IGNORED

James Rodríguez

Could be wrong, but was under the impression he's largely underwhelmed everywhere since the world cup when he exploded on the scene.  Is he a luxury we can afford right now?  Don't we have an over abundance of players in his position?  I would fear he's another who would be on massive wages and impossible to shift if it doesn't work out.  28 now, feels a bit like Gylfi. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Don't think there is anything in this rumour. I'd be questioning the signing of a player approaching 30 years old with no future resale value, a questionable fitness record and no experience in the Premier League in all that time.

He’s 28 so he should be at his peak.

I do agree however there would be limited sell on fees. 

Just now, Matt said:

He’s going to be on a free isn’t he? If there was a choice, I’d rather be throwing a big wage at CE, one of my favourite premier league players in recent times. 

Unless Spurs grab a fee in this transfer window. I’d expect Levi wont want to lose a player for nothing. 

56 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I'm not keen on signing players who will be over 30 within their initial contract terms. I'd rather we are looking at players around 25 years old. Players that still have a bit of room to improve but will also justify their big price tags by either being saleable or signing a contract extension.

You've just described every club's ideal signing no? Simply, I prefer to sign players who are better than the ones we currently have and fit within the culture. Age, value, wages etc. is a Moshiri/Brands issue. If James and a CB can push us up the table to European football his sell on value (or potential lack thereof) is a problem we'd be happy to have 3 years from now when he's approaching the end of his contract. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Neither was Mr Ancelotti according to many media outlets!! 😎 lol

Not sure on this fella - he was boss at Monaco and the World Cup and prob in his 1st season at Real too. But what has he done last 3 yrs?

Badly managed or another case of a player reaching the top and doing a Ronaldiniho??

1 hour ago, Matt said:

He’s going to be on a free isn’t he? If there was a choice, I’d rather be throwing a big wage at CE, one of my favourite premier league players in recent times. 

I'll bet it'll be a lot closer to free than the 43m quoted.  He's entirely surplus to requirements and on daft wages.  Not a peep from any of the other galactico collectors, don't think there'd be much competition to bring him in.  That said, he's a no for me, can you see him doing the hard yards that we need covered?  Luxury player whose done next to nothing for 3 years. 

3 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

whose done next to nothing for 3 years

I'm not an advocate of this one, as not sure he's a "best fit" for us.

The "done nothing" talk (not only you @chicagoblue) seems well off the mark though.  He scored 15 goals & 20 assists across 17/18 & 18/19, in the Bundesliga. That's a bloody decent return for a midfielder.  Not sure what's holding him back this year, injuries?

6 hours ago, Cisk said:

Not sure on this fella - he was boss at Monaco and the World Cup and prob in his 1st season at Real too. But what has he done last 3 yrs?

Badly managed or another case of a player reaching the top and doing a Ronaldiniho??

Robinho?

17 hours ago, Cisk said:

By all accounts he was awesome under Carlo at Bayern.... 

He would be a marquee signing - a £100m player available for £35m.... he would further improve our attraction and quality.  Massively underrated is what I'm reading....

He is an expert at breaking down the lines, clever give and go.... awesome left foot. 

For those James supporters, please check his injury statistics for the past 3 seasons, and then share your honest opinion do you really want him to come here. He's not wanted in Real and Bayern did not activated his loan to buy clause for a reason. I'll make it easier for you:

Season Injury from until Days Games missed
19/20 Medial Collateral Ligament Injury Nov 15, 2019 Dec 23, 2019 38 days 8Real Madrid
19/20 Unknown Injury Nov 1, 2019 Nov 11, 2019 10 days 3Real Madrid
19/20 Calf Injury Aug 26, 2019 Sep 13, 2019 18 days 1Real Madrid
18/19 Calf Problems Apr 28, 2019 May 19, 2019 21 days 4Bayern Munich
18/19 Adductor problems Apr 18, 2019 Apr 23, 2019 5 days 1Bayern Munich
18/19 Ruptured knee ligament Nov 13, 2018 Dec 24, 2018 41 days 8Bayern Munich
18/19 Cold Oct 28, 2018 Nov 1, 2018 4 days 1Bayern Munich
18/19 Ankle problems Aug 9, 2018 Aug 22, 2018 13 days 2Bayern Munich
17/18 Calf Injury Jun 28, 2018 Jul 31, 2018 33 days -
17/18 Fitness Mar 8, 2018 Mar 8, 2018 0 days -
17/18 Calf Problems Feb 22, 2018 Mar 12, 2018 18 days 3Bayern Munich
17/18 Rest Feb 15, 2018 Feb 19, 2018 4 days 1Bayern Munich
17/18 Concussion Nov 27, 2017 Nov 30, 2017 3 days -
17/18 Back trouble Oct 23, 2017 Oct 26, 2017 3 days 1Bayern Munich
17/18 Hamstring Injury Aug 3, 2017 Aug 28, 2017 25 days 4Bayern Munich

Interestingly his form picked up once Ancelotti had been sacked at Bayern. He was coming back from injury during the start of his time at Bayern though. 

He seemed to play a fair amount of games though.

Maybe it would be worth us going for a similar loan deal rather than an outright purchase?