off” or “what the fuck is he doing over there” to now hearing “I don’t understand what he’s doing”, it’s nice hear that the manager knows more than the nuggets who sit behind me. 

2 minutes ago, nogs said:

The change in Bernard was massive. It was almost as if he was given a free role to drift inside as he liked and as a result he had a real impact on the game. The movement off the ball was excellent too. 

Not sure if you saw this article Nogs, but it pretty much played out just as it describes. Bernard playing that left side position and pulling inside leaving space for the full back. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ancelotti-everton-tactics-new-manager-17407007

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Not sure if you saw this article Nogs, but it pretty much played out just as it describes. Bernard playing that left side position and pulling inside leaving space for the full back. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ancelotti-everton-tactics-new-manager-17407007

It was as if the article was written after the game. Played out exactly.

2 hours ago, StevO said:

He certainly stuck with what he knows yesterday then! Be interesting to see if he fancies Richarlison in the LM role like the article suggests and gives Kean a go up top with DCL - like I said, thought it suited Bernard really well. We must be prioritising a CB in January, I wonder if he'll see Holgate as an option at RB if he gets one? Think he'd be better suited to switching back into CB than Coleman. 

4 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Just the way he has all about DCL, saying he wants him to stay in he middle and concentrate on being on the box, rathe than going looking fo the ball.

This shows he is instantly looking at the small changes.

yep and it showed last match when bernard put a beauty in the box and no one was there.  absolutely criminal that no one was there.  DCL will be that hard worker and the man all CB's hate, kean/richarlison will be banging em in.