IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

They're still saying it was disallowed because of offside but surely it can't be offside if a defender got the last touch.

The moment the ball is played forward, Sigurdsson is offside so it doesn’t matter that it hit the defender. If the defender had control of the ball and passed it back then there wouldn’t be any offside.

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

They're still saying it was disallowed because of offside but surely it can't be offside if a defender got the last touch.

Bill there were a few things that the offside rule clearly states it was not off side, as you say there player got the last touch, the keepers view wasn’t obscured, and Gylfi made no attempt to play the ball he actually did the complete opposite. 
We were robbed by the incompetence of VAR and I’m still totally gutted by what’s happened. 

25 minutes ago, c1982 said:

The moment the ball is played forward, Sigurdsson is offside so it doesn’t matter that it hit the defender. If the defender had control of the ball and passed it back then there wouldn’t be any offside.

True enough, the fact that it was an involuntary touch by slabhead makes it irrelevant; if he'd have made an intentional swing at it and the result had been the same then Gylfi would've been played "on". Still think it should've stood though.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

True enough, the fact that it was an involuntary touch by slabhead makes it irrelevant; if he'd have made an intentional swing at it and the result had been the same then Gylfi would've been played "on". Still think it should've stood though.

I’m for VAR in theory but it just seems like Premier League make it up as they go along. The lineman and ref gave the goal and then it was disallowed by VAR. They keep saying that they’ll back the ref and only overturn clear and obvious errors. This wasn’t clear and obvious in that it’s down to the interpretation of ‘in the field of view’. So it should have stood. Add this to the blatant penalty on Siggy 5 seconds prior that in my opinion they didn’t review at the time but later said they did when asked by the Everton interested media. I say they didn’t review it as at the ground there was no ‘checking for penalty’ VAR screen only ‘checking goal’ (& that it was such a clear goal that a blind man with patches over both his eyes at night could have seen it). 

It’s alright though, it’s only little old Everton. 

10 hours ago, c1982 said:

This is and has been the rule since the offside rule was invented as far as I know. 

Similar to the Shits goal in the 80’s euro final. Was it McDermot lying on the floor injured when they scored? The opposition cries for offside, but the goal was given. The big difference was he was to the side and not involved at all.

But for me Gylfi didn’t make any impact on the outcome and the goal should have stood.

10 hours ago, barryj said:

I’m for VAR in theory but it just seems like Premier League make it up as they go along. The lineman and ref gave the goal and then it was disallowed by VAR. They keep saying that they’ll back the ref and only overturn clear and obvious errors. This wasn’t clear and obvious in that it’s down to the interpretation of ‘in the field of view’. So it should have stood. Add this to the blatant penalty on Siggy 5 seconds prior that in my opinion they didn’t review at the time but later said they did when asked by the Everton interested media. I say they didn’t review it as at the ground there was no ‘checking for penalty’ VAR screen only ‘checking goal’ (& that it was such a clear goal that a blind man with patches over both his eyes at night could have seen it). 

It’s alright though, it’s only little old Everton. 

Basically, we're big enough for the authorities to make an example of (not just on this, we've been done on a few other things as we know) but not big enough that we can actually do anything about it.

We're the perfect club for the FA/PL.

13 hours ago, c1982 said:

No your wrong, how many times have we seen players walking back from an offside position while on of their own men run past and play the ball. Your not offside until you play the ball and Siggy didn't.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

No your wrong, how many times have we seen players walking back from an offside position while on of their own men run past and play the ball. Your not offside until you play the ball and Siggy didn't.

Or interfere with play by obstructing the keepers view and he clearly never did that, as the keeper moves to his right to save the shot indicating he had a clear view of DCL and the ball at all times. 

21 hours ago, Bill said:

Or interfere with play as Palfy points out. I don’t think he was interfering with play but that’s the reason the ref/VAR has disallowed it.

The example you’re giving is when players ahead of the game are not interfering with play.

18 hours ago, Palfy said:

Or interfere with play by obstructing the keepers view and he clearly never did that, as the keeper moves to his right to save the shot indicating he had a clear view of DCL and the ball at all times. 

Exactly!

1 hour ago, Bill said:

C1982, the result of var at the match came up on the giant screen as no goal - offside.  In an interview 15 minutes after the game the reason had changed to - in line of the goalies vision.  Both explanations where wrong. I say again.... We got stuffed by VAR.

It hadn't, the reason for the goal (wrongly) not being given was offside however it was explained. There was no way they could've put "no goal - offside because Sigurðsson was in an offside position and obstructing the goalkeepers view" on the screen.

That said you're right, we got stuffed by VAR.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

C1982, the result of var at the match came up on the giant screen as no goal - offside.  In an interview 15 minutes after the game the reason had changed to - in line of the goalies vision.  Both explanations where wrong. I say again.... We got stuffed by VAR.

Offside/ in goalie’s vision are exactly the same explanation of why it was disallowed. I haven’t disagreed about us being stuffed by VAR - we were as I don’t think Gylfi affected the play - as rightly said de Gea was already wrong footed.

Your original post said, ‘They're still saying it was disallowed because of offside but surely it can't be offside if a defender got the last touch.’

I merely pointed out that, it was a deflection and if the ref/VAR (wrongly) saw Gylfi as offside and interfering in play then it CAN be offside if the defender got the last touch with it being a deflection.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

It hadn't, the reason for the goal (wrongly) not being given was offside however it was explained. There was no way they could've put "no goal - offside because Sigurðsson was in an offside position and obstructing the goalkeepers view" on the screen.

That said you're right, we got stuffed by VAR.

But if Siggy had just gotten up and moved we wouldn’t have (even if he was fouled). I’m a fan of his and I’m trying to give him a chance to prove everyone wrong but when he does things like that he’s not helping us or his defense. 

Can somebody tell me what the fuck the last sentence means….... Made an obvious action that impacted de gea's ability to make a save. !!!

A statement read: "In the 91st minute of Everton v Manchester United , Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s goal was disallowed following a VAR Review for an offside offence against Gylfi Sigurdsson.

"The on-field decision was to award the goal, but the VAR advised the referee that Sigurdsson was in an offside position directly in the line of vision of David de Gea and made an obvious action that impacted de Gea’s ability to make a save."

Bad day at the office. We still have an inferiority complex against the typical top 6 sides. We've seen this for years, so it ain't gonna change in a matter of months under anyone.

It's more frustrating when we were edging so close to the top 6. We can still make it but it's a tough ask.

Still, massively glad to have Carlo here and really looking forward to the Summer when he gets a fair chance in the market. That midfield needs urgent attention. I think, hope, we plough big funds into the midfield because, in my opinion, sorting that area out will make a huge difference alone.