IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

I don't think playing out from the back was too bad yesterday. West Ham didn't press us that deep in our own half so we could get that first or second pass away. The problem was once we got near the half way line we gave it away time and time again. Some under pressure, most of it not. The chance Haller had was a poor touch / pass from DCL, putting Bernard under pressure who played a bad pass to Delph/Digne with the latter getting caught on the ball. That happened time and time again with all players involved. 

In terms of the tactics in the second half, I can see why he tried to sit us deeper and soak up pressure better because they were more likely to score than us. We were loose and he wanted to tighten things up, which he did. The problem is it stopped us being an attacking threat. 

Bernard was our most dangerous player, but he was also turning over the ball a lot too. Even Walcott was getting into dangerous positions despite fucking up every final ball. Gordon worked hard but offered very little (not blaming the lad) and for the sake of repeating myself Sidibe isn't a right sided midfielder. He did well at helping us defensively but offered us nothing offensively. 

I have also seen enough to see that DCL and Kean aren't a pairing. Without Bernard it was clear they both wanted to be the final ball rather than drop in. DCL dropping deep is pointless because he is mixed at getting it under control anyway, though some touches in the second half were exquisite, he doesn't know what to do with the ball in space, he isn't a creative passer and he isn't going to beat a man dribbling. Kean did ok when he was doing that more in the first half and he is better at it than DCL but he is miles off contributing as much as Richarlison does in the same role (understandibly). If anything it feels like another position that we need a back up. 

Good video of a lad at the train station singing the Carlo song next to him as he’s smiling. Also heard a new song yesterday which was a good un. We would have won yesterday with Richarlison. We missed him terribly but he has had a rest and another next week with the fa cup which will do him good. There is nowt wrong playing from the back but you have to do it properly. Delph and Davies haven’t got the ability to come and get the ball and have that turn of speed you need to create an attack. We desperately need someone in even on a loan. That midfield four was abject yesterday and even if you bring Gilfi back it still doesn’t solve it. 

13 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I was sold as soon as I read he wants us to play quick. He'll have to get rid a lot of this team to accomplish that though.

I thought we were much improved today on that front. Much quicker getting the ball forward and not playing back top often.   Lots of really positive passing and in the first 20 of the second half some really slick attacking football. 

It was only Newcastle though and they sit back so much there's no excuse for not attacking them.

Not mad on the substitutions, Seamus on for Kean was a bit of an odd defensive move, I know he's used sidibe forward a few times before but when we looked pretty comfortable I don't think the change in shape was a good move.

Niasse,  do we have to give him these cameos in order to get rid??

I heard a few people on the radio phone in blaming Carlo for that. 
If you’re 2-0 after 90 minutes and you don’t win, it’s the lads on the pitch who need to take responsibility. Some logic and communication could have just seen out that win, even at 2-1. 
I feel sorry for Carlo after that. 

I think his words in the press and the words spoken in the dressing room might be very different. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

If you’re 2-0 after 90 minutes and you don’t win, it’s the lads on the pitch who need to take responsibility. Some logic and communication could have just seen out that win, even at 2-1. 

I think his words in the press and the words spoken in the dressing room might be very different. 

Sorry but while the players have their share of the blame he absolutely should shoulder the majority of it. If it was Marco Silva that made those subs tonight and invited Newcastle onto us he would have been slaughtered by a lot more of our fans. 

2 hours ago, StevO said:

This all day for me as well.

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Sorry but while the players have their share of the blame he absolutely should shoulder the majority of it. If it was Marco Silva that made those subs tonight and invited Newcastle onto us he would have been slaughtered by a lot more of our fans. 

I’m not happy with his subs either, but after that first goal went in the players on the pitch should have been able to see that game out. Regardless of who the manager is, we had a lot of experienced lads out there. If that kick off is played back to Delph and then into Pickford we kill enough of the game off. But to lump it and then give away a free kick was just ridiculous. The subs weren’t good, but we had enough out there to get the job done with one minute to spare. 

Personally I put the blame on Delph first and foremost for needlessly handing possession straight back to Newcastle after the first goal, It’s twice in 2 games his brain farts have cost us goals when there was no danger at all. Then Tom Davies for giving away a stupid free kick 

47 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’m not happy with his subs either, but after that first goal went in the players on the pitch should have been able to see that game out. Regardless of who the manager is, we had a lot of experienced lads out there. If that kick off is played back to Delph and then into Pickford we kill enough of the game off. But to lump it and then give away a free kick was just ridiculous. The subs weren’t good, but we had enough out there to get the job done with one minute to spare. 

Of course but without the subs we never would have been in that position to fuck it up in the first place. Newcastle were not in the game whatsoever, they weren't pushing us, he makes our substitutions and we went ultra-defensive and then we all know what happened. That tells me that the catalyst was Ancelotti and 99% of us dropping 2 points is on him.

Funny Newcastle make defensive subs and score 2 we make defensive subs and loose 2 goals and blame the manager, strange

Carlo did what most managers do shut up shop and waste a bit of time, this disaster is 100% down to the numptys on the pitch.

How many times have we got to through this before we sort it, please make it stop Carlo.

I didn't see the game so I haven't got a view on which players fucked up and what kind of lack of bottle/leadership/basic footballing intelligence was shown on the pitch. We all know from experience that pretty much all of our players have been guilty of all of that at one point or another. 

But on the subs - I've never liked preemptive defensive subs, the whole 'take what we've got' mentality. It goes wrong so often, not usually from 2-0 up in injury time granted, but the amount of teams you see throw away a 1-0 lead late on following negative subs instead of trying to win the game tells its own story. If a team is all over you and looking odds on to score, sure, make a tactical change. But to make subs that change you're shape and approach when you're cruising, I just don't get it. Keep doing what is working and win the game. 

On fitness levels and whether we had to make the subs for that reason - well I hardly think Bernard has completed 90 mins for us yet and that's a problem. But he was taken off at 83 minutes, not 70. Surely he could have managed another 10, or if you must replace him go like for like with Gordon? Kean - well you'd have thought at 19 having just scored his first PL goal he'd have been buzzing enough to play a full 90, but it doesn't sound like that was much of a problem anyway as Walcott did OK up top. 

As much as different personnel and change in shape/tactics, negative substitutions make affect mentality. This group of players need a fire lit under them, the games Big Dunc was in charge showed that. We were complacent against Liverpool's kids and we took our foot of the gas thinking we'd won last night. That's something Ancellotti has to get a grip of, he's not at Real or AC Milan anymore with a squad of proven winners who motivate themselves to see out games. The signals he sends from the bench matter here. 

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Personally I put the blame on Delph first and foremost for needlessly handing possession straight back to Newcastle after the first goal, It’s twice in 2 games his brain farts have cost us goals when there was no danger at all. Then Tom Davies for giving away a stupid free kick 

100% aren’t the experienced players meant to have a cool head and see the game out. Major blot on his copy book, to add to the others, frustratingly he had a good game until then.

9 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I agree with your points to an extent but the free kick was 50 yards out and in the middle of the pitch. 

It's an abomination to not be able to see out that free kick and for a centre half to not even try and win the header is just mind blowing for me. I can't forgive that irrespective of how they ended up in that position. 

12 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Giving away a needless free kick 50 yards out just invited them to throw everybody forward and then lump it into our box, when that happens it’s a complete lottery no matter how good your defenders are

People can talk about the subs all they like but it was game management pure and simple and IMO it’s hard to argue that the manager got it wrong when Newcastle never managed a single shot on goal until the 94th minute cluster fuck

The first goal was poor defending from the corner the second was shear stupidity by Delph and Davies

Agreed.

I assume Carlo doesn't do his dirty washing in public because some other managers would have called out the complete unprofessionalism that caused the goals.

The levels of professionalism in our team arevscandalous and seemingly contagious. We have had schneiderlein lying on the floor waiting for a foul that wasn't whilst a player picked out the top bin.... add on to that what happened the other night and I hope that behind closed doors the management team have a conversation which sounds like

"Mentally poor, got to go. Passenger, got to go, bad attitude got to go"

Of course on the training pitch he will be all pleasant and keeping them in the dark and motivating them as best as possible toll he calls them aside and says "Bangor city have bid £50k for you, it's too good to turn down, a car is waiting for you"

47 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Agreed.

I assume Carlo doesn't do his dirty washing in public because some other managers would have called out the complete unprofessionalism that caused the goals.

The levels of professionalism in our team arevscandalous and seemingly contagious. We have had schneiderlein lying on the floor waiting for a foul that wasn't whilst a player picked out the top bin.... add on to that what happened the other night and I hope that behind closed doors the management team have a conversation which sounds like

"Mentally poor, got to go. Passenger, got to go, bad attitude got to go"

Of course on the training pitch he will be all pleasant and keeping them in the dark and motivating them as best as possible toll he calls them aside and says "Bangor city have bid £50k for you, it's too good to turn down, a car is waiting for you"

I think we may need to provide a coach to Bangor!

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Yeah I think we will keep our powder dry now until the summer. Not too bothered though as our seasons over anyway

Hopefully he will take a look at some of the youngsters between now and the summer

We're only four points (should be two:angry:) off the European places so I wouldn't write if off just yet.

5 hours ago, Bill said:

Running out of time to bring any in, looks like we're stuck with what we have.

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Yeah I think we will keep our powder dry now until the summer. Not too bothered though as our seasons over anyway

Hopefully he will take a look at some of the youngsters between now and the summer

I’m quite happy with that lads, we’ve got to decent MFs to come back and hopefully they get some decent game time together before the end of the season. 
Also it gives some time for DCL and Kean to try and forge a good partnership. 
I think Ancelotti has shown we have some decent players who can compete given the right direction, so no real problem that we haven’t spent this window.